Red Ring Of Death!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If they say you have to pay for the fix, tell them you'd rather just buy a PS3 instead of spending the money for a refurbished unit. They'll replace it free of charge. My cousin did this in early '09 and MS fixed it under warranty.

Yep I did that on my last one 2 years ago...this was before the 3 year thing.

:confused: Yours was past warranty and they're replacing it? Really? I guess I'll give them a call.

I think it's 3 years since the last replacement so I was within that...or they saw it was my 5th one, not sure. I've never been given one was that wasn't dated 12/2005 so maybe this time I'll get a newer one.

Push them enough and they'll give in....I think the first layer you speak with is a someone M$ contracts to take the calls, etc. so move your way up the chain, ask to speak with someone at M$, and I know they'll replace it for free.

Last edited:
Their help page says my standard warranty expired 12/20/07.

but...A three-year warranty applies to Xbox 360 issues that are associated with three red lights. Please click Request a Repair to proceed.

I have 3 red lights. I'm little past 3 years, but hopefully I can get something done.

My broken box is headed to M$ and my Modern Warfare 2 360 console is headed to me. I'll figure out something to do with my extra one when M$ sends it back but I'm excited to get the MW2 one with the huge HD because all i've ever owned was the ones made in 2005 that they keep sending me so I can't wait to use a newer gen 360 but to not have to erase a game to install another game to the 20 GB HD will be a little piece of heaven. Now the wait begins.

Would you expect anything else? if you have a launch 360 its guaranteed to die, just a matter of time.

they arent doing this because they are cool, they HAVE to do this.

Lol...this is true. Hopefully MS will spend more time developing their next system before launching it. As much as I loved my 360, I was really burned when I started hitting that RROD.

Lol...this is true. Hopefully MS will spend more time developing their next system before launching it. As much as I loved my 360, I was really burned when I started hitting that RROD.

I've had 4 RRODs man, no joke. They need to make damn sure the 720 or whatever it is called does not have the same issues. They cant sacrifice too much funtionality for visual asthetics like what they did with the 360.

^^^That's true. People talked a lot of trash about how bad the first Xbox looked, but that sucker is a trooper. All 3 of mine are still working and I've dropped them a couple times. No need to worry about keeping them in an open area for airflow either.

^^^That's true. People talked a lot of trash about how bad the first Xbox looked, but that sucker is a trooper. All 3 of mine are still working and I've dropped them a couple times. No need to worry about keeping them in an open area for airflow either.

Yea my old one still works too! Id rather have a big fat ugly working box of a system than a nice looking blinking red brick.

LOL! I've dropped my once and it was still good to go. And I point a fan at my 360 everytime i play now too. It's dumb. :sick

I actually got the RROD on the first xbox.(i'm old school:)) But i had had it for a long time, and i had no idea what it even was just that it didn't work anymore.

There was no RROD on the original Xbox. The four light-up segments surrounding the power button was unique to the 360. What you had was a malfunctioning original Xbox.

My old Xbox still works, providing you're playing games on it. It gets flakey when I try to play DVDs, though.

For those who have transferred 360 hard drives: If I use the transfer cable to move data over from my 20GB hard drive to my 250 GB one will it transfer my saved games?

probably sounds like a stupid question but I've heard that it will and I've heard that it won't.

Help.

Yep.... It happened yesterday. My console is DOA. :monkey2

Just when things could really hardly get worse. They do. Now I have to call and find out what my options are. Stupid Xbox glitches, never had a system take a dump on me. It sucks.

im on my second 360 my first died exzactly 1 year after l got it then l bought an elite and it worked like a dream now after 3 years.just have to not move it and keep it in an open space.

I've had it happen twice now (once a long time ago and the first run units, then on the replacement they sent).

They used to be pricks about it, wanted to charge me $160 (I haggled 'em down to half that), but they ended up sending me a refund check for what I paid, and apparently they completely cover it nowadays. They'll send you a pre-paid box to send you X-Box in, and you'll see the replacement in about a month.

Good luck man!

not that easy they still hastle you and it depends on if you still hav warranty mine died 3 days after my warranty expired and in a nice way they told me to bad go buy another one.

For those who have transferred 360 hard drives: If I use the transfer cable to move data over from my 20GB hard drive to my 250 GB one will it transfer my saved games?

probably sounds like a stupid question but I've heard that it will and I've heard that it won't.

Help.

Why yes Vader AL, I just tried it and it moves over everything you have on your hard drive(although games you downloaded from the Live Arcade will have to be accessed from Live so you'll have to be logged in to play those now). Also it does work with the 250 GB Hard Drive as long as you have most up-to-date transfer disc.

Back