Recommend a state to visit in the USA

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you make L.A. your base you can rent a car and see about everything. Santa Barbara, San Diego, South Bay Beaches, etc. Vegas is only 5 hours away, as is San Francisco.

Hi guys, thanks for the awesome responses so far.

The missus and I are interested in seeing nature and the great outdoors though it would be great if there were guides of some sorts to bring us around.

I think we'll be able to squeeze 21 days over there.

California sounds good but i reckon it'd be winter so i'm not sure how that would work out.

Was originally planning on florida until the BP incident.

How's LA?

thanks again.

LA like Louisiana or Los Angeles?
Los Angeles in winter is no big deal... neither is Louisiana.
If you're wanting "nature", I'd recommend the Grand Canyon. It's beautiful with or without snow...

Florida. Most of the beaches don't have oil covering it, as you may believe, and most of Florida is friendly (except for South Florida), there are theme parks, NASA, etc etc.

Hi guys, thanks for the awesome responses so far.

The missus and I are interested in seeing nature and the great outdoors though it would be great if there were guides of some sorts to bring us around.

I think we'll be able to squeeze 21 days over there.

California sounds good but i reckon it'd be winter so i'm not sure how that would work out.

Was originally planning on florida until the BP incident.

How's LA?

thanks again.

If you want to see nature and the great out doors I wouldn't go to Florida or California and I wouldn't go in Dec unfortunately.

If you want to see nature and the great out doors I wouldn't go to Florida or California and I wouldn't go in Dec unfortunately.

yeah, i know. winter period isn't the best time.

But, its the only time of the year i can get some time off; well at least for this year.

so its a little of making do with what i have. the alternative is to go NZ or Japan if the US is not doable :)

yeah, i know. winter period isn't the best time.

But, its the only time of the year i can get some time off; well at least for this year.

so its a little of making do with what i have. the alternative is to go NZ or Japan if the US is not doable :)

Not to hate on my home country but I hear NZ is a pretty amazing place to visit.

who the hell would want to go to florida right now, especially for the beaches? ...seriously?

OilSpillBeach.jpg

oil-spill-beach420-420x0.jpg

_44236841_spill_beach_ap.jpg

stick to california, or new york city. everywhere else sucks.:lecture

Yeah! Because every beach in the state looks like that!

:slap:slap:slap

Florida. Most of the beaches don't have oil covering it, as you may believe, and most of Florida is friendly (except for South Florida), there are theme parks, NASA, etc etc.

This X100.

I'm not sure why some people think many of FL's beaches are covered in oil. They're not.

Not even close.

95% of them are just as gorgeous as they have always been. But I guess some people love talking out of their ass.

:lecture

This X100.

I'm not sure why some people think many of FL's beaches are covered in oil. They're not.

Not even close.

95% of them are just as gorgeous as they have always been. But I guess some people love talking out of their ass.

:lecture

thanks for the input. will collate and make a decision asap. need to change currency and book tickets soon.

:D Keep it coming guys.

^^^ Well, yeah. Old people DO love to retire here; must be a reason for that, right? : )

The only annoyance one could face when visiting SOUTH Florida is during the Winter...and that's just because of all the nasty French Canadians that decide to infest it.

Don't get me wrong, I love Canadians. Have many, MANY friends from Canada(specifically, Toronto).

But Quebec...

No.

Just...no.

Yeah there is also a reason this song exists.

<object width="480" height="385">

<embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/zc4FXHunHMw&hl=en_US&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></object>

Yeah there is also a reason this song exists.

<object width="480" height="385">

<embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/zc4FXHunHMw&hl=en_US&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></object>

I counter your David Lee Roth with Will Smith:
object>

When my international friends ask for advice on where to visit in the US, I also tell them what you've already read on various posts here -- it is just too big to find a particular place/state to get a full flavor of the diversity of this country, both in people and geography. I normally recommend a "Great Western National Parks" tour. It will require a self-driven vehicle (car) and a very good road map of US. The route includes dips into Texas (as far south as desired), then over to New Mexico, then through Arizona by way of 4 Corners/Monument Valley, up to the Grand Canyon (south rim) then to Lake Mead/Hoover Dam, then Las Vegas and up to Salt Lake City (doing a side trip to Yosemite NP) then to Shasta/Crater Lake/Columbia Gorge then to Yellowstone NP (via Grand Tetons/West Yellowstone entrance), exit thru NE side thru Shoshone NP, then down to Wyoming heading to Denver with sidetrips to other NPs in/around that area. Then back up toward the Dakotas (passing Devil's Tower along the way) to Mount Rushmore/Rapid City area. From there, it's eastward to whatever metropolis of your choice - Chicago, NY, Washington, DC. The NP tour can be done in 1-1/2 to 2 weeks, although it might be a bit of a push. That's what's so good about having a car -- you can do a small bit of dawdling along the way. If you're a nature lover, there's nothing that beats this IMO.

If you were going in the summer, I would suggest the US, but since you can only go in the winter, I give you NZ...

Back