Received a damaged Captain America on EBay, what can I do? Please Advise!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The seller has just emailed me to say that Paypal have withdrawn the money from his account.

Do I just wait until it appears on my credit card and then ship it back to him or do I ship it back asap?

At the moment I don't see anything on my own account and the credit card company say it could take up to seven working days to appear on my online statement.

Are you still liasing with him through paypal?.
I know when i had a similar situation, when i opened a paypal dispute and then escalated it to a claim, they automatically took the funds from the sellers account, to ensure that if you win the dispute that the money is there to pay you back.

If I were you, I would contact paypal by email to confirm they have seized his funds about this matter, if they have, then ship the package back to him, fully insured with tracking.That way he cannot say he never had it returned or it was even more damaged.Just re-package it exactly how you received it and (once paypal confirm the money seizure) send it back. Once he receives it back you should then get your refund.

At least thats how it worked for me.:dunno
Hope it all works out :duff
x

I spoke to Paypal on the phone and the CS guy told me to escalate it to a claim. At present the funds have been frozen from his account. That way they can get involved regarding the return of the package and the shipping information. Is this the correct way to do it?

I spoke to Paypal on the phone and the CS guy told me to escalate it to a claim. At present the funds have been frozen from his account. That way they can get involved regarding the return of the package and the shipping information. Is this the correct way to do it?

Yes it is!

I spoke to another operative and she told me to escalate it to a claim to protect myself in the event of having to return the item. Paypal will then contact me and if necessary will provide me with shipping information for the return. I'm not to ship unless they inform me to do so.

Well in future I think I'm going to stay away from older statues on EBay.

Luckily I'm only on the lookout for an Iron Man Comiquette and a Magdalena AP, they would be my grails and top two statues. If I get those, well and good but from now on it'll be new statues directly from the producer, a proper retailer or a trusted forum member.

Last edited:
Well in future I think I'm going to stay away from older statues on EBay.

Luckily I'm only on the lookout for an Iron Man Comiquette and a Magdalena AP, they would be my grails and top two statues. If I get those, well and good but from now on it'll be new statues directly from the producer, a proper retailer or a trusted forum member.

Be careful because I am going through the same thing with an Iron Man comiquette that I bought off of ebay and the seller was 100% feedback. It sucks to have to deal with such a situation but you dont want to be taken advantage of either.

Going back to my original query, am I entitled to a refund. Under legislation in the UK I would be if I was dealing with a shop, but because its with another person through Ebay I'm not sure.

Because it was insured you are not entitled to a refund from the seller. You are entitled to make a claim with the post office. Your resolution is in their hands. If it was mint when he shipped this is not the fault of the seller.

Here(UK), unless the package was severly damaged in transit or some visible wear and tear is shown on the box that could have caused damage, then the post office here put it down to improper packaging of the item inside the box and will not honour a claim, therefore blaming the seller.

Once a paypal claim has been excalated and the funds seized, if you return the item as instructed then you will get your refund direct from paypal, the seller will then have to deal with the po.
x

Well I've been told in a paypal email to return the item to the seller and provide paypal with the information. Seller seems to be getting a bit annoyed with the fact I escalated it to a claim under Paypal but I keep telling him that I'm only following their instructions.

Well I've been told in a paypal email to return the item to the seller and provide paypal with the information. Seller seems to be getting a bit annoyed with the fact I escalated it to a claim under Paypal but I keep telling him that I'm only following their instructions.

Let him get annoyed, you are doing everything by the book which will ensure you receive your money, what more does he expect?.Just keep things as civil as you can as you say by telling him you are only doing as paypal directed you to.
Hope it all works out for you, sounds like it will.
Awesome choice getting the Magdalena AP btw, you'll love her, hope you get her soon.
x

basically the way you are doing it, it puts him on the line if the insurance company doesn't pay...and really forces him to interact with the insurance company. basically if they don't pay you get your money back via paypal and he gets a damaged statue back. tell him there are probably people here who would buy it.....probably for a lesser amount though.

Let him get annoyed, you are doing everything by the book which will ensure you receive your money, what more does he expect?.Just keep things as civil as you can as you say by telling him you are only doing as paypal directed you to.
Hope it all works out for you, sounds like it will.
Awesome choice getting the Magdalena AP btw, you'll love her, hope you get her soon.
x

Well hopefully I'll get one someday, although this current incident is turning me off EBay at the moment

Well hopefully I'll get one someday, although this current incident is turning me off EBay at the moment

She is worth it, believe me.She doesnt seem to be as available as she was but I will keep an look out for you. Fleabay unfortunately is a necessary evil.
There are still a lot of great sellers out there its just not fair that a bad few ruin it for some.Likewise with buyers, plenty of bad buyers out there too.
Dont let it get you down.
x

On a positive note I got a Bowen Yellow Daredevil fullsize delivered from a seller in America today. In mint condition and looks fantastice.

Now on to getting that Iron Man Hulkbuster Bust..................

:drool

Let him be...maybe he'll tell the truth next time in his life instead of acting dumb like he didn't know about the damage. :duh

Any collectors out there would inspect their items very carefully...

Back