Received a damaged Captain America on EBay, what can I do? Please Advise!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah man talk to the guy, get some money back, grab some putty, a pot of white paint and pick up a paintbrush!
Geez:maul

...Thing is risk is part of the game here! We all pay stupid amounts of cash to ebayers and various overseas faceless sellers, then hold our breath until the thing is unpacked in front of us. I just dont think we should be surprised if we get something less than perfect!
Just count your lucky stars its just minor and fixable.
This stuff about him screwing you is BS. Just deal with him reasonably and you'll be FINE

Firstly lets get one thing straight, I am dealing with the seller in a polite and mature fashion. No one is throwing allegations around please stop doing so.

Secondly, when you pay a large amount of money for any item you expect it to be in the condition it was advertised as, in this case it was described as being Mint. I'm not being anal, I'm only acting in response to the fact it was described as Mint and I got a piece that had damage. You might be willing to accept it but I'm not.

I think there's a school of thought on these boards that if a person isn't happy with a statue and complains well then they're anal. Its actually called getting what you paid for.

True, true, however there is a definite fine line.
All i'm saying is you should count yourself lucky it wasnt the head that snapped off rather than a bit of white paint. It's all about perspective mate.
But good luck all the same

He screwed you! I had this happen a year ago with an excl. IM comiquette I bought. Paint chips were missing in no less than 8-10 places but not a single paint chip in the packing materials. I made a beeline for the post office and was told I could file an inse. claim, but there was no way it would be paid out because there was no way it was damaged during shipping. The 1st thing the post office employee asked me was "where are the paint chips?"

exactly....

the same thing happened to me with a balrog. no pieces of paint and poly, no refund. he hosed ya, man :(

Another dishonest eBayer. If the seller is reading this, then he can go to hell and get one of these :gun

Hold on a second guys, this seller has excellent feedback and has been in contact with me. We're dealing with it in an amicable fashion.

Please don't start throwing words around like dishonest, dumping junk etc. He's completing an insurance claim and I've opened a dispute with paypal. Hopefully the matter will be resolved.

Firstly lets get one thing straight, I am dealing with the seller in a polite and mature fashion. No one is throwing allegations around please stop doing so.

Well I'm sorry, but on the surface this seller is dishonest, and is dumping his junk. There are no paint remnants in the package. He sold you the statue under false pretences. It is not mint. He has your money. He files an insurance claim, and you get your money back, and he gets premium dollar for a damaged article. Fraudster. How's that for an allegation. We'll see how he goes with the insurance claim, and how this eventuates.

Fair enough, there is no reason for you to get riled, and you should keep on acting in the most pleasant manner. Give him two weeks then escalate your dispute to a claim. Keep all your correspondence. Just be aware of the time you have. Best check with ebay on that, from memory it's 45 days from sale. Just make sure you escalate it to a claim within the time period. Let the seller know you have to, because of time restraints. Then you can claim through your card if Paypal don't get any action. Just check with your credit provider. I think it's 90 days.

Good luck.

Secondly, when you pay a large amount of money for any item you expect it to be in the condition it was advertised as, in this case it was described as being Mint. I'm not being anal, I'm only acting in response to the fact it was described as Mint and I got a piece that had damage. You might be willing to accept it but I'm not.

I think there's a school of thought on these boards that if a person isn't happy with a statue and complains well then they're anal. Its actually called getting what you paid for.

..Honestly...do you really want to go through the hassels of shipping and dealing with the post office? Not telling you what to do...but for me, my time is very valuable..and it won't take alot of skill to repair that damage.
It is strange you could not find the white chips... and I know you feel cheated...but when looked at a different perspective...there seems to be an easier way out....IMO. :D

That's good that you're dealing w/ the seller, but he's still a liar. You have told us that you couldn't find any fallen white chip, so it's obvious that he lied to you.

Anyhow, it sounds like you know what to do to resolve the issue.

I'm wondering, was this an international purchase, ie was customs involved. If so, is it possible that they opened the packaging, resulting in the paint chip (and hence why the chips are not in the styrofoam) and then packed it back up.
On the ebay listing was actual pics of the statue used or just the general Sideshow ones. I allways get a little worried when they don't show images of their actual item.

I've entered this as a dispute with Paypal.

The seller contacted me this morning, he told me to return the statue. The statue has to arrive in the condition which I got it in.

He's pursuing an insurance claim with the shipping company and he will then refund me the money.

Is this the normal way to proceed, for me to return it and then get the refund? I presume if I return it and then he doesn't refund me the money I keep all tracking info for the return and escalate it to a complaint with paypal?

AS a sidenote he said I might not be able to find the paint chips as all the internal packaging was white :)

I've entered this as a dispute with Paypal.

The seller contacted me this morning, he told me to return the statue. The statue has to arrive in the condition which I got it in.

He's pursuing an insurance claim with the shipping company and he will then refund me the money.

Is this the normal way to proceed, for me to return it and then get the refund? I presume if I return it and then he doesn't refund me the money I keep all tracking info for the return and escalate it to a complaint with paypal?
AS a sidenote he said I might not be able to find the paint chips as all the internal packaging was white :)

By all means Ken, hold onto your shipping receipt and all other documentation. Hopefully you paid for the statue using your credit card because Paypal is a joke, and you may have to file a chargeback with your credit card company should things go bad.

I'm not sure how inse. claims work in the UK but I can guarantee that here in Canada or the U.S. if there is no outward damage to the shipping box and/or no broken pieces/paint chips inside the box the claim will be denied. Sounds like the seller might be stalling for time. Normally I would be willing to give a guy the benefit of the doubt, but he has already clearly lied to you about the condition of the statue in the first place. Paint chips don't simply disappear into thin air.....no not even the white ones :rolleyes:

I do not think the insurance will cover the damage to this statue. The purpose of the insurance is to protect the statue from damage during shipping. The insurance company will argue that this is a paint defect in the statue and even if the paint chips were in the box they are not responsible for them coming off. You should make it clear with the seller that he will send you a refund once the statue is returned to him and not when he gets the money from the insurance company.

The seller has just emailed me to say that Paypal have withdrawn the money from his account.

Do I just wait until it appears on my credit card and then ship it back to him or do I ship it back asap?

At the moment I don't see anything on my own account and the credit card company say it could take up to seven working days to appear on my online statement.

I do not think the insurance will cover the damage to this statue. The purpose of the insurance is to protect the statue from damage during shipping. The insurance company will argue that this is a paint defect in the statue and even if the paint chips were in the box they are not responsible for them coming off. You should make it clear with the seller that he will send you a refund once the statue is returned to him and not when he gets the money from the insurance company.

man, freakin shipping insurance is a joke. I filed one not too long ago for a psylocke statue that I got that came broken...the box was literally dented 3 inches in.
so I'm waiting for the guy who shipped it to send me the receipt and all that, he sends me a copy and I go in to file a claim, and usps says it's no good, they need the original.
so I go back and ask for the original...finally get it and file again. they accept it this time but call me over the weekend to tell me to bring in a receipt from paypal that says how much I paid for the thing. so I bring it in the following monday and get a receipt from usps for the claim.
not 3 weeks later, just this past friday actually, they tell me I filed it too late. they only allow 60 days from date of shipping for any claims to be filed. I checked my receipt, and I'm off by like 1 day!! I'm like WTF?? they didn't put a note that said I had to go back several times to get differnt things and that I was there 2-3 weeks prior to the deadline??
I'm definitely going to fight this one...POS usps...

My suggestion is to find out everything you need to do and do it fast. I really don't think you should send back the statue unless the postal service says you have to do that.

Here is what I did. If you look at my thread im kinda in the same position with an iron man statue I bought. After opening dipute with paypal we came to an agreement of a full refund, however he did want the statue first so he can inspect it. My concern was the same as yours. I didnt know if he would retaliate and not give me a refund and keep his statue that i sent back. So I called paypal and I was advised by a paypal rep to open a claim as this will guarantee that once the seller recieves the item you get your money so this way I dont have to worry about that senerio. Paypal sent the open claim to him so Im just awaiting response

Back