Recaster! Curse upon you!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They are all no longer available.

I don't know if this person bought someones custom clones and is recasting that persons work too.

I sent the seller a message asking him what he thought SS might think about his recasting of their sculpt. It seems I got my point across.

Hes a naughty boy,and I have it on good authority hes bought others pieces and recasted them too,this is what scares me about my up coming Republic commando armor set.....however I have made a mold of my SSc Luke and casted the head with some minor alterations for use on my pieces (hoth pilot,bespin Luke)Im fairly sure his clone pieces are kotobukiya copies too.

Darth Loki said:
I sent the seller a message asking him what he thought SS might think about his recasting of their sculpt. It seems I got my point across.

Sick 'em Loki! :emperor

LOTRFan said:
Sick 'em Loki! :emperor

Seriously, go get 'em. That has to be SO illegal. Send a message to eBay customer service and inform them that this guy is taking already established copywritten materials and selling it without the proper Copyright holder's permission. Once you do that, this seller WILL stop. Either that, or inform SS, they might threaten this guy, or not care.

Darklord Dave said:
I think modified sculpts are a different animal completely. And if they took Luke and recast it, put it on a HT body and did a Dagobah costume for him and sold it as custom - that's different too.

But to take an commercial sculpt, recast it and sell it as a "custom" sculpt - that's just not right.

Dave is 100% right... I agree as well...

Darklord Dave said:
I think modified sculpts are a different animal completely. And if they took Luke and recast it, put it on a HT body and did a Dagobah costume for him and sold it as custom - that's different too.

But to take an commercial sculpt, recast it and sell it as a "custom" sculpt - that's just not right.

Can't Sideshow go after guys like this? This type of thing shouldn't be allowed to continue.

Go easy on the guy. He just needs some extra money to supplement his bootleg DVD income and the cash he gets from putting empty PS3 boxes on eBay.

Dang. I hate ***holes like that. And I wouldn't even call it have the nerve or balls to do it. I think he's an untalented moron who doesn't know how much trouble he can get into.

Actually, I was hoping somebody would make some recasts because I have been wanting to make some customs and I can't afford to pay secondary market prices for a sold-out figure. I will gladly buy some of his recasts if he offers them again but it looks like he closed his auctions because he wasn't getting any takers. I think $12 is fair but a $20 buy-it-now is too much. I don't mind materials expenses and a few bucks for his time but an overinflated profit off of somebody else's work is where it crosses the line. But $12 and I will gladly buy some.

Whats that parasite from South American rivers that swims into the urethra?
That sounds appropriate to me.

It was on another forum where I heard (read) that you cannot sell anything to do with a licence (a resculpt custom etc.) unless you had that licence.

The guy made his own figures for a well known licence that looked nothing like the original sculpts/poses (it was a book before it was a movie) but was not allowed to use any reference title at all.

For instance Grey Wizard was not allowed and he had to sell it as Old Man with walking stick. Makes sense really as otherwise what would be the point of buying a licence if someone else can just make stuff without it.

Cheers
Yogie

Well, with Star Wars there is an understanding that custom stuff is allowed as long as it's kept small and it's not like made into a job, so if I make a custom figure of a Star Wars character I could make some for others who wanted it if they paid me for it, but if I made like 100 and put them on ebay then that would be illegal because it's obvious I'd be making them just for profit and not because it's my hobby. It's not so easy for other custom work from other movies, but this is clearly not legal.

Back