RECAST ALERT: Sideshow & Sideshow Weta LOTR items !!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Golf clubs, rolex's and the RWOS ... damn Asian copyright "laws." :monkey1 :gah:

The reigns don't look like the real leather that the SSW piece has. :dunno

The sad thing is that if someone is more of a modeler, rather than a collector, then these recasts will sell like fresh cookies. If someone cares just about the sculpt, not the edition number/originality etc. then this is a strike for them. A simple home-made resin-recast will show very little loss in quality(if any at all). As for the paint-job, there are many modelers out there, for whom even the sideshow factory paintapp is not enough, so they are likely to repaint the pieces anyway.
There is probably no shortage of cash for thiefs like this.

Wonder what steps Sideshow Legal is doing to combat this.

Piece is long sold out so SS would have to throw good money for no gain fighting a system protected by the powers that be with no sign of changing anytime soon. If the record and movie industry can't win then SS isn't even in the game here.

sadly there's pretty much nothing ssc can do against these a-holes.
different country that pretty much doesn't care one bit about copyrights. all we can do is bring it to ebay's attention and hope they can continue to take down the auctions.

i see that they're not even mentioning that it's sideshow or that it's even related to the original piece. so i don't think ssc can do a thing about it. the only ones that could probably get it removed would be the LOTR licensors:dunno

I never buy from overseas but I wonder how often somebody buys a recast (innocently or knowingly) from outside the U.S. then later lists it on eBay? It's made me scrutinize items even more now.

I used to hope that one day I would acquire a Predator 1:1 bust - I don't really even think about it much now.

I've seen some of these SS recasts posted and some of them look too good. I would not be surprised if there are extra castings being made at the factory.

Here are some comparison pics of my personal "real" Morgul Lord bust.

A_morgul_lord_lsb9.jpg
A_morgul_lord_lsb1.jpg
A_morgul_lord_lsb3.jpg
A_morgul_lord_lsb6.jpg

The fake ones I have seen on ebay do look nice I must admit. The biggest flaw on the Morgul Lord bust was that the pointed tip of his helm for many of the Sideshow busts was curved/warped and crooked. My bust was no different. I needed to take a blow dryer to it and bend it to shape. Seems the recasts do not have this problem...

Last edited:
these LOTR recasts are all from a Chinese company called OGRM, it is easy to tell the difference between the fack and the original one, OGRM only use their own package, no outside color box, and the inside foam container is different from sideshow's as well. They also recasted ringwaith on steed, starcraft marine, some WOW statues, predator bio helmets. King Kong and V rex skull, HR Giger Chair...... but the painting is inferior. So if you find any of these statues on ebay with no color box or loose, selling at low price, dont buy

they also done some modification to the original statues they used to recast, and didnt add any numbers or paints on the button, or aviod using sideshow package, in order to distinguish them from the original one. For example, when they recasted the T800 endoskeleton they simply changed the paint scheme, so you can't say they are pure recasts, they even manufactured pure cooper version T800 endoskeleton. If memory is correct, OGRM is initially an offical producer of LOTR jewelries nd Blizzard souvenirs, at least they claim they have the offical lisence, but I have no idea whats going on with this company these 2 years
their offical site https://www.ogrm.net/

Last edited:
they also done some modification to the original statues they used to recast, and didnt add any numbers or paints on the button, or aviod using sideshow package, in order to distinguish them from the original one. For example, when they recasted the T800 endoskeleton they simply changed the paint scheme, so you can't say they are pure recasts, they even manufactured pure cooper version T800 endoskeleton. If memory is correct, OGRM is initially an offical producer of LOTR jewelries nd Blizzard souvenirs, at least they claim they have the offical lisence, but I have no idea whats going on with this company these 2 years
their offical site https://www.ogrm.net/

Oh my god, they even make lots recast of alchemygothic, poor English....

No box but he shows pictures of the packaging foam in the pics? :dunno

Bottom line for me I don't buy from China; and CERTAINLY NOT high-dollar, sought-after statues.

Back