Ready to order! -Djas Puhr, Labria, Nikto, Tessek, and Barada

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey guys, any update on the measurements?

I spent about 20-30mins with these calculating and I'm pretty sure they are spot-on for 1/6, but others can weigh in.

I've just done the one dimension because I figured that's all you need to scale the whole thing and also the vertical height is trickier to make clear due to the detailing. Basically, this is both heads measured at the widest point.

FYI the same dimension on Klaatu/Wooolf in-hand/currently is about 44mm. So overall the correct size would be a little over 18% bigger than the sizing that was previously uploaded to Shapeways (that created the too-small head.)

BaNZDgB.png

Ok, since nobody else commented I take those m3asirements are good. I'll try to get them scaled in the next few days. Recovery takes longer than I had optimistically anticipated, I was tole to take it slow...

Ok, since nobody else commented I take those m3asirements are good. I'll try to get them scaled in the next few days. Recovery takes longer than I had optimistically anticipated, I was tole to take it slow...

Sent you a PM.

To me, that Klaatu sculpt still looks a bit small.

Yeah, if you're referring to it, the measurements matched pic above is just showing the two heads as if they were physically next to each other, illustrating that the printed one is too small.

If you print out or resize the 51/52mm (51 is correct) dimension in the print pic above, that is the size I think it needs to be.

Hey guys, I have now updated the two Klaatus and Tessek ( with some slight alterations to the sculpt TaliBane had pointed out ). The new versions are based on the measurements in the thread. However I am taking it slowly to give the hand time to heal and will be updating and resizing the other heads over the week instead of doing them all at once and ending up crying :D
Hand is getting better, the splint and bandages are off now, however it still feels quite clumsy, a bit like a water filled rubber glove and as said I don't want to force it too hard. More to come soon!

Hope that hand is on the mend fast!

Could you clarify what the ordering of the dimensions shown on the Shapeways are? The first dimension for new helmeted Klaatu is obviously the front view's width (because it's the new/corrected 51mm width,) but is the second dimension listed the height or the depth?

The weird thing is that when I set that 51mm width on the front view (using the 3D view rotated to evenly face camera) and then measure the other dimensions I don't get 60.6mm for either height or depth. Seems a bit less.

With 51mm precisely scaled for the two widest points in front view (outermost curves of his helmet,) the other dimensions scale to maybe 57mm for vertical height and around 50mm for depth. Yet the Shapeways page lists the item dimensions as 5.1 X 6.06 X 5.27cm. Not sure why it's not coming out right.

And if you mathematically scale up my too-small head's original vertical height by the same percentage that the width has been upscaled (the width increased from 45mm up to 51mm, so multiply by 1.133) the height goes from about 49mm to 55.5mm, not 60.6mm height as shown on the page.

Hm, well my software tells me exactly the same as the shapeways page.

measurementsjds2i.jpg

x is width, y is height and z is depth. That's why I said to use the image to scale the head and not the print, as you will most likely not get the same angle when measuring and thus the measurement will be off depending on the angle you measure.

See pic for explanations:
measurements2d1skt.jpg

The green line on the right is the one the software bases the measurements on and it depends on the orientation of the sculpt in the 3D space. the red line represents what you probably would have measured with the calipers. Note how the green one is longer than the red one and thus will result longer than what you measured. So as long as the measurements you take are taken from the pictures I provide, they will be correct as they have the same orientation in 3D space as the exported files.

Hope that explains it. Let me know if you need more input.

okay, got it.

So what I did was orient that 3D viewer on the Shapeways page to match the orientation of the head in your side view - but when you scale the X-dimension (between outermost points of the "mickey mouse ears" part of the helmet) to 51mm, it still doesn't quite create a 60.5mm Y dimension like yours is. This is the pic I'm using (which is close to the same tilt you have your head at):

u3Ng7mb.png

I'm trying to get the head to the exact 51X60.5mm full size in a paper print so I can reconfirm the size when placed on 12" figures. But I can't seem to get that head on the paper print to actually be 51mm in X-dimension and also 60.6mm in Y-dimension. If you take the image above and zoom it until the X-dimension is 51mm, the Y-dimension is around 58mm.

It's only 2.5mm but I'm just concerned that even that small undersize difference might make the head seem a bit less voluminous than it really is.

It's a bit of a mystery as to why my view won't display the Y-dimension at the full 60.5mm because there's no perspective in it.

I think the problem is the shapeways viewer then. Please use the pics I loaded up and not the shapeways previews. I just measured it on the screen and at 51mm width I got 60,6mm so it's definately the shapeways viewer distorting the image.

Hello all, sorry I have not been on the board lately but work always seems to interrupt my fun. I received my heads from Shapeways in late june. I have not measured them yet but they say they were rescaled. I would like to start painting some but I'm not sure of the colors. Ex: what color green for Klattu , what color brown for Nikto etc,etc. I feel as I'm getting older I'm getting color blind, any help would be appreciated and Chris, your work is truly fantastic, I wish I had your talent my friend. Keith

Sorry for the bad quality. I was taking a quick break at work and wanted to share the information. Because I’m working at a NASA site, I could not post the photos directly. … Just took pictures of my personal computer using my phone to try to help you quickly. :)

Hello all, sorry I have not been on the board lately but work always seems to interrupt my fun. I received my heads from Shapeways in late june. I have not measured them yet but they say they were rescaled. I would like to start painting some but I'm not sure of the colors. Ex: what color green for Klattu , what color brown for Nikto etc,etc. I feel as I'm getting older I'm getting color blind, any help would be appreciated and Chris, your work is truly fantastic, I wish I had your talent my friend. Keith

Thanks for the kind words guys.

Unfortunately, I don't use one color on each sculpt.. I usually mix 2-3 colors to get the one I want. I always paint each character a bit different to add variety.

Basically a "burnt sienna" for Nikto.

For Klaatu, a base green with various amounts of white added to certain areas.

Pretty much what Steven showed above.

Good luck. Hope this helps. Post pics!

Back