Ready to order! -Djas Puhr, Labria, Nikto, Tessek, and Barada

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Happy to help if I can. Please forgive any delayed replies from me.

I have tried this synthetic color version at least once before. I always have to keep in mind that the dye will essentially tint the existing fabric. Sometimes I soak the fabric in color remover or bleach to lighten it first. Also, the thread may not change much in color. I have read that Superstar customizers like Chakaman paint over the stitching if I recall correctly.

https://www.ritdye.com/type/dyemore-for-synthetics/

https://www.ritdye.com/instructions/how-to-use-rit-color-remover/

Have fun. :) I look forward to seeing character creations.

OK thanks for breaking it down for me. Excuse my ignorance anyway, but how do you dye synthetic fabric? Is it even possible?

Thanks again,
m.

I’d love to see what you come up with. Frankly I’m lost on where to even begin on the outfit haha.

I was thinking a Vietnam era flak vest for starters. You could attach greeblies to it.

s-l400.jpg

The rest would be pretty easy to find, but would require dye or paintwork. Baggy military clothing probably.

The toughest part would be his forearm bracers. Shoulder pads could be made. Belt, buckles and pouches can be sourced.

Looking forward to putting him together.

I was thinking a Vietnam era flak vest for starters. You could attach greeblies to it.

View attachment 463473

The rest would be pretty easy to find, but would require dye or paintwork. Baggy military clothing probably.

The toughest part would be his forearm bracers. Shoulder pads could be made. Belt, buckles and pouches can be sourced.

Looking forward to putting him together.

Good ideas, thanks. His forearm bracers’ pipe thingeys actually look pretty similar to the Death Trooper’s, perhaps making a cast of that would work? (I have no idea what they’re called)

Happy to help if I can. Please forgive any delayed replies from me.

I have tried this synthetic color version at least once before. I always have to keep in mind that the dye will essentially tint the existing fabric. Sometimes I soak the fabric in color remover or bleach to lighten it first. Also, the thread may not change much in color. I have read that Superstar customizers like Chakaman paint over the stitching if I recall correctly.

https://www.ritdye.com/type/dyemore-for-synthetics/

https://www.ritdye.com/instructions/how-to-use-rit-color-remover/

Have fun. :) I look forward to seeing character creations.

Forgive you? Come on... After my experiences on this forum lately, now I just feel fortunate each time I get answered, especially without being insulted.

Thanks for the tip for both products. Only thing that frightens me is the likely chance of ruining things and not getting a good looking end result, as you seem to warn about. But then I look at your end result, the very red pilot flightsuit that once was yellow, and it seems that the color remover+synthetic fabric dye should be a killer combo, right? Or do you mean that certain synthetic fibers react less to these products, and you just got very lucky that the Bossk suit did react?
And regarding the Chakaman bit: painting "over the stitching"? What do you mean? That the stitching and the fabric might react differently to these products, and that you might end up with the stitching being of a different colour than the fabric...?

Thanks again,
m.

And regarding the Chakaman bit: painting "over the stitching"? What do you mean? That the stitching and the fabric might react differently to these products, and that you might end up with the stitching being of a different colour than the fabric...?

Thanks again,
m.

In some cases, the dye does not take to the stiching the same as the fabric. I use watered down acrylics and go over them to get them to match.

In some cases, the dye does not take to the stiching the same as the fabric. I use watered down acrylics and go over them to get them to match.

Wow... that's some labour of love right there.
Thanks for the heads-up Chakaman.

Took me a bit longer and it was sunday and all that...

twotubesriflezfjak.jpg

However I could need some help in scaling the rifle, I might have to split the barrel off to make it fit in the printer if it's too long overall. So it might turn out being two parts in the end.

Nice.

At this time (day job), I cannot estimate in millimeters but this might help. I think the character is 1.9 m tall. And the rifle height goes very close to his ear area.

4706644C-4FBF-4903-B39E-3CA15029143F.jpg

Took me a bit longer and it was sunday and all that...

twotubesriflezfjak.jpg

However I could need some help in scaling the rifle, I might have to split the barrel off to make it fit in the printer if it's too long overall. So it might turn out being two parts in the end.

Yes, I have definitely ruined several things. Sometimes I will order 2 instead to have a back up. For me it’s better than ordering again and having To wait a month or so for the part. There’s many times things turn out very grungy looking but sometimes that works out. I believe you’re interpreting what I was mentioning correctly. On YouTube I believe there’s some videos how about dying fabric. It’s been a while. I usually try a regular dye first and then if it just does not work I try the synthetic dye. Sometimes I feel that I have failed more than I have succeeded. As much as possible I set up a little experiments and let it dry. I’ve learned that the fabric always looks darker whenever it is wet and I’ve also learned it’s easier to darken it as opposed to removing the dye and starting over.

The Bossk suit was not too terribly difficult to dye.

Forgive you? Come on... After my experiences on this forum lately, now I just feel fortunate each time I get answered, especially without being insulted.

Thanks for the tip for both products. Only thing that frightens me is the likely chance of ruining things and not getting a good looking end result, as you seem to warn about. But then I look at your end result, the very red pilot flightsuit that once was yellow, and it seems that the color remover+synthetic fabric dye should be a killer combo, right? Or do you mean that certain synthetic fibers react less to these products, and you just got very lucky that the Bossk suit did react?

Thanks again,
m.

Back