Statue Re SS Email: Important Collecting Update for Canadian Customers

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spiffyjim

Freakzoid
Reaction score
Just got this email, and well... it sucks for us Canadian collectors:

To our Canadian Collectors –

A recent change by the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) has updated how our Polystone figures are being classified (now as 3926.40.0000). This will unfortunately result in a 6.5% import duty. We understand that this can be a cause for concern and wanted to be proactive about letting you know what to expect when taking delivery of your collectible. We assure you that the fees being assessed are not our own.

As a reminder – because you are a valued Canadian Collector, Sideshow deeply discounts the shipping rates from the carrier before quoting all Canadian shipments. We also provide a $25 loyalty code after each eligible purchase in addition to 5% back in rewards points redeemable on future purchases. We hope that these unique benefits will assist you in growing your collection while offsetting a portion of your duties and taxes.

As always, we appreciate your continued support.

Best,

The Sideshow Team

Can't see how I'll be able to keep collecting with an additional 6.5% tax on top of the Canadian dollar and shipping costs (plus the increasing costs of the statues themselves).

Any other Canadians feeling the pain? :(

Oh yes, for sure. Just got the email. I had already cut way back on collecting due to the U.S./ Canadian exchange rate. The Hulk vs. Wolverine diorama will be my last purchase for quite a while.
My most recent purchase had been the Brown Costume Wolverine PF. That was already pretty pricey to get him to my door in Canada before this new 6.5% import duty.

It's never enough with our government,complete rubbish.They have sucked all the joy in this hobby,and I refuse to give them anymore money as I was already slowing down to very little orders,but forget it now.Im done

It's never enough with our government,complete rubbish.They have sucked all the joy in this hobby,and I refuse to give them anymore money as I was already slowing down to very little orders,but forget it now.Im done

Yeah I agree. I also think it's also Sideshow's fault that they still declare the full value even when you use reward points or a discount code. For example, when I buy a $100 J Crew sweater and pay $50 for it because it's on sale, the company does not declare $100 on the custom form, they declare $50 because that is what I actually paid. Sideshow needs to adjust their declaration value when we buy at a discount or they will lose business. It's becoming a total rip off because of our taxes

Ss have always listed full price and discounted prices on my invoice.
Fed-Ex always choose the full value and I have to send several emails every time to get them amended.

Yeah I agree. I also think it's also Sideshow's fault that they still declare the full value even when you use reward points or a discount code. For example, when I buy a $100 J Crew sweater and pay $50 for it because it's on sale, the company does not declare $100 on the custom form, they declare $50 because that is what I actually paid. Sideshow needs to adjust their declaration value when we buy at a discount or they will lose business. It's becoming a total rip off because of our taxes

Yes sideshow can make things a little easier on us if they declared items used via RP to reflect what was actually paid,but I have had a similar conversation with the CSBA regarding my PCS orders that I have paid in full that are being declared at full retail price point,and not the paid in full discount value to what I actually pay,and to them (CSBA) it doesn't matter when it comes to mass produced statues they will charge the MSRP price no matter what.It is a lose/lose battle when trying to have a sane logical conversation with anyone over at CSBA,for some reason they have a real hard on for these items,and do not give or consider any budging on this matter.I don't want to blame sideshow or any other statue company because I know both Sideshow and PCS have put in effort to reduce costs for us Canadians and other international collectors by giving us lower discounted shipping rates from SS,and PCS in the past by lowering declared value to 100 dollars so we could avoid high import charges,tax and or duty charges,so in the end I know its just another simple cash grab from an already over taxing government.

They tax us like crazy where I live (B.C) so essentially now with the current conversation rate of 1.25,plus 12 percent GST/PST tax and now this 6.5 percent tax we are set to pay nearly 45 percent more on each statue.That is beyond absurd and makes this hobby damn near impossible to continue unless you are very wealthy.I have friends who make over 100k a year and still cannot justify this hobby any longer.No matter how much we give them in taxes it will NEVER be enough until the middle class kicks some govt butt.If you live in BC you are now subjected to pay 0.05 to 1 percent more in property tax to deal with the fentanol crisis,can someone please explain to me why I have to pay more because drug addicts continue to use dangerous drugs? This is not my problem,but all these issues and small taxes add up,and has made Canada into a very challenging place to live.I sincerely worry about future generations...okay rant over for now

So over on Statue Forum, there is a conversation about receiving clarification from CBSA. It seems like they are just bunching in statues with any type of PVC product that is heavily taxed, but other products like sports equipment, PVC or not, are not heavily taxed. ANYWAY, there are tons of codes that statues could be classified under that wouldn't penalise collectors. The CBSA pages on this matter may as well be written in another language. They are wordy, and convoluted. Any type of mass produced statue does not fall under their "art" category and it appears "toys" applies to sports and recreational items only.

Once we receive clarification, I will be mailing my MP to let them know how upset I am about this. We cannot expect change if we keep quiet and let them do this to us. I have a friend in the U.S. and I have my Sideshow products shipped to him, and he is very busy so sometimes he makes mistakes when filling out the forms on values or what the product is. But this type of rule change will guarantee I never receive an item directly from Sideshow. I would rather burn the money than have this greedy government collect.

I really hope this issue can be reversed,or another code can be used but I have my doubts anything will change.If you lived here all your life (me 40+ years) than you know the governments position on taxes.Ive spent years fighting Fedex for my import charges refund on things I've sent back,and it progressively became harder and harder to accomplish that with the amount of nonsense the CSBA puts you through.Sometimes you get the funds back and sometimes you don't,no mercy

If you have enough money to buy statues, the government only cares about taxing you more. Nothing else.

This sucks, I'm from Ontario so I already pay 13% Hst, now with this tax its nearly 20%. I have 8 items on preorder, I know this isn't Sideshows doing but I wish they would offer Canadian customers a refund on NRDs in the case.

This sucks, I'm from Ontario so I already pay 13% Hst, now with this tax its nearly 20%. I have 8 items on preorder, I know this isn't Sideshows doing but I wish they would offer Canadian customers a refund on NRDs in the case.

Chances are your orders will be delayed meaning you can ask for a full refund.

Sorry guys - don't understand this at all.

In British Columbia we pay 12% import duties (GST + PST combined) on ALL items coming into BC - Sideshow or otherwise.

Haven't got a clue what this is going on about (and haven't got the email either).

They mean add on an additional 6 percent. Yeah. Awful. Sideshow needs to let us use promo codes and state the reduced value we are paying on the invoice. Again, when I buy soemthing from the US on sale, the company I buy from puts the sale price on the import document. Sideshow needs to do the same if they want our money. If not, cant buy from the US anymore. Canada is insane, free healthcare but taxed to the max on everything

Cheer up liberal voters with luck the Trudeau will add a carbon tax on statues! Thanks Easterners for voting him in

Back