Re: Chris Howes

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The raw smooth-on flesh tint is too pale, you have to custom mix tints, some red + brown + blue or whathaveyou in addition to the base flesh color. If you tint an entire gallon you can knock out a fair number of casts that match. Of course a second batch is difficult to match to the first 100%.

I used the flesh dye in resin before and ended up just painting the whole thing anyway because the color just wasn't great. It's not like the PVC flesh cast that HT and now SSC are doing and I doubt we could replicate that.

Here's the head that andy Cast using flesh colored resin, and I've got his instructions on where he bought his stuff. just submitting it for those who have not seen it yet.

Hey gang, I've been experimenting a bit with some translucent flesh tone resin, and I think I finally got a color that I like. Now if only I could paint these! :)

Locke%201%20copy.jpg

Locke%202%20copy.jpg

Locke%203%20copy.jpg

Which one are you talking about?

This is true. There are several. I happened upon one custom sculpt thread and showed Pix (I think it was the Summer Glau thread). Then he showed me CH's own custom thread where they're basically calling him out. :lol

Well, we'll see how this unfolds. I paid for the Star Trek heads back in December when things weren't quite so clearly going off the rails. He did show up in the Star Trek thread for a couple of days and showed some decent in-progress versions of two of the heads, but now he's gone again and probably won't be back again for months. I imagine he'll come through eventually, but how long it will take will be anybody's guess. I just wish people would give the damn "interest threads" a rest.

This reminds me of the Captain Faramir situation with the Boromir cloaks. Deciding to sell a custom-made product and quickly becoming overwhelmed by the volume of orders. I think a better policy is to make X number of the item in question, sell only the ones that are already produced, then produce another batch and repeat the process. Pre-orders are nothing but trouble.

Here's the head that andy Cast using flesh colored resin, and I've got his instructions on where he bought his stuff. just submitting it for those who have not seen it yet.

That looks fantastic.

As for the Chris Howes fiascos, I'm just glad I never got into any of those projects. My Spidey senses were tingling from the get-go, way back when.

I too was not impressed with his website. That may have been the initial "hmmm..." for me.

these sculpts look great, i guess they'd need a wash or two. why don't the rest of you work on building some new pieces rather than ^^^^^ing about other people :violindoing it for you?

these sculpts look great, i guess they'd need a wash or two. why don't the rest of you work on building some new pieces rather than ^^^^^ing about other people :violindoing it for you?

Why exactly are you here again?

"Because this "Briton" hasn't got talent!!!! "

Really? I have three custom LOTR figures on these threads, funny how i haven't seen any of yours.

"And many people have already paid for the job to be done. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect him to follow through."

I agree it's just everyone seems to be obsessing on this thread instead of the the others that involve creating figures which is what i thought Hobbit revival was all about?

Last edited:

Really? I have three custom LOTR figures on these threads, funny how i haven't seen any of yours.

I was referring to me not having the talent to produce my own customs, hence why I am prepared to pay whatever it takes to get the best representations.

Chill dude!

"And many people have already paid for the job to be done. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect him to follow through."

I agree it's just everyone seems to be obsessing on this thread instead of the the others that involve creating figures which is what i thought Hobbit revival was all about?

So let me get this right? You are annoyed because everyone isn't paying attention to your threads?

This forum (Hobbitland) was created for people who are paying someone else to make them hobbit sculpts of Merry and Pippin. Everything else is merely peripheral. So if you fancy yourself so great and wonderful that you can do this yourself why, I was asking, are you in this forum?

Clearly a case of jumping into the middle of a conversation without having a clue as to the subject unless you randomly quoted Lerath just to post. C. Howes has taken cash for MANY custom sculpts here and has yet to finish his second. MANY people have already paid and are waiting to receive work he promised many, many moons ago. Initially we considered having him produce the Hobbits, which is were this thread came from as a reminder as to just why we didn't go that route.

There's a little "How To" for Gimli that's stickied to the very top of this forum (habitat) and there's a Bilbo thread with his custom Bilbo. In the Gimli thread, that's Pix's grubby digits in the photos cutting apart the DiD Gimli. Look a little harder before posting something that stupid. Makes you look like your post, which we all know you're not. ;)

Yeah, shovelchop, I think you misunderstand the purpose of this forum. We're not here to show off our customs; there's an actual customs section in the main Freaks board for that kind of thing. We're here because we want to complete our 1:6 scale Fellowship and to do that, we need Merry and Pippen. And due to certain circumstances, that required the creation of a secret forum.

You're more than welcome to show off your customs and we'll be happy to give you feedback, but realize that that isn't the primary purpose of this particular forum. Essentially, we're potential investors in a small business opportunity.

Back