Rate The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rank the movie

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I gave if 8/10 for for the regular 24fps 2D and 6.5/10 for the 48fps 3D. The movie itself 7/10. Not as strong as the LoTR but still rather enjoyable. Looking forward to the next two enstallments.

8/10. I enjoyed it a lot. I liked the lighter tone but the obvious connection to the same world. If it weren't for the CGI (actually not nearly as distracting as I thout it'd be) I'd give it an 8.5/10. My worry is that this trilogy goes too long though. This one was decent but can they all feel so "short" at nearly 3hrs a piece?

Saw it yesterday. It was WAY better than I was expecting. I would give it a 10 but I dislike how Peter Jackson usually takes an action scene or prank over the line. Its like watching a Jason Statham movie at times.

A little restrain and it would be perfect.

Oh yeah, watched it in 2D. I think I'm content with that, I can definitely see why some people get sick. The camera work at the beginning was a little too much.

I don't get that at all, but to each their own....it was good for me - liked it, didn't love it

Exactly why I decided to post my comment. The great thing is that you guys here understand that not everyone has to agree and that differing opinions make for a better conversation. I thank you for that.

In actuality, maybe it deserves a 3 or 4 out of ten but I knocked 1 or 2 off for the disappointment I felt when I walked out of the theater. Either way, my issues with the film remain the same. I guess even more TPM, it reminded me of how I felt after seeing Indy Jones KOTCS. Love the main characters (even to the point of incorporating their philosophies into my own beliefs at times) but their incorporation into a film that doesn't work for me, is almost like finding out that Santa Claus isn't real or something. Whatever. Taking this too seriously, I know. Just thought I should explain more.

Damn, I really wanted to like it too.

Can't look at my Gandalf PF (my favorite PF) anymore without thinking of a guy on a bunny sled now.

Last edited:
Exactly why I decided to post my comment. The great thing is that you guys here understand that not everyone has to agree and that differing opinions make for a better conversation. I thank you for that.

In actuality, maybe it deserves a 3 or 4 out of ten but I knocked 1 or 2 off for the disappointment I felt when I walked out of the theater. Either way, my issues with the film remain the same. I guess more than even TPM, it reminded me of how I felt after seeing Indy Jones KOTCS.

Can't look at my Gandalf PF (my favorite PF) anymore without thinking of a guy on a bunny sled now. Just keeping it real.

Hopefully you understand why people like myself can't agree with you at all. As a huge fan of Jackson and Tolkien my expectations were very high and those were met. Sucks for those that it didn't but this film very firmly fits on the shelf with The Lord of the Rings.

In actuality, maybe it deserves a 3 or 4 out of ten but I knocked 1 or 2 off for the disappointment I felt when I walked out of the theater. Either way, my issues with the film remain the same. I guess even more TPM, it reminded me of how I felt after seeing Indy Jones KOTCS. Love the main characters (even to the point of incorporating their philosophies into my own beliefs at times) but their incorporation into a film that doesn't work for me, is almost like finding out that Santa Claus isn't real or something. Whatever. Taking this too seriously, I know. Just thought I should explain more.

Can't look at my Gandalf PF (my favorite PF) anymore without thinking of a guy on a bunny sled now.

Wow! Really? It was THAT bad for you?

Is that a good or bad thing? 7.5 isn't a bad score.

It's a so-so, I was expecting much more in... cinematic sense.

Overall a good movie that can be perceived in isolation of LotR yet pretty weak as its prequel bcoz of repulsive layout of ideas and their implementations. On the one hand it tried to play "Fellowship" and create some bright fairy tale on the other but didn't worked either way... Although I can't call it a totall failure.

The main problem is that since the narrator and MC are the same person the film itself doesn't focus on his experience and impression. Even tho never tried to develop most of dwarves characters leaving to them roles of extras and simple buffoons. A lot of time wasted on minor meaningless scenes... There's a lot of other obvious flaws but they're much smaller.

Bilbo in Gollum's cave and escape from Azog - wonderful suspense and drama, wish the whole movie was like that :monkey2

Looking forward with a hope for a more balanced and vigorous continuation.

Did he ever get on a bunny sled? That was that other guy. I don't see how that was an sillier than whispering to a moth to get a ginormous eagle to save you. If the eagles hadn't been in LotR, that would have been a huge WTF head scratching moment and would have been the ultimate deux ex machina. But since I was familiar with them and there was the moment with the moth before they came, it was an awesome escape scene and it didn't take me out of the moment at all like it might have otherwise.

And TPM and KotCS don't affect my enjoyment of the originals so I hope this one doesn't ruin LotR forever for you. This story is older and was lighter in tone so not sure how people could be let down. It was actually much darker than I thought it'd be.

Are the parts with the witch king and the Necromancer from the novel, or is that an addition to link this to LotR?

Did he ever get on a bunny sled? That was that other guy. I don't see how that was an sillier than whispering to a moth to get a ginormous eagle to save you. If the eagles hadn't been in LotR, that would have been a huge WTF head scratching moment and would have been the ultimate deux ex machina. But since I was familiar with them and there was the moment with the moth before they came, it was an awesome escape scene and it didn't take me out of the moment at all like it might have otherwise.

And TPM and KotCS don't affect my enjoyment of the originals so I hope this one doesn't ruin LotR forever for you. This story is older and was lighter in tone so not sure how people could be let down. It was actually much darker than I thought it'd be.

Are the parts with the witch king and the Necromancer from the novel, or is that an addition to link this to LotR?
Necromancer/Dol Guldur mentioned in the novel though not as much...No Witch-King mentioned at all

Back