RATE or REVIEW The Last Movie You Watched.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A Fistful of Dollars: 8/10

Classic and iconic, for good reason. Having recently saw Yojimbo for the first time I definitely see this as an unofficial remake. But when you have the Leone, Morricone, Eastwood team it doesn't matter how derivative something is because it is executed at such a high level. Eastwood seems like more of a psychopath than usual in this one, enjoying all the murder he dishes out or is otherwise responsible for, but that's part of the character's charm. Would be cool to see a premium mini series built around the source material for both of these--Dashiell Hammett's Red Harvest. Way too much going on in that story to do it full justice in a single movie, though.

Duel (film 8/10) (experience 9/10)
One of the greatest film experiences of my life. My kids were so engaged by this and talked during the whole thing thinking about who the truck driver was and what was going to happen next and it felt like being at a football game. The 4K transfer is amazing and I am still blown away by the incredible level of cinematic achievement that Spielberg put into his first film. That was made for tv. Unbelievable.

The Marvels since I sure wasn't gonna pay for that in theater.
Frustrating since there were hints here and there of what COULD have been. Not the worst thing
I've even seen, but so much cr*&.
4/10.
Some of the space shots were nice.

The Marvels: 5/10

Similarly, this movie felt frustrating to me. It was so generic and by the book in many ways. One of the least engaging marvel movies. The way the story progressed felt so artificial. The way each protagonist figured something out. Acting was ok but never more than that. The bad guy had zero charisma. Comedy was sprinkled throughout but never really stuck the landing. Samuel Jackson may have never phoned it in more. CG wasn't anyways great.

The mid credits scene was pretty damn awesome though. Didn't see that coming.

Tigers are not afraid: 7/10

Really well done little film. Disturbing and heartfelt. Didn't realize until finishing it the creator is the same woman behind the current season of true detective... Best to just pretend this movie is all she did. Guy who played namor was also really good here.

Last edited:
The Babadook: 8/10

As far as horror movies go, this is top notch. It successfully manipulates your emotions to initially hating the kid, then having tremendous sympathy for him. Great mood throughout, quality acting, pacing works for the story, the way the suspense builds and builds works perfectly.

The Muthers: 6/10

Easily one of the best Filipino blaxploitation pirate movies ever made.

Possession: 7/10

There's a lot to really like about this one. There is a very high level of craftsmanship almost across the board (though you can critique some of the special effects). Cinematography was masterful. The emotional intensity is off the charts. Isabelle Adjani and Sam Neil do amazing acting work. But the story got really weird and convoluted, to the point where I couldn't understand why characters were behaving the way they did or what the endgame was supposed to be. Characters going crazy due to emotional trauma I can get behind. Wacky, supernatural stuff I can get behind. But they didn't mix together as well as they could have. And the resolution of the story wasn't very satisfying or comprehensible to me. Maybe this one is just over my head and the movie would benefit from more viewings.

Supposedly delays due to the person brought in to do effects forced them to cut important scenes out of the film, and that may have something to do with why the end result isn't what it could be.

Last edited:
Possession: 7/10

There's a lot to really like about this one. There is a very high level of craftsmanship almost across the board (though you can critique some of the special effects). Cinematography was masterful. The emotional intensity is off the charts. Isabelle Adjani and Sam Neil do amazing acting work. But the story got really weird and convoluted, to the point where I couldn't understand why characters were behaving the way they did or what the endgame was supposed to be. Characters going crazy due to emotional trauma I can get behind. Wacky, supernatural stuff I can get behind. But they didn't mix together as well as they could have. And the resolution of the story wasn't very satisfying or comprehensible to me. Maybe this one is just over my head and the movie would benefit from more viewings.

Supposedly delays due to the person brought in to do effects forced them to cut important scenes out of the film, and that may have something to do with why the end result isn't what it could be.
The directors commentary goes some way (but not all) in explaining the incomprehensible nature of the second half of the film.

The Abyss - 8/10

First time watching this in its entirety thanks to the 4K transfer being made available on Hulu.

I can't believe this was buried so long, what an absolute treat. Can't wait to own it on disc.

Flight of the Navigator 7/10

I hadn't seen this since I was a kid, and gotta say it still works surprisingly well for an 80s Disney movie. I had completely forgotten about the time travel part of the story and thought they did a good job exploring that idea. And the effects are still pretty damn convincing for the most part, especially with all the reflections on the ship. And love the design work on the interior.

David's constant whining does get a bit annoying after awhile though, and surely they could have come up with a better threat than some bumbling NASA scientists. Lol

Dark Night of the Scarecrow: 7.5/10

Must be the best made for TV movie I've ever seen. Very solid horror film despite no real gore to speak of. Scarecrow is creepy as all hell, too.

Flight of the Navigator
That was one I was very familiar with as a kid, but never had the interest to watch it all the way through since. That robot eye thing was fairly iconic in my mind

That was one I was very familiar with as a kid, but never had the interest to watch it all the way through since. That robot eye thing was fairly iconic in my mind
Yeah I was avoiding this one for a while after struggling to get through other 80s movies recently like Short Circuit. But this one is far less cringey and the alien ship is still cool as hell.

Last edited:
Pumpkinhead - 6/10

Continuing to plug the leaks in my '80s/cult knowledge. The limited scope and fairytale atmosphere help preserve the film in time. Lance Henriksen is excellent as always and the BTS interviews show just how much ownership and care he takes of his characters. All in all, a more enjoyable watch than expected.

Mad God: 6/10

This is a stop motion animated film that was created with tremendous skill and care, over a 30 year period, by Phil Tippet, who did effects on the original Star Wars movies, Robocop, Jurassic Park, and Starship Troopers. It is very different from anything else I've ever seen. On top of that, it's incredibly disturbing and sticks with me. But, it's not my thing. Worth watching, though, if you are a fan of film in general or are someone who wants to expand your artistic horizon.

Talk To Me (2023) 9/10

A film about a plaster-cast hand, a bunch of kids and the gross stuff that happens when they shake hands with it. It's hard to see an original scary movie but this one caught me by surprise. Very much enjoyed it. Has some pretty gnarly scenes, others that gross you out including one scene involving a foot. That's all I'll say, I hate feet and when you see it you too will gag. Apparently they are making a second, which is good news, I'll check it out when released.

Talk To Me (2023) 9/10

A film about a plaster-cast hand, a bunch of kids and the gross stuff that happens when they shake hands with it. It's hard to see an original scary movie but this one caught me by surprise. Very much enjoyed it. Has some pretty gnarly scenes, others that gross you out including one scene involving a foot. That's all I'll say, I hate feet and when you see it you too will gag. Apparently they are making a second, which is good news, I'll check it out when released.
I watched that recently. It made me think I've lost interest in these kind of supernatural horrors. I nodded off towards the end so I don't even know how it ended...I assume in some sequel baiting way.

I did see the foot fetish scene though :lol

Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom - 7/10
I actually liked it. It kept me entertained throughout and was a fun watch. I liked the reluctant-buddy thing going on with Arthur and Orm.

Dune: Part Two - 9/10

Same rating as the first and I think if both were combined into a single six-hour film, I'd rate it the same.

My only gripe is that I don't have a strong emotional connection to the individual characters or their relationships, but I suspect that's because the scope of the story is almost impossibly grand. It's more about The Planand the macabre, sometimes impersonal way every chess piece - from entire regimes to single people - is moved around in service of it. And watching that unfold, lamenting the toll it takes on everyone, is where most of the emotion comes from. Still an achievement.

Perfect Blue: 7/10

Really interesting and well done suspense thriller anime. If Brian DePalma were Japanese this is what he would make.

Alligator: 7/10

Also a really well done movie for a Jaws knockoff. Good acting, quality filmmaking, some genuinely funny parts, and the effects were well done. Robert Forster is very solid as always. Same writer as the Howling.

Last edited:
Back