RATE or REVIEW The Last Movie You Watched.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Agree. When I watched it recently it surprised me, that scene is the only really shocking moment in the film. Everything else is fairly subtle. The whole moment though just makes me think of Spaceballs now lol.
alien high kick GIF

Love it, fantastic. My 10 year old desperately wants to see them, I’m still deciding if he is old enough. The only horror film he has seen is Poltergeist which he really liked.

Lol, exact same age! I saw Aliens multiple times.

Agree. When I watched it recently it surprised me, that scene is the only really shocking moment in the film. Everything else is fairly subtle. The whole moment though just makes me think of Spaceballs now lol.

I’m curious, was Aliens the new AI processed version or was it still lovely and grainy?
TBH, I didn’t notice grain, but I wasn’t really looking for it either. It looked and sounded great to me though.

The Fall Guy 5/10
Really disappointed in this but no great surprise that a $$$ Hollywood movie turns yet another crappy tv show into a crappy movie. The sad thing is this could have been a lot of fun, a stunt man who’s a bounty hunter yes please. But the script is godawful. The points are for Gosling and Blunt who have so much charm it’s criminal. But when you don’t have a decent script …
Plus I will give them some credit, the stunts are decent and mostly look real not cg but Leitch just doesn’t know how to shoot action and often ruins good stunts by cutting them up.

If you want a good movie about a stuntman go and watch Hooper w Burt Reynolds instead

Last edited:
Watched Abigail yesterday at the cinema. It was very nicely designed as far as visuals go and also very well cast. The vampire girl was everything I'd hoped "M3gan" would be. Totally awesome! The actress sold the character beautfully. I believe it could've used some more humor (What was there was pretty good though). I also would've liked to see more varied fights between the antagonist and the kidnappers. There were some unexpected turns and twists towards the end though. I'll rate it 6/10

Spectre: 7.5/10

This was the last Craig Bond movie for me to watch, and I was worried based on lukewarm reviews but I thought it was awesome. All the things i would want from a Bond film were on display, it was constantly exciting, fun, and a decent story with good actors chewing up the scenery.

The Fall Guy 5/10
Really disappointed in this but no great surprise that a $$$ Hollywood movie turns yet another crappy tv show into a crappy movie. The sad thing is this could have been a lot of fun, a stunt man who’s a bounty hunter yes please. But the script is godawful. The points are for Gosling and Blunt who have so much charm it’s criminal. But when you don’t have a decent script …
Plus I will give them some credit, the stunts are decent and mostly look real not cg but Leitch just doesn’t know how to shoot action and often ruins good stunts by cutting them up.

If you want a good movie about a stuntman go and watch Hooper w Burt Reynolds instead
Sorry to hear that. I was cautiously optimistic about this one.

Apes Trilogy
Rise - 7/10
Dawn - 9/10
War - 8/10

Rise - I wish they had spent as much care and time crafting memorable and interesting human characters as they did for the apes. Once Caesar gets to the “shelter”, the whole movie jumps from serviceable to amazing. A few plot contrivances aside, it really is quite stunning.
Also, casting Brian Cox and Tom Felton as operators of the shelter is a huge giveaway as to the sinister shenanigans…seriously.

Dawn - beautiful and wonderful. I got fully immersed in Caesar’s world, the cgi vanished. The humans are more engaging this time round but the apes are the true standouts. Koba is an incredible antagonist, drawing apes away from Caesar’s plight. “Human….work” as he points to his many scars is just powerful. Maurice is a beautiful and kind soul.

War - still amazing and a satisfying conclusion but just not quite hitting all the points as well as Dawn. I actually liked that the focus really wasn’t on the large scale “war”, but a more personal conflict between Caesar and the Colonel. Cried at the end.

My kids thoroughly enjoyed each one, loooved Maurice and have been signalling “Apes together, strong” the last few days.
Here’s hoping Kingdom does a good job carrying on the legacy of this pretty spectacular trilogy.

Apes Trilogy
Rise - 7/10
Dawn - 9/10
War - 8/10

Rise - I wish they had spent as much care and time crafting memorable and interesting human characters as they did for the apes. Once Caesar gets to the “shelter”, the whole movie jumps from serviceable to amazing. A few plot contrivances aside, it really is quite stunning.
Also, casting Brian Cox and Tom Felton as operators of the shelter is a huge giveaway as to the sinister shenanigans…seriously.

Dawn - beautiful and wonderful. I got fully immersed in Caesar’s world, the cgi vanished. The humans are more engaging this time round but the apes are the true standouts. Koba is an incredible antagonist, drawing apes away from Caesar’s plight. “Human….work” as he points to his many scars is just powerful. Maurice is a beautiful and kind soul.

War - still amazing and a satisfying conclusion but just not quite hitting all the points as well as Dawn. I actually liked that the focus really wasn’t on the large scale “war”, but a more personal conflict between Caesar and the Colonel. Cried at the end.

My kids thoroughly enjoyed each one, loooved Maurice and have been signalling “Apes together, strong” the last few days.
Here’s hoping Kingdom does a good job carrying on the legacy of this pretty spectacular trilogy.
Yeah thankfully the early reviews for Kingdom are really good so far, and suggest it does a great job honoring what the previous trilogy did. I was really worried this would just be a cheap and lazy sequel by someone who doesn't understand the world.

I was underwhelmed by War to be honest. Thought the story was thin and I didn't like the idea of the humans losing their voices due to the same virus that made the apes smarter. It's too convenient, too all-encompassing of a plot device. Not sure if that's how they did it in the original series, I haven't watched beyond the first two yet.

I preferred imagining that humans lost the ability to speak due to being subjugated and experimented on for thousands of years. Makes more sense and gives the timeline more room to breathe, the ape civilization more time to develop.

I was underwhelmed by War to be honest. Thought the story was thin and I didn't like the idea of the humans losing their voices due to the same virus that made the apes smarter. It's too convenient, too all-encompassing of a plot device. Not sure if that's how they did it in the original series, I haven't watched beyond the first two yet.

I preferred imagining that humans lost the ability to speak due to being subjugated and experimented on for thousands of years. Makes more sense and gives the timeline more room to breathe, the ape civilization more time to develop.
I agree the gradual loss of speech is much preferred, though to be fair nothing ever made much sense in these movies to begin with...

Shadow in the Cloud - 6/10

Decided to give this Chloe Grace Moretz WWII/gremlins movie a try when it popped up on Netflix this week, and it was definitely not what I was expecting!

For most of the movie we're stuck in a gun turret with Moretz, who is just completely riveting to watch and managed to hold my attention through this entire emotional journey she's on as she interacts with a bunch of crude airmen above... and then at the end the movie just goes completely bonkers with the most ridiculous, implausible action sequence I've ever seen, that at times feels like something out of a looney tunes cartoon as she climbs around the outside of a moving plane and fights off a giant gremlin. :lol

And I just couldn't help but admire the audacity of the filmmakers to even go there. The movie is silly as hell but weirdly entertaining at the same time.

Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace - 2/5 (5/5 with my son)

So, 25 years later I'm back in the theaters watching this one again. This time with my ecstatic son (his first time seeing a SW film in theaters 🙂). IMO the film remains a shadow of the OT, but years of inflated continuity has provided me with a different perspective:
  • Vader had yet to bully a Jedi-betraying* Kenobi after his prior defeat whilst employing a squad of Sith groupees (who were seemingly immune to light saber gut stabs).
  • Anakin had not yet acquired an apprentice who defied death through magic gateways only to later fight a flaming sword wielding witch amidst a legion of zombie storm troopers on a planet accessible only by space whales.
I guess it was a simpler time back then :p . I did had fun revisiting a few of the film's "minor" details:
  • Maul's probe flying behind Qui-Gon during his post-race discussion with Watto.
  • Obi-Wan's suggestion that Qui-Gon could have been on the council if he would have just adhered to the Jedi code.
  • I will never not laugh hysterically at the fate of Mars Guo. BRAWRGH!!
Even though little has been done to enhance the film itself (it remains indicative of the era's film technology), seeing my son's sheer enjoyment made this trip back in time totally worth it for this jaded (but still entertained) Star Wars fan.

:r2d2line

*Nari on Tattoine.

I saw TPM 4 times in the cinema back in 99. Not because I loved it, but because I wanted to figure out WHY I didn’t love it. I’ll never forget the quiet, puzzled response from my fellow cinema-goers as the credits rolled. What did we just witness?
I haven’t watched that movie since 2000. I’m happy.
On May 4, my family just watched Empire again at home.
10/10 😊

I saw TPM 4 times in the cinema back in 99. Not because I loved it, but because I wanted to figure out WHY I didn’t love it. I’ll never forget the quiet, puzzled response from my fellow cinema-goers as the credits rolled. What did we just witness?
I haven’t watched that movie since 2000. I’m happy.
On May 4, my family just watched Empire again at home.
10/10 😊
Yeah I have a feeling most of the box office came from us SW fans who were completely dumbfounded by the movie and kept going back again and again in the vain hope it might work better for us the next time. 😄

Back