RATE or REVIEW The Last Movie You Watched.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sometimes I can't understand contrarian viewpoints.

Nonsense. If I were simply a contrarian like SNIKT was, then I would also be praising the likes of critically panned film like BvS, but I also hated that film for many of the same reasons as to why I disliked CW. I have expressed time and time again why that film did not land with me in the other threads here and I never said a word of it to look cool or whatever - so I can't help but find your "contrarian" comment rather unfounded... Unless you are referring to SNIKT, in which case that sums him up accurately. ;)

You don't hear me or anyone else here calling you a contrarian for not liking something they liked now do you? :dunno

With the likes of say, Titanic, OK, I get that people can't abide the mushy stuff. With Captain America Civil War though - how is that not everything one can want from a Superhero movie? It baffles me that anyone can be baffled why we love that movie.

All IMO:

The running time is bloated and long.

Crossbones gets killed off too early on.

Tony is at his least likable, tied only with IM2 for the worst portrayal of his character in the MCU. He puts Peter Parker, a boy not much older than the child who died during the Sokovia incident whom was Tony's whole motivation for wanting the Avengers put in government check, in terrible danger.

Wanda X Vision is cringey and weighs down both of their characters into only their second appearance.

The great Cap, Bucky, and Black Panther scenes don't get enough time.

Everything with General Ross is boring and dragged out.

We get cheated out of a Winter Soldier vs. more Winter Soldiers battle.

That being said, I do acknowledge that CW is still a very well made and well shot film, but I just thought it was too much of the same old same old at the end of the day. If I want great Avengers movies I can watch the original and IW, and if I want great Cap movies I can watch TFA and TWS. I don't want a Phase Three trailer.

Nonsense. If I were simply a contrarian like SNIKT was, then I would also be praising the likes of critically panned film like BvS, but I also hated that film for many of the same reasons as to why I disliked CW. I have expressed time and time again why that film did not land with me in the other threads here and I never said a word of it to look cool or whatever - so I can't help but find your "contrarian" comment rather unfounded... Unless you are referring to SNIKT, in which case that sums him up accurately. ;)

You don't hear me or anyone else here calling you a contrarian for not liking something they liked now do you? :dunno

All IMO:

The running time is bloated and long.

Crossbones gets killed off too early on.

Tony is at his least likable, tied only with IM2 for the worst portrayal of his character in the MCU. He puts Peter Parker, a boy not much older than the child who died during the Sokovia incident whom was Tony's whole motivation for wanting the Avengers put in government check, in terrible danger.

Wanda X Vision is cringey and weighs down both of their characters into only their second appearance.

The great Cap, Bucky, and Black Panther scenes don't get enough time.

Everything with General Ross is boring and dragged out.

We get cheated out of a Winter Soldier vs. more Winter Soldiers battle.

That being said, I do acknowledge that CW is still a very well made and well shot film, but I just thought it was too much of the same old same old at the end of the day. If I want great Avengers movies I can watch the original and IW, and if I want great Cap movies I can watch TFA and TWS. I don't want a Phase Three trailer.

vlcsnap-2018-11-14-18h41m07s603.jpg

I think you read stuff into my post that wasn't there, not least to assume I had you in mind - maybe I didn't even remember that you don't like Civil War.....nah, I did remember. Still though, 'nonsense'? No insult was intended in my use of the word 'contrarian' but maybe I should have simply said ''I can't understand anyone not liking this movie''. There's nothing nonsensical about such a statement. Perhaps the word 'contrarian' has certain connotations.

Needless to say I disagree with your individual points - except maybe Tony bringing Peter Parker into the fray...that's something I just excuse because I really wanted Spiderman in this.

View attachment 433244

I think you read stuff into my post that wasn't there, not least to assume I had you in mind - maybe I didn't even remember that you don't like Civil War.....nah, I did remember. Still though, 'nonsense'? No insult was intended in my use of the word 'contrarian' but maybe I should have simply said ''I can't understand anyone not liking this movie''. There's nothing nonsensical about such a statement. Perhaps the word 'contrarian' has certain connotations.

Needless to say I disagree with your individual points - except maybe Tony bringing Peter Parker into the fray...that's something I just excuse because I really wanted Spiderman in this.

It's fine. Since SNIKT and myself were the only two active CW "haters" on this board, it felt like you might have been referring to myself or him. The way I understand it, a contrarian is someone who disagrees with the public solely for the sake of disagreement which would accurately describe the latter, but since I had gone over why I didn't like the film numerous times it just felt a little... odd.

While I did feel rather fatigued after my first viewing of CW in the theatre, the good news is that Marvel has always managed to pull me back in (I.E, Doctor Strange came directly after CW which renewed my faith in Marvel and as much as I wanted to boycott them after Thor 3 they won me back again with Black Panther and Infinity War). :)

I could see how a diehard Iron Man/Stark fan could be put off by his portrayal in CW since he's basically on the side that is "wrong." I wasn't bothered by him recruiting Peter though. For one he's a superhero that Stark saw was fully capable of holding his own in danger and two Cap isn't Ultron. I think that Stark fully expected Cap to stand down and even if he did imagine things getting physical he had no reason to believe that Cap would ever hurt or kill an innocent child. So I guess it's good that that jet bridge didn't end up crushing Peter after Steve nonchalantly said see ya later, lol.

It's fine. Since SNIKT and myself were the only two active CW "haters" on this board, it felt like you might have been referring to myself or him. The way I understand it, a contrarian is someone who disagrees with the public solely for the sake of disagreement which would accurately describe the latter, but since I had gone over why I didn't like the film numerous times it just felt a little... odd.

While I did feel rather fatigued after my first viewing of CW in the theatre, the good news is that Marvel has always managed to pull me back in (I.E, Doctor Strange came directly after CW which renewed my faith in Marvel and as much as I wanted to boycott them after Thor 3 they won me back again with Black Panther and Infinity War). :)

I've actually gone and looked up contrarian in the online dictionary :lol

noun
a person who takes an opposing view, especially one who rejects the majority opinion, as in economic matters.

By that definition alone it was safe for me to use the word - however, I will hand it to you - in practice the word is often used with a dismissive tone, with the implication that the ''contrarian's'' viewpoint has no possible merit and is only held 'to look cool/for the mere sake of disagreement' as you put it - so I shouldn't have been surprised by someone taking it that way.

We disagree on some films (Thor 3 being another) but I like you Chakor, no offense was intended.

Last edited:
I've actually gone and looked up contrarian in the online dictionary :lol

By that definition alone it was safe for me to use the word - however, I will hand it to you - in practice the word is often used with a dismissive tone, with the implication that the ''contrarian's'' viewpoint has no possible merit and is only held 'to look cool/for the mere sake of disagreement' as you put it.

We disagree on some films (Thor 3 being another) but I like you Chakor, no offense was intended.

None taken. :duff

Since CW is not an immensely disliked movie around these parts it was possible for me to infer your questions as potentially being directed at myself given that SNIKT was the only other person here who really didn't like it and since he was banned. I'm used to hearing "contrarian" in the more dismissive tone which is why I got a little defensive... Plus anything written over the internet can be read in any voice.

At least we agree that the original Avengers is great in spite of Cap's awful cowl and that holding that against the movie is in poor waste when everything else about it is perfect (cough, Khev, cough). :lol ;)

At least we agree that the original Avengers is great in spite of Cap's awful cowl and that holding that against the movie is in poor waste when everything else about it is perfect (cough, Khev, cough). :lol ;)

:lol

All this talk of the original Avengers has me thinking I'll give it another go. :) Haven't watched it from beginning to end in years.

I could see how a diehard Iron Man/Stark fan could be put off by his portrayal in CW since he's basically on the side that is "wrong." I wasn't bothered by him recruiting Peter though. For one he's a superhero that Stark saw was fully capable of holding his own in danger and two Cap isn't Ultron. I think that Stark fully expected Cap to stand down and even if he did imagine things getting physical he had no reason to believe that Cap would ever hurt or kill an innocent child. So I guess it's good that that jet bridge didn't end up crushing Peter after Steve nonchalantly said see ya later, lol.

I'm naturally inclined to go along with this.

Dammit, the 4 times I've seen Infinity War hasn't been enough for me to quite remember what the original dialogue was in that moment :lol

None taken. :duff

Since CW is not an immensely disliked movie around these parts it was possible for me to infer your questions as potentially being directed at myself given that SNIKT was the only other person here who really didn't like it and since he was banned. I'm used to hearing "contrarian" in the more dismissive tone which is why I got a little defensive... Plus anything written over the internet can be read in any voice.

Yeah Khev. I look forward to casually dismissing whatever explanation you have for not continuing to embrace the original Avengers movie like the rest of us do.

As for SNIKT - it seemed to me like he couldn't settle for anything less than Avengers flat-out murdering eachother - to me that would have been stupid. The disagreement about the accords was not a justifiable reason to actually kill anyone - the other issue then became Tony wanting to kill Bucky because Bucky killed his parents - that and only that would have been understandable motivation for anyone to go that far - and dammit Tony tried. He simply failed - because of Cap. Cap defending his parent's killer. That's the Civil War, that's the divide. No actual death was necessary.

Now, the one thing I thought was a bit of a cop-out was Rhodes so-called paralysis. They could have at least waited to the next film to reveal that that was fixable.

As for SNIKT - it seemed to me like he couldn't settle for anything less than Avengers flat-out murdering eachother - to me that would have been stupid. The disagreement about the accords was not a justifiable reason to actually kill anyone - the other issue then became Tony wanting to kill Bucky because Bucky killed his parents - that and only that would have been understandable motivation for anyone to go that far - and dammit Tony tried. He simply failed - because of Cap. Cap defending his parent's killer. That's the Civil War, that's the divide. No actual death was necessary.

What was really odd about SNIKT is that he would sing the praises for Batman v. Superman but bash Civil War when most of the things he held against the latter could be argued against the former. I guess maybe he gave BvS the runner's up because they killed off Superman? Either that or SNIKT was just a mega troll.

Dammit, the 4 times I've seen Infinity War hasn't been enough for me to quite remember what the original dialogue was in that moment :lol

Star-Lord just goes off on Thanos before turning his gun on Gamora and then goes speechless when the bubbles comes out. Thanos says "I like you" and then disappears through the portal, lol.

Yeah Khev. I look forward to casually dismissing whatever explanation you have for not continuing to embrace the original Avengers movie like the rest of us do.

:lol

My love for the MCU is perfectly balanced. Too much praise on one side...

BrokenFirstFoal-size_restricted.gif

As for SNIKT - it seemed to me like he couldn't settle for anything less than Avengers flat-out murdering eachother - to me that would have been stupid.

Totally. :lol

Now, the one thing I thought was a bit of a cop-out was Rhodes so-called paralysis. They could have at least waited to the next film to reveal that that was fixable.

Well I wasn't 100% convinced that he'd be back to 100% so I guess they did a good enough job fooling me, lol.

OVERLORD. A Stunning fun war film give a 10.

Timefreak. A young college student create's a time machine . Then fixes his relationship mistake's cute date comedy movie give a 5 ,worth a watch.

Nutcracker 4 realm's looked interesting just couldnt get into it sorry megh no score.

The GRINCH. A NEW FAVE will melt any Grinches tiny heart very fun redo give a 10 in cuteness.

Last edited:
Fantastic Beasts: the Crimes of Grindelwald - I didn't understand anything that was happening/10.

Fantastic beasts fun movie , but like Cap said I'm lost on who to root for now. I dont know what to rate it myb 6 or 7.

Pappillon. A interesting story/ movie give a 5. A safecracker in france get's framed 4 murder and protects a rich inmate forger in prison.

Office christmas party give a 7 fun crazy xmas party.

Buster scruggs. A must see western of short tale's a pure 10.

Blindspotting. I didnt think this was going to be even worth watching but get's very deep ,give a 7.

Reprisal. A quick bankjob movie with Bruce Willis as casual retired cop neighbor for bit of help give a 5 ,film move's fast,

Last edited:
Back