RATE or REVIEW The Last Movie You Watched.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It happened One Night (1934) - 9.1/10

Call of The Wild (1935) - 8.8/10

The Public Enemy (1931) - 8.5/10

Mr Smith Goes To Washington (1939) - 9/10

The Monuments Men (2014) - 5/10

:lol Yes and I remember a kid bringing the novel to school and a bunch of us (boys and girls) reading that part like a bunch of giggling pervs.

Actually now that I think of it it was the Clan of the Cave Bear novel, not Quest for Fire. Man there was a weird caveman craze in the early 80's. I forgot about that Ringo Starr movie.

Wow, your really on a 70's/80's kick lately, haven't thought of that film in a long time! Don't think I ever saw the whole thing either, the cannibalism part sticks out in my head the most, probably why I haven't seen it in its entirety.

Actually I'm watching a lot from different eras. Finally saw Dracula (1931) all the way through. It was okay but no King Kong or Frankenstein.

There are some movies you have to see when you're a kid. Otherwise, they're crap. The Neverending Story, apparently -- which I made the mistake of watching for the first time a couple of months ago.

As an aside ... ever watch a movie that's so bad, you have to finish it? The Neverending Story is one of those.

Interesting. I still very much enjoy The Neverending Story. I did see it when I was young and enjoy watching it with my own kids once or twice a year. It actually holds up and is more watchable for me then many other "family" films of that era.

I never got the Love for The Never Ending Story either, but I saw it in early teenhood and it wasn't even aging well at that point. Not for me. :lol

Haunter 6/10

Currently on Netflix....if you wan tot enjoy this do NOT read anything about it. A decent spooky film in a year where not too much has been done well with horror...good twists

it's a solid 9/10 if you're into hip hop/rap.
I can listen to some of it, but I want to watch this mostly because NWA was very popular in the mid 80's. It didn't matter how old you were in LA, you knew who they were. I want to see how much of the movie is actually true.

I can listen to some of it, but I want to watch this mostly because NWA was very popular in the mid 80's. It didn't matter how old you were in LA, you knew who they were. I want to see how much of the movie is actually true.

you're gonna love it man, they go into some dark territory and I'm pretty familiar with these artists, a few moments may be more "dramatic" but overall it's a solid drama with great performances that pays huge respect to OG rap. it's mostly about Cube's and E's journey.

2001: A Space Odyssey (1968) - 8.5/10

First time watching it in High Definition. A lot of the visuals hold up better than the original Star Wars. Pretty amazing what Kubrick accomplished almost a full decade before the existence of ILM. HAL is still creepy, the end is still trippy as hell, and the music still makes me want to stand up and cheer when the giant fetus looks at the Earth though I have no idea why. :lol

you're gonna love it man, they go into some dark territory and I'm pretty familiar with these artists, a few moments may be more "dramatic" but overall it's a solid drama with great performances that pays huge respect to OG rap. it's mostly about Cube's and E's journey.

Very cool. That's what I'm hoping for. :duff

2001: A Space Odyssey (1968) - 8.5/10

First time watching it in High Definition. A lot of the visuals hold up better than the original Star Wars. Pretty amazing what Kubrick accomplished almost a full decade before the existence of ILM. HAL is still creepy, the end is still trippy as hell, and the music still makes me want to stand up and cheer when the giant fetus looks at the Earth though I have no idea why. :lol
I think the entirety of the visuals hold up fantastic, even the apes are still convincing.

And that gateway sequence is still stupid :lol I think I share your score.

Still quite possibly my favorite Sci-FI story, even more so in book form. Shame the books follow the movie instead of the first book.

Agreed, pretty amazing that the film 2001 has more convincing visuals than some movies that came out in the year 2001.

And it's interesting that a "war" follows each arrival of the Monolith and that the side that touched it always wins. The apes with tools defeat the other apes and through Bowman humans defeat HAL. Gives a bit of an ominous undertone for the people of Earth when the Star Child arrives.

I can't see any relation there myself, the monolith gave the apes the spark of knowledge, in HAL's case, his madness was triggered by a contradiction in its programming, he was made to not conceal information, but it was tasked with keeping the monolith's existence a secret, therefore if the crew was killed, he wouldn't have to keep the secret anymore. Bowman hadn't come in contact with the monolith at that point, if anything, it was HAL who came in contact with information regarding the monolith.

As for the star child, I believe it signifies the transcendence of humanity, the final stage of our evolution that the spark of knowledge boosted, I can't see any ominousness in that myself, but after all, Kubrick said to interpret it as you please and he didn't want verbal rationalization like I'm doing :lol

I'm on Mr. Clarke's side though.

Well yes of course the Star Child represents a transcendent form of humanity. But both prior appearances of the Monolith represented transcendence coupled with violent extinction, and in both cases the very tools "gifted" by the Monoliths were used in acts of murder. The bone clubs and the mainframes of the Discovery itself. That doesn't mean the Monoliths promoted violence, just that the higher intelligence granted seemed to trigger jealousy of sorts in lower lifeforms which led to violence. I don't think reborn Bowman/the Star Child was "going to war" or anything but based on the non-tool using primates and HAL you have to wonder how threatened the people of Earth will feel and how wisely they'll respond.

And I don't think HAL became homicidal because of conflicting programming but rather because he read Bowman and Poole's lips that they were planning on deactivating him.

But both prior appearances of the Monolith represented transcendence coupled with violent extinction, and in both cases the very tools "gifted" by the Monoliths were used in acts of murder. The bone clubs and the mainframes of the Discovery itself. That doesn't mean the Monoliths promoted violence, just that the higher intelligence granted seemed to trigger jealousy of sorts in lower lifeforms which led to violence. I don't think reborn Bowman/the Star Child was "going to war" or anything but based on the non-tool using primates and HAL you have to wonder how threatened the people of Earth will feel and how wisely they'll respond.
Yes they were, because the apes were already in conflict and were territorial with the other apes, imo the monolith didn't trigger jealousy...

I had the fortune of reading the book before watching the movie, I don't know if you've read it, but it explains that the monoliths are...
Spoiler Spoiler:

I think Kubrick wanted to make it a bit too ambiguous than it should be, because in the book it's a bit clearer.

And I don't think HAL became homicidal because of conflicting programming but rather because he read Bowman and Poole's lips that they were planning on deactivating him.
Which they were gonna do because HAL was acting shady, which he wasn't supposed to do, he was acting like that long before that scene, and he also wasn't supposed to retaliate when threatened with disconnection, there's a hint of apparent self-awareness there too, and fear of death.

I hate to bring up the books, but in this case the books are virtually the script for the movies.
Spoiler Spoiler:

Btw that's one dumb part in the movie I don't like, a pair of genius-level space engineers couldn't think of turning the pod away from HAL's vision? The damn thing has all sorts of sensors and it didn't occur to them that lip reading was one of them, it's a borderline self-aware pattern-identifying machine FFS :lol not even turn their backs to him so it wouldn't see them speak.

Back