RATE or REVIEW The Last Movie You Watched.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah it was, that's what I figured, it's boxed in this 90's trend of social critique, I think American Psycho or even Fight Club do a better job at it. I'm sure it was a lot fresher in the 90's.

I thought it was a movie about a good man screwed over by society on a righteous spree of self-rationalized justice, sort of a proto-Breaking Bad or something, but nope, it was just an autistic man-child throwing a big tantrum because **** happens to him, which looks like it's mostly his fault.

But it's not as bad as God Bless America.

It's sad when milestone movies get dug up from their time and you find they just don't work. When I first saw The Big Lebowski I thought it was a comedic and satirical masterpiece. I watched it a few years later and it felt flat.

Little Shop of Horrors ('86) - 9/10

A personal favorite of mine, the only thing that drags it down is the ending, because it was changed, feels tacked on and a bit out of place.

Mei Ren Yu (The Mermaid) - 1.5/10

I have liked Stephen Chow movies in the past, Kung Fu Hustle coming to mind, but this was awful. I'll give it a pass on the horrendous FX, and use of stock footage, but I think I laughed twice during the whole movie. Towards the end the movie combined horrific acts of violence with comedy, which I just found disturbing. The success this has had in China makes this all the more disturbing to me.

I gave it a 1.5 for the 2 laughs and for some eye candy.

Ghostbusters 2016 no score, I refuse

Two groups of people should be ashamed of themselves. The critics who gave the movie just enough of a good score so that it would be certified fresh, and the YouTube reviewers who overreacted like this was the worst POS they'd ever laid eyes on. It's dumb and I barely laughed, but it's not any worse than the first GI Joe movie with Tatum. Yes, the men in this movie are completely useless but honestly it's so dumb that you don't notice. Wiig and Jones were tolerable and funny occasionally. The other two, ugh. I like McKinnon on SNL so I'm not sure what the hell happened other than a weak director didn't have the balls to actually direct her. Cameos were forgettable to awful(Murray's and Slimer's).

Ghostbusters 2016 no score, I refuse

Two groups of people should be ashamed of themselves. The critics who gave the movie just enough of a good score so that it would be certified fresh, and the YouTube reviewers who overreacted like this was the worst POS they'd ever laid eyes on. It's dumb and I barely laughed, but it's not any worse than the first GI Joe movie with Tatum. Yes, the men in this movie are completely useless but honestly it's so dumb that you don't notice. Wiig and Jones were tolerable and funny occasionally. The other two, ugh. I like McKinnon on SNL so I'm not sure what the hell happened other than a weak director didn't have the balls to actually direct her. Cameos were forgettable to awful(Murray's and Slimer's).

kDN7OZw.jpg

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies: 6.5/10

Surprisingly good! I think it would have worked very well as a straight re-telling of P&P. The filmmakers took good care of treating that aspect of the story with respect. The zombie stuff was interesting, a very interesting backstory as to how it all began and how the British had learned to deal with zombies for decades (but much of that was quickly zipped over). It also had a different take on zombies, making them retain their humanity (and are able to talk and reason) as long as they don't eat human brains--it's only then that they go crazy and attack other humans. They're also the quick running zombies. Not too gory at all--I believe it was PG13.

The Purge Election year 5/10
Independence day Resurgence 4/10
Fight Club 9/10
The Force Awakens 7.5/10
Batman V Superman 5/10
10 Cloverfield Lane 6/10

Prometheus. I still Love still think its a Amazing movie only thing would change is that they shoot down the other ship instead of destroying the ship. I mean come on why wouldnt it not have top of the line weapons ? That is just one big WTF to me. Anyway i cant wait for more. I still think its a 10.

Akira - 10/10

I can't not be amazed by this masterpiece every single time.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

I wish Hollywood would just leave this alone and didn't attempt an adaptation, but I know it's a pipe dream, I'll just expect the worst while hoping for the best.

Now, on to read the manga after watching the movie, which is my own little ritual.

I've caught the occasional obscure anime film on TV, & some of them are really quite brilliant. Truly imaginative stuff. You can see that lots of love & heart go into them. I should track a few down when I get around to it.

I watched one the other day about a girl that discovers a kingdom of cat people within her own city, & they try to make her a bride to the prince after she slowly starts to turn into a cat herself while being amongst them. Not exactly 'Akira' type action, but I enjoyed it. :)

Back