RATE or REVIEW The Last Movie You Watched.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've always been critical of Marvel. Thor was mediocre(Loki is super played out), I didn't like the recast of Norton and the way they treat the Hulk movie like a bastard child now, Iron Man 3 was a monumental **** up on multiple levels, and Thor 2 is just sort of there but they are still doing something impressive that I respect them for trying. DC and Sony are, so far, completely unable to follow suit. Guardians was rad though. No complaints there.

So you prefer the Galactic Empire in general to Darth Vader? SPECTRE is great, but I wouldn't want it led by anyone but Blofeld.

The system can be great. But without someone to put it to work(abuse it, etc.), it's just sort of there. In this movie, that was Pierce. He just isn't as compelling as Weaving's Skull imo.

Vader is obviously a great, identifiable villain, but he's really merely a symbol, a tool, of the Empire, though, right? By the end of Jedi, we're not even supposed to think of him as a villain. Just a guy who made some bad decisions. :lol

So you prefer the Galactic Empire in general to Darth Vader? SPECTRE is great, but I wouldn't want it led by anyone but Blofeld.

The system can be great. But without someone to put it to work(abuse it, etc.), it's just sort of there. In this movie, that was Pierce. He just isn't as compelling as Weaving's Skull imo.

No, I've been saying it since he was first cast. He's too young(baby faced) looking, can't fill out that helmet, is short, and doesn't project confidence in a fight. (in FF he covered that by talking **** but can't as Cap)

I think thats why the First Avenger went downhill once he became Cap, I enjoyed the first half of the movie before he became Cap, Evans’ look and voice worked for a skinny Rogers, but he just can’t pull off the soldier aspect of Captain America which is a shame considering how important that is to his character, I think that really hurt the first movie aside from the rushing over extremely important events in Cap’s life so that they could tie in with the Avengers.

Last edited:
Vader is merely a symbol, a tool, of the Empire, though, right? By the end of Jedi, we're not even supposed to think of him as a villain. Just a guy who made some bad decisions. :lol

Yes, but that doesn't change the fact that the Empire would be pretty dumb and boring without him. If he's not in the trilogy and you just have Tarkin with the Death Star, Ozzel with the Executor, I don't see Star Wars being the success it is today. Plus in the first movie, he hasn't been neutered yet. He's just a force of evil. So a fairer comparison with Vader is Winter Soldier, sure, and Soldier could have been good too if he had more time to be fleshed out. But like I said, he's rushed.

I'm just saying SPECTRE with no Blofeld, The Empire with no Emperor, HYDRA with no Red Skull, The Marine Corps in FMJ w/ no Hartman, those systems aren't so compelling anymore. Their all just the same authoritarian system of control with no personal motives.

Nazis still exist, but no one really cares much since Hitler's death.

Godwin's Law has now been invoked! :lol The Nazis came to power legally in Germany. If that's not system failure on an epic scale, I don't know what is.

I think you're arguing that a superhero? movie requires a strong, charismatic villain to be good/effective, no? I'm just saying that I don't think that's always a requirement.

I'm saying that it requires a way for the systems to be relatable, primarily to the protagonist. It doesn't matter the medium, you are the one who mentioned 1984. I mention the Nazis because most people don't consider them a threat anymore because they relate the danger of Nazis directly to Hitler. The idea that one guy managed to exploit the party to bend to his will and his beliefs. Something Red Skull also does well by re-aligning his Nazis as Hydra.

Half-Life 2 is another example. Aliens want to subjugate Earth. How original. So why is that game so highly thought of? Because you have a guy who exploits the system in Dr. Breen. He puts a human face on these generic actions/plot points and wants to exploit things to his own gain and he makes a personal connection to the hero that allows for it to feel more personal to us as well.

So if you really believe FMJ could make the training sequence work without Hartman, and just with the threat of death and having been drafted, well, more power to ya. I know damn well it wouldn't.

I'm saying that it requires a way for the systems to be relatable, primarily to the protagonist. It doesn't matter the medium, you are the one who mentioned 1984. I mention the Nazis because most people don't consider them a threat anymore because they relate the danger of Nazis directly to Hitler. The idea that one guy managed to exploit the party to bend to his will and his beliefs. Something Red Skull also does well by re-aligning his Nazis as Hydra.

Half-Life 2 is another example. Aliens want to subjugate Earth. How original. So why is that game so highly thought of? Because you have a guy who exploits the system in Dr. Breen. He puts a human face on these generic actions/plot points and wants to exploit things to his own gain and he makes a personal connection to the hero that allows for it to feel more personal to us as well.

So if you really believe FMJ could make the training sequence work without Hartman, and just with the threat of death and having been drafted, well, more power to ya. I know damn well it wouldn't.

And I would contend that in certain circumstances, it is just as effective, if not more so, if there is no one Man Behind the Curtain. Or if the man is not compelling or even readily identifiable.

I mentioned 1984 because it is not Big Brother, nor even O'Brien, who is the primary villain. It could very well be Winston Smith, who betrays his better nature by turning on Julia and reinforcing his own oppression. Or is it...the System? It's not necessarily clear and well-defined. And I don't mind one bit.

Captain America 2: the team he works for gets infiltrated by a previous foe and tries to hunt him down... captain only has his handful of friends to help him take it down

Oh my Oh my where the Hell have I seen THIS crap before???

All these talks about GotG and TWS... had to watch them. :lol

_

The First Avenger: Another War - 8,5/10 (Russian title, which I like much more)

Second viewing, now at home w/o big ass screen and awesome sound or 3D...
Story is perfect, actors are good, visuals are great, action is awesome, music is beautiful.
That beign said... Writing could use more polish, some scenes were pointless, too long or misused.
Still love it! Still the best CBM to date!

_

Guardians of the Kids-friendly-ness - 7/10

It's good. Just not as good as it should've been.
The charaters are way too cartoonish. What little action it has isn't good enough quality.
Could say that my opinion is biased because after seeing the first teaser I was excited for an epic action-packed adventure filled with more mature humor... But after watching TWS again I wouldn't be able to understand why they couldn't make the same with "Guardians".

Also, Henry Jackman scored for both.
One of my all time favourite film composers for sure! :rock

The First Avenger has more action than Guardians?

Guardians had more jokes aimed at adults than children.

If they give Nick Fury some creative freedom I don't see why not :huh:

snakes-on-a-plane-o.gif

Interstellar - 10/10

Went into it expecting it to be a solid film, but nothing too special (given the ambiguity of the trailers) -- and it was anything but. As in, it was solid and then some. Made a big impression on me. Don't see what the critics had against it. Some say they weren't feeling the ending, but that must be a subjective thing because I digested the whole movie rather well.

This is coming from someone who isn't a massive Nolan fan. Inception was okay. :lol

Interstellar - 10/10

Went into it expecting it to be a solid film, but nothing too special (given the ambiguity of the trailers) -- and it was anything but. As in, it was solid and then some. Made a big impression on me. Don't see what the critics had against it. Some say they weren't feeling the ending, but that must be a subjective thing because I digested the whole movie rather well.

This is coming from someone who isn't a massive Nolan fan. Inception was okay. :lol

I'm with you, I thought Inception was okay, but Interstellar I absolutely loved.

Back