RATE or REVIEW The Last Movie You Watched.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Conan the Barbarian (1982)

8/10

Wow, they don't make 'em like this anymore and they probably never will. It's amazing that a movie of this genre was ever made with such high production values and was so hardcore with the sex and violence. And what a timeless score.

I thought it was interesting to notice that it beat ROTJ to the punch for what would eventually be some very iconic images.

maxresdefault.jpg

epi61.jpg

conan30.jpg

luke-funeral-pyre.jpg

CTB is my my second favorite moive. Love it love it love it.

I dig Destroyer too.

And while it was not popular, Momoa's Conan was much truer to Robert E Howards. REH's Conan would not have been a slave for some 20 years and never would have wept at the foot of his enemy, as Arnolds did.

I pray to Crom that King Conan does not suck.

The Momoa Conan relied on CGI too much and the dialogue was ridiculous. He looked perfect as Conan though. It's too bad the movie was awful--I was really hoping they'd start up a new series of movies with a young Conan. Hopefully King Conan will recapture what made the Arnold movies awesome.

That ship has already sailed. We're only going to get more and more CGI, not less of it. Does anybody now if puppets and jerry-rigged special effects are still employed other than in zombie flicks/TV?

CGI is cheaper and it allows the director, every one of whom believes he/she is the second coming of Ra, to wield even more power and control in order to "realize their vision."

You don't have to deal with FX/prop guys (many of whom have a maverick, rebellious nature) when you can just order an obedient, compliant 25-year-old tech geek to write some code.

That ship has already sailed. We're only going to get more and more CGI, not less of it. Does anybody now if puppets and jerry-rigged special effects are still employed other than in zombie flicks/TV?

CGI is cheaper and it allows the director, every one of whom believes he/she is the second coming of Ra, to wield even more power and control in order to "realize their vision."

You don't have to deal with FX/prop guys (many of whom have a maverick, rebellious nature) when you can just order an obedient, compliant 25-year-old tech geek to write some code.
I don't think the CGI is cheaper, I think it's utilized for ease, that's why it's not rampant on TV, it's not affordable. There's some very good articles on Prometheus use of practical effects because they had to cut their CGI budget, ie. They couldn't afford the cgi. Unless I'm reading it wrong and you meant CGI is cheaper as in now compared to years ago, sometimes it's hard to get context in the writing.

Zero Theorem - Hmmmm/10

I really don't know how to rate this one, certainly not Gilliams worst (that distinction belongs to Tideland) but far from his best. Perhaps Gilliam was over-reaching, as the subject matter is ambitious yet so much in this film feels under developed. I'm a big fan of Gilliam, and I may not understand what he was trying to say, but for me, the end never really gelled as I hoped it would, and the point remains somewhat obfuscated to me.

I'm surprised mine is the first review on this site, I am curious to hear what others thought about it.

This movie is available On Demand, not even sure if it is playing in any theaters yet.

Edit-If your a Gilliam fan, it's worth watching, I just cant figure out a number to assign to it, have to think about it some more.

Last edited:
I don't think the CGI is cheaper, I think it's utilized for ease, that's why it's not rampant on TV, it's not affordable. There's some very good articles on Prometheus use of practical effects because they had to cut their CGI budget, ie. They couldn't afford the cgi. Unless I'm reading it wrong and you meant CGI is cheaper as in now compared to years ago, sometimes it's hard to get context in the writing.

I'm sure good CGI is expensive. But, in general, wouldn't it be more expensive to hire dozens of good, experienced, FX guys, and then countless others to build sets and create props? Never mind the issues of creative control, etc.

The argument may be moot anyway. Most movies, at least the ones that matter, do a bit of both. It's rarely either one or the other, unless you're talking about a cheesy SyFy broadcast or a Random Horror Movie of the Week.

Almost Famous- 10/10 I didn't want the movie to end! I saw this in the favorite movie thread, and I was not disappointed!

Before Sunrise- 8/10

Before Sunset- 9/10

Before Midnight-6/10 Very Pretentious, and immature. This movie has incredible reviews and is touted as the best of the trilogy, but I don't see it.

Amazing Spider-man 2 5/10 There's so much I like in this movie, but too many plots, tonal shifts, and poor writing brings it down. One of the most iconic scenes in Spider-man history was adapted, and it was shoehorned in at the last second.

Almost Famous- 10/10 I didn't want the movie to end! I saw this in the favorite movie thread, and I was not disappointed!

Before Sunrise- 8/10

Before Sunset- 9/10

Before Midnight-6/10 Very Pretentious, and immature. This movie has incredible reviews and is touted as the best of the trilogy, but I don't see it.

Amazing Spider-man 2 5/10 There's so much I like in this movie, but too many plots, tonal shifts, and poor writing brings it down. One of the most iconic scenes in Spider-man history was adapted, and it was shoehorned in at the last second.

Spot on statement right there.

Back