RATE or REVIEW The Last Movie You Watched.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes: 9.5/10 (far better story and character development than the first)

Purge: Anarchy: 7/10 (far more entertaining than the first, more of an action movie. No longer horror. Grillo Superb)

"A Long Way Down" (2014) 7/10 - quite enjoyed it. A fine example (again) of Rotten Tomatoes being totally out to lunch and a completely useless resource for aggregate movie reviews.

"A Long Way Down" (2014) 7/10 - quite enjoyed it. A fine example (again) of Rotten Tomatoes being totally out to lunch and a completely useless resource for aggregate movie reviews.

I agree. Rotten tomatoes is full of critics from a dying era.

Imdb is a much finer fan source for reviews.

Saving Mr. Banks: 7/10

Not really my kind of movie, but pretty well made for what it was.

Under the Skin. - 8/10

Hypnotic, fascinating and visually brilliant yet I still have no idea what I really watched. I'd say I'd watch it again but I'm not sure that would help.

Spoiler Spoiler:

So many questions and possible interpretations.
Spoiler Spoiler:

Planet of the Apes ... 7/10. Not bad, but dated. Heston's a bit of an overactor. We're pretty jaded by plot-twists these days, so it doesn't have the impact it once did. And the make-up, while state of the art for the time, now looks like a reasonably good 1960s episode of Star Trek. Looking forward to seeing Dawn, though (is it just me, or did they reverse the titles of the newest two? Should've been "Dawn", then "Rise" ... not the other way around).

Six Days, Seven Nights ... 7/10. I actually rather liked it. Simple plot, but not bad for an adventurous rom com. I'm convinced that the way to do a good romantic comedy is to cast a genuine guys-guy in the lead ... that way, guys actually have somebody they can relate to. Like Ford. Or Butler. Or McConaughey. As opposed to Hugh Grant or Zack Effron or whatever.

King Kong ... 8/10. Good. Great visuals. But about a half-hour too long.

The Rocketeer ... 8/10. I was half-watching this, but seemed pretty solid. Probably ought to watch it again to be sure.

SnakeDoc

Last edited:
The Sacrament - 6/10

I loved The House of the Devil but this and the Innkeepers were lacking for me. Tai West is talented, funny to see Eli Roth's name plastered all over the marketing, give the guy some credit!

Under the Skin. - 8/10

Hypnotic, fascinating and visually brilliant yet I still have no idea what I really watched. I'd say I'd watch it again but I'm not sure that would help.

Spoiler Spoiler:

So many questions and possible interpretations.

Spoiler Spoiler:

It's been a while since I've watched a movie that has lingered in my thoughts for days afterwards. I liked Scarlett in just about everything I've seen her in, but I thought this was one of her finest roles.

Yeah, I think that role suited Scarlett very well. Back to the first times I saw her in movies (Ghost World, Man Who Wasn't There) I thought she was a compelling actress to watch, but was a bit detached and aloof. That movie also stuck with me. Particularly the scene with the baby you are referring to. *shudder* Nice to see some genuine originality in sci-fi/horror films now and again.

Planet of the Apes ... 7/10. Not bad, but dated. Heston's a bit of an overactor. We're pretty jaded by plot-twists these days, so it doesn't have the impact it once did. And the make-up, while state of the art for the time, now looks like a reasonably good 1960s episode of Star Trek. Looking forward to seeing Dawn, though (is it just me, or did they reverse the titles of the newest two? Should've been "Dawn", then "Rise" ... not the other way around).
Interesting point about the male lead there. As for the titles, it makes some sense to me. The "Rise" movie is really the prequel, whereas "Dawn" (which I haven't seen yet) will presumably be the actual beginning of an Ape-run country/planet, but we would associate both with the beginning of something. I guess next will be "Day" and then "Dusk" then "Night" or something like that. Though maybe "Dusk of the Planet of the Apes" sounds a bit silly :lol

Royal Tenenbaums: 8.75/10

Love this movie in so many ways. It connected to me on one level when it first came out, particularly the Luke Wilson character, but now watching it as a father, I find more to relate to in the Stiller and Hackman characters. Wes Anderson obviously makes very stylized, quirky movies. But the heart and real attraction of the movies are always the characters that he creates. Something about them, or at least many of them, feels so honest and relatable to me.

Transformers: Age of Extinction - 7/10

Everyone keeps saying how horrible it is but I thought it was ok. Definitely much more enjoyable than Revenge of the Fallen and Dark of the Moon.

Been in an adventure-movie mood lately.

The Edge 8/10. Underrated survival movie. Very well done.

Sahara 6.5/10. A not-too-terrible Indiana Jones knockoff. Not as good as The Mummy. Would've preferred it if they'd stayed focused on finding the Confederate sub rather than that stupid WHO African water-poisoning thing. Its an adventure movie ... lose the humanitarian crisis.

SnakeDoc

Last edited:
Maniac. 7/10
I really enjoyed looking through elijahs creepy eyes as a brutal and creepy Killer.

I really don't enjoy these movies. Just not for me I suppose.

That's the same reason why I don't generally watch nor rate horror movies, I feel the same way about them - I feel they're at the bottom of the genre list. There are few exceptions of course. And I don't include zombie movies in this group. I love me some zombie movies.

Hunger Games so far for me however, 8/10 - both movies. I'm generally a fan of dystopian society flicks.

Last edited:
Back