RATE or REVIEW The Last Movie You Watched.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Warriors (1979): 6/10

I've seen this pop up on some "list your favorite movies" threads and my understanding was that this was a bit of a cult classic. I always thought the poster was cool but never had any idea what it was about nor had I ever watched it until last night.

It was okay, it certainly held my attention all the way through. A cool time capsule movie of how street gangs were perceived and/or glorified in the 70's. I liked the cast and the tone but otherwise I wouldn't say it was anything that special, at least seeing it for the first time in this day and age.

Elysium 6.5/10

Really enjoyed the first 45 minutes or so. After that it lacks the gritty, satirical edge I liked so much about the first 45 minutes. Enjoyed Damon and Copley. Set designs were great as you would expect from a Blomkamp film. I just hope his next offering resembles D9 more.

It was the budget. The bigger the budget, the dumber it has to be. You know, to get a wide audience.

I'm glad Neill's going back something a bit cheaper.

The town 8.5/10 the acting was great loved John Hamm in this Ben affleck is a good director.

The Patriot. 7/10. Been a long time since I've seen it. Its good ... but could've much been better. Gets a little slow and schmaltzy in the middle. Great villain. A couple of really good battle scenes. The ambush on the British prisoner transport was awesome.

With historical movies like this, part of the purpose is to give a historical tour. Titanic, for instance, pairs up a low class dude and a high class chick in some half-assed corny romance so that the viewer can tour the whole boat and meet all the major players before and during the wreck. Saving Private Ryan is kinda the same way ... D-Day landing, and then a tour of the European front while searching for Ryan. Gives a broad perspective on the European war by following a small group.

The Patriot could've done a LOT better at this. It seemed to get so focused on a character study of a fictional family that it lost its purpose ... which was to use the fictional family to get a broad and narrow perspective on the Revolutionary War. It does well on the narrow perspective ... but doesn't give the broad perspective well at all. None of the major players are shown -- Franklin, Jefferson, Sam Adams, John Adams, Paine. Even major military players are skipped completely (with the major exception of Cornwallis). I think Washington is on screen for about a half-second. It skips the Tea Party and the lead up to war ... and then saves the broad perspective on the war for a 90-second montage at the end of the movie, ending in Yorktown.

They could've done almost the same story, minus some of the schmaltz, and added a lot more perspective by getting Ben Martin into the action earlier and more broadly.

Still waiting on the truly great American Revolution epic. This will have to do for now.

SnakeDoc

Shaun of the Dead: 8/10
The Crazies: 6.5/10 Much better than I was expecting
House of 1000 Corpses: 7/10 One of my favorite bad movies

Clear History - 7.5/10

Definitely watch this if you're a Larry David fan. Basically it's a movie lenght episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm with Larry playing a different character. Great cast too. Michael Keaton plays a guy named Stumpo. :lol I didn't even recognize him at first.

just watched this also

7/10

apparently the families of the deceased are pissed they mage it a buddy/comedy/action flick

The story is pretty funny too. :dunno

I mean....they steal a dead guy's car, which is a pretty stand out vehicle, and drive it around town for everyone to see. Which is one of the steps to them actually getting caught.

Not to mention they bought a gas powered Chainsaw...and forgot the gas. Then after disposing the bodies, they stopped at Subway for a bite to eat....ect..ect...

These guys were dumb as ****. You couldn't do this story serious, if you tried....and people did. And it was silly. But the bad kind of silly.

Back