Rancor vs. Luke Skywalker Diorama

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is it as shiny as it looks in the photos or is that something the photos are doing? I've found some pieces end up shinier looking through the camera than to the naked eye.

Here's some pictures of the rancor for scale. It is an excellent piece; I just wish it were bigger for that price. He is pretty shiny, although his arm doesn't appear to have as much shine. Also, I can't for the life of me tell whether the Gammorean's eyes are open or not. The picture actually makes it look like they're open, but I can't tell with my naked eye. Would have been nice if they could have done something with the inside of his mouth. Anyhow, I love it; I'm keeping it.

Looks very detailed, but glad I cancelled. At that price point and scale it could have easily been a full Rancor and base. Since it's not, it should have been MUCH bigger for the price IMO.

Woah, tiny.

I don't mind some of the small dios; I really like the Space Slug and Stormtroopers, but this is a Rancor, it should have been bigger.

Its not terribly shiny. Looks a lil sweaty like the rancor was in the movie. Its not that small. Yeah its not as big as an ironman bust but a piece doesnt have to be huge to merit its value. Sure it helps and large pieces are cool but this one doesnt seem too small for the price to me. Its really heavy btw.

If it were more in scale with the Luke/Wampa dio that would have been ideal, or at least for me.

I don't think it's that small really, yes amidst 3 large scale, 18" plus tall pieces, but most of Sideshow's dios would look smaller against those, the duel ones aren't that large compared to such pieces, the Ani-Obi-Wan dio maybe because of hte huge base but most of the rest are relatively smaller compared to a PF or life size bust, and I don't think this will be that small compared to the rest of the dio line itself. Would love to see it with other Star Wars dios from Sideshow or even a 1/6 figure.

After seeing the pictures I'm feeling better about cancelling. Still a nice piece-- but the size is a little underwhelming, especially with how it would look with the rest of the collection.

I don't actually have any other Star Wars dioramas anymore. I used to have an Anakin/Obi-wan Diorama, and it looks to me that this is exactly in scale with that one. The Gammorean Guard and Luke are about the same size as Anakin and Obi-wan are. While I wish it would have been larger, since I'll be displaying it elsewhere (not next to premium formats or lifesize stuff) I see no problems with keeping it. It has some great amazing detail. Glad I kept it.

Ok, here are the facts:

Positive:
1. It looks nice
2. Qualitiy and paintjob is well

Negative:
1. It is damn small and not in scale with anything.
The figures are about the same scale as Gentle Giant Dio-Figures or as Obi Wan from the Sabotage Diorama (about 1:12). The Rancor has the same scale as the Hasbro Rancor. It is much to small (about 1:18).
The Figures of the other Sideshow Dios as Padme/Nexu, Vader/Antilles, Anakin/Obi or Luke/Wampa are much bigger in scale (about 1:9).

2. When holding the Gam-Guard it has overweight to the frontside, in my case even the base is lifting in the air.

3. The Gam-Guards mouth is fugly painted (only black, it actually does not look like a real mouth). The eyes are painted badly as well. You can't even see if these are closed or open.

On the other side: I am VERY picky. And i was a little disappointed because i said to myself: Damn, not a full scale Rancor, BUT when it is in the same scale as the other VS Dioramas you get a really big Rancor head... So that was not the case :-(

070.jpg

074.jpg

075.jpg

077.jpg

078.jpg

079.jpg

080.jpg

081.jpg

083.jpg

084.jpg

Interesting, I thought the way it was going to work was that the hand would stay and Luke and the Gammy were pieces you swap out, though I guess that's an iffy idea even with a strong magnet, glad it's just full swappable hands.

It's interesting to see people surprised by the size of Luke and the Gammy, it's been discussed in here since the piece debuted that the people were in a smaller scale than most of the character dios, Andy even said they were like 5-6" tall.

The Gammy tipping over the piece is a bit concerning though, one thing that's always impressed me with some of the more dynamic SSC pieces is their balance of weight.

Great comparison pics Spiker.
I'm glad that I cancelled and put money towards other collectibles.

Nice pics Spiker. It would be nice if it were a bit bigger so that more detail was visible but not a deal breaker for me.

If it in fact tips with Gammy in hand, though, then I'm sending mine back. It would be an unacceptable failure if the dio is unstable like that.

Back