Rambo: Last Blood [Rambo 5]

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just got back.

I fully enjoyed this movie. I have one major complain but I will get to that in a moment.

As some have pointed out this is not a typical "Rambo" movie but I am ok with that.

I mentioned before that I have watched Revenge movies and other genre films like the Home Invasion film and have, more then once, wished that a movie like that would be made but a bad ass like Rambo is waiting for the villain.

This movie does that. Its a straight up revenge movie. Period. Only this time Rambo is in it. Loved it.

Thought the pace was good. Though Stallone looked great and looked like a beast with his army coat on. Man he has some Meaty hands :lol

Thought the final was great.

The female reporter seemed a bit under written but that was fine I did not need anymore of her in the film.

The Villains were good enough. Just as good as any villains in the previous sequels.

My main issue and this is a major spoiler
Spoiler Spoiler:

Otherwise I had a great time and this film got my blood pumping like all good revenge flicks do.

Rankings.

First Blood - 10 out of 10
Rambo: Last Blood - 7.5 out of 10
Rambo: - 7 out of 10
Rambo: First Blood part II - 5 out of 10
Rambo III - 3 out of 10

Saw the movie and there is a lot of good in it. I liked 4 better overall but this one had some decent parts. The cheap camera look does take away from the movie but I can look past it. Maybe when it comes out on video it will look better on a smaller screen. The traps were great and it was nice to see Rambo as the Punisher serial kiiler boogey man.

Saw this last Tuesday. I dug it. Not much to do with soldiering or the military but that's ok with me. This is Rambo at a different stage in his life. Like he said, "trying to keep a lid on it". It doesn't have a war for Rambo to fight but I'm good with him trying to wipe out some scumbags that did him wrong. The revenge angle totally works for me.

So the straight to video quality didn't bother you? Those close ups, bad green screens effects when the charcters were driving...etc..

The green screen was a bit goofy but I only noticed it the one time when the niece decided to go to Mexico. Such a small moment there was no need to be bothered by it.
If the CGI blood did not bother me in the last film then some of the shortcomings in this film could be forgiven.

The close ups? Not sure what you mean. DO you mean the zoom shots? There were a few of those. Again. No issue. I cant think of any other close ups in the film that distracted me.

It had a low budget feel for sure but I never though Straight to Video.

Action was original enough and hard hitting enough for me to have a great time.

I like revenge movies last house on the left is one of the better ones. But rambo and revenge is like peanut butter and jelly- it just works **** all the haters and thier anti violence agenda. Same ****ers are attacking Joker too

Missed this thread, been on a hiatus for a long while now. Last Blood got me Sideshow Freaking again.

Catching up with the thread, looks like a lot of you didn't like the movie.

I hope Sly can do another one, and just direct it himself. Rambo 4 turned out alright compared to this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I enjoyed it for what it was, but I didn't think it was very good, and certainly not a better ending to the franchise than part 4.

My current ranking.

FB
Part 2
Rambo 4
Last Blood
Rambo 3

I enjoyed it for what it was, but I didn't think it was very good, and certainly not a better ending to the franchise than part 4.

I agree with that for all the reasons I posted in my post with the spoiler tag.

I think Rambo 5 will be like Alien 3 to me. It will be a film that I can fully enjoy but the series ended with 4 :)
Spoiler Spoiler:

In fact I kinda ignore part 2 and 3 also when it comes to the series. When he has flashbacks in part 4 I like to think of those as Viet Nam flashbacks. :)

Well really it all begins and ends with part 1. Everything else is fan fiction. :lol :lol :lol

I'm sure no one cares at this point, but I finally put my thoughts together.

----------------------------------------------

I’m going to break down my review into two angles because for me, my thoughts are very different depending on where you come at it from. I have feelings about this movie as a stand alone Rambo story, and I have feelings about it standing as very likely the final Rambo story.

Stand Alone

I’ve been thinking about the movie all day since I left the theater, and thinking on it, I feel like this film is very similar to Rambo 2 in terms of Rambo’s core story. Rambo 2 finds John in a seemingly good place mentally. Sure he is in a prison, but as he says, in there, he knows where he stands, whereas on the outside, he doesn’t know his place in the world now. To me, that’s where Rambo is at the start of this movie, he’s found a place where he can feel he belongs, and it’s isolated from the rest of the world. From there, the specific events he endures differ a little, but are somewhat similar, he’s tortured and scarred in Rambo 2, here he’s beaten to the point of concussion and scarred, and in both cases, in the end, that which he holds onto as hope for a life away from the evils of the world, Co and Gabriella, are taken away from him forever. What follows in both cases is a trail of revenge, culminating with Rambo facing off one on one with the person who set the horrible chain of events in motion for him, only in Rambo 2 he showed restraint because he found use for Murdock, but here, there was no good and he dispensed with his antagonist.

While trailers and photos were hard to view as Rambo and not just old Sly, I feel Stallone gave a solid performance and tapped more into the cynicism that Rambo was living with in Rambo 4. Even the smallest actions felt more like Rambo than just Stallone in an action film, so while I missed the bandana and long hair, it didn’t impact feeling like I was watching a Rambo film.

While the gore in this one definitely went above Rambo 4 in how graphic it was, I would say the overall amount felt equal or even less than Rambo 4, at least to me, I was expecting the movie to be a bloody mess.

I thought the plot line worked, though the overall pacing of the movie felt a bit too fast at times, where Rambo 4 had a better overall pace. This was definitely all about Rambo being Rambo, much less time spent developing the real world troubles being depicted and giving Gabriella more meaningful value to the story, like Sarah in 4, they really did a lot with her to make her relevant overall. Granted she was part of the story longer, but still.

One thing I really liked in this film was the showcase of Rambo’s intelligence, probably the best depiction of it since First Blood. Rambo 2-4 were really a showcase of his skills, but here we got to see how strong his mind can be, as he said in Rambo 2, the mind is the best weapon. There was a lot of emphasis in Mexico of him sizing up the situation, surveying the area, etc., I loved when he played dumb while the two cartel brothers were talking and didn’t flinch until they insulted Gabriella and then he showed his hand that he understood them all along. The trap setting at the ranch was fantastic and very methodical, and I didn’t even fully realize how he’d use them, like popping out of the ground like a golpher all over the yard.

Finale

So now the second angle to look at this movie from, how does it stand as an end to the series and character’s story.

I think you have to break down where each film has left off prior to see how it fits, because truthfully, any one of them could have been the end, it could have never gone past First Blood technically.

First Blood
He starts the movie as an outcast trying to find a place in the world post war, loses it when he’s mistreated one time too many, and ultimately ends up arrested with no good outcome for his troubles.

Rambo 2
He starts the movie in prison, removed from society, feels he has a place in the world, even if it’s not ideal, get used and betrayed by representatives of his government, and in the end, is basically left without a country or anywhere to go.

Rambo 3
He starts the movie looking for peace in a Buddhist monestary, gives it up to save his friend, and in the end returns to the world with his friend (presumably).

Rambo 4
He starts the movie living in Thailand hiding out where he feels he can escape the ugly side of the world, then faces it to rescue innocent missionaries and ultimately returns to his childhood home after running for decades.

Rambo 5
He starts the movie living a civilian life back home, still keeping a distance from most of society, loses the one glimmer of a life beyond war and the ugliness of the world, snaps and unloads all of his built up anger and rides off into the sunset.

So I’ve seen a number of folks here talk about how they wished a better ending for Rambo, but when you look back on it, Rambo 4 is the only movie to leave him in a good place, the first 3 movies never ended well.

To me it raises a discussion, was Rambo 4 a fitting ending, or was it an ending this character was never meant for.

Prior to Last Blood, I loved the symetry of Rambo’s introduction being his journey to find a place in the world and the end being his finding a place. Because it’s so balanced, I really felt like it should be the end, there’s no NEED to tell any more Rambo stories.

Now Last Blood comes along and says, he didn’t really find peace, peace is temporary, don’t get used to it, always be ready for a fight of some kind.

I guess for me the weakness of this film as an end to the story is that his future was very unclear. Pre-credits, you think he may die, post credits you see he rides off. As I mentioned before, there are parallels with Rambo 2 and the end here is very similar to that, ok, he walks off or rides off, where too, what will he do. I never experienced Rambo 2 without Rambo 3, so I don’t know how I would have felt then, but I just wish his future were more clear here. Rambo 3’s ending made me think he was going to go back with Trautman and stay part of the military, that he’d realized it’s his place. Rambo 4, again, what was he going to do back home, no idea, but I felt like his days as a soldier or warrior were over.

The take away here seems to be that once a warrior, always a warrior, and he will spend the rest of his days fighting and doing what he can to make sure those he’s lost were not for nothing.

It’s not a bad end, that he will never retire and will be a warrior until he dies, but at the same time, his journey started off in such a bad place, at least in Rambo 4, it ended on a positive note, like yes, what happened to him in the past was horrible but it doesn’t mean things can’t turn around.

The only message I take away from Last Blood is that war and such can take a very serious toll on a person, and sometimes recovering from it is not easy or even possible, but not to give up on life, there is always a purpose in it, and we should stop fighting and subjecting our friends and brothers and sisters and children to these horrors and putting them through such a thing.

Conclusion

Last Blood is a great Rambo film that falls flat as a finale but at least gives us a story where the character is still at his best and doesn’t go Rocky 5 where everything that made you want to watch movies with this character is taken away or tainted.

Well said. :clap

I could see them making another one. Stallone said during an interview that Rambo has no place to go now because everyone will be looking for him, so the only place he can go where he'll be accepted is an Indian reservation. That could be interesting. They showed a photo of his dad in the movie, and I thought it was cool that they showed his Native American ancestry. I could see one more movie with him in a reservation, with his hair long and maybe even wearing a headband again.

I'm sure no one cares at this point, but I finally put my thoughts together.

----------------------------------------------

I?m going to break down my review into two angles because for me, my thoughts are very different depending on where you come at it from. I have feelings about this movie as a stand alone Rambo story, and I have feelings about it standing as very likely the final Rambo story.

Stand Alone

I?ve been thinking about the movie all day since I left the theater, and thinking on it, I feel like this film is very similar to Rambo 2 in terms of Rambo?s core story. Rambo 2 finds John in a seemingly good place mentally. Sure he is in a prison, but as he says, in there, he knows where he stands, whereas on the outside, he doesn?t know his place in the world now. To me, that?s where Rambo is at the start of this movie, he?s found a place where he can feel he belongs, and it?s isolated from the rest of the world. From there, the specific events he endures differ a little, but are somewhat similar, he?s tortured and scarred in Rambo 2, here he?s beaten to the point of concussion and scarred, and in both cases, in the end, that which he holds onto as hope for a life away from the evils of the world, Co and Gabriella, are taken away from him forever. What follows in both cases is a trail of revenge, culminating with Rambo facing off one on one with the person who set the horrible chain of events in motion for him, only in Rambo 2 he showed restraint because he found use for Murdock, but here, there was no good and he dispensed with his antagonist.

While trailers and photos were hard to view as Rambo and not just old Sly, I feel Stallone gave a solid performance and tapped more into the cynicism that Rambo was living with in Rambo 4. Even the smallest actions felt more like Rambo than just Stallone in an action film, so while I missed the bandana and long hair, it didn?t impact feeling like I was watching a Rambo film.

While the gore in this one definitely went above Rambo 4 in how graphic it was, I would say the overall amount felt equal or even less than Rambo 4, at least to me, I was expecting the movie to be a bloody mess.

I thought the plot line worked, though the overall pacing of the movie felt a bit too fast at times, where Rambo 4 had a better overall pace. This was definitely all about Rambo being Rambo, much less time spent developing the real world troubles being depicted and giving Gabriella more meaningful value to the story, like Sarah in 4, they really did a lot with her to make her relevant overall. Granted she was part of the story longer, but still.

One thing I really liked in this film was the showcase of Rambo?s intelligence, probably the best depiction of it since First Blood. Rambo 2-4 were really a showcase of his skills, but here we got to see how strong his mind can be, as he said in Rambo 2, the mind is the best weapon. There was a lot of emphasis in Mexico of him sizing up the situation, surveying the area, etc., I loved when he played dumb while the two cartel brothers were talking and didn?t flinch until they insulted Gabriella and then he showed his hand that he understood them all along. The trap setting at the ranch was fantastic and very methodical, and I didn?t even fully realize how he?d use them, like popping out of the ground like a golpher all over the yard.

Finale

So now the second angle to look at this movie from, how does it stand as an end to the series and character?s story.

I think you have to break down where each film has left off prior to see how it fits, because truthfully, any one of them could have been the end, it could have never gone past First Blood technically.

First Blood
He starts the movie as an outcast trying to find a place in the world post war, loses it when he?s mistreated one time too many, and ultimately ends up arrested with no good outcome for his troubles.

Rambo 2
He starts the movie in prison, removed from society, feels he has a place in the world, even if it?s not ideal, get used and betrayed by representatives of his government, and in the end, is basically left without a country or anywhere to go.

Rambo 3
He starts the movie looking for peace in a Buddhist monestary, gives it up to save his friend, and in the end returns to the world with his friend (presumably).

Rambo 4
He starts the movie living in Thailand hiding out where he feels he can escape the ugly side of the world, then faces it to rescue innocent missionaries and ultimately returns to his childhood home after running for decades.

Rambo 5
He starts the movie living a civilian life back home, still keeping a distance from most of society, loses the one glimmer of a life beyond war and the ugliness of the world, snaps and unloads all of his built up anger and rides off into the sunset.

So I?ve seen a number of folks here talk about how they wished a better ending for Rambo, but when you look back on it, Rambo 4 is the only movie to leave him in a good place, the first 3 movies never ended well.

To me it raises a discussion, was Rambo 4 a fitting ending, or was it an ending this character was never meant for.

Prior to Last Blood, I loved the symetry of Rambo?s introduction being his journey to find a place in the world and the end being his finding a place. Because it?s so balanced, I really felt like it should be the end, there?s no NEED to tell any more Rambo stories.

Now Last Blood comes along and says, he didn?t really find peace, peace is temporary, don?t get used to it, always be ready for a fight of some kind.

I guess for me the weakness of this film as an end to the story is that his future was very unclear. Pre-credits, you think he may die, post credits you see he rides off. As I mentioned before, there are parallels with Rambo 2 and the end here is very similar to that, ok, he walks off or rides off, where too, what will he do. I never experienced Rambo 2 without Rambo 3, so I don?t know how I would have felt then, but I just wish his future were more clear here. Rambo 3?s ending made me think he was going to go back with Trautman and stay part of the military, that he?d realized it?s his place. Rambo 4, again, what was he going to do back home, no idea, but I felt like his days as a soldier or warrior were over.

The take away here seems to be that once a warrior, always a warrior, and he will spend the rest of his days fighting and doing what he can to make sure those he?s lost were not for nothing.

It?s not a bad end, that he will never retire and will be a warrior until he dies, but at the same time, his journey started off in such a bad place, at least in Rambo 4, it ended on a positive note, like yes, what happened to him in the past was horrible but it doesn?t mean things can?t turn around.

The only message I take away from Last Blood is that war and such can take a very serious toll on a person, and sometimes recovering from it is not easy or even possible, but not to give up on life, there is always a purpose in it, and we should stop fighting and subjecting our friends and brothers and sisters and children to these horrors and putting them through such a thing.

Conclusion

Last Blood is a great Rambo film that falls flat as a finale but at least gives us a story where the character is still at his best and doesn?t go Rocky 5 where everything that made you want to watch movies with this character is taken away or tainted.

a7145514b3ef64a761cec2a303827f08.jpg

I could see them making another one. Stallone said during an interview that Rambo has no place to go now because everyone will be looking for him, so the only place he can go where he'll be accepted is an Indian reservation. That could be interesting. They showed a photo of his dad in the movie, and I thought it was cool that they showed his Native American ancestry. I could see one more movie with him in a reservation, with his hair long and maybe even wearing a headband again.

Fighting Aliens?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s a good point, lots of notions about him as a warrior, perhaps there are story considerations around Native American warrior tradition and life being worked in, I don’t know much myself so I immediately think of army warrior which isn’t the same.

I dont think this film is even going to make it to $100 mill word wide. It's kind of sad to watch what this franchise has become. To go from one of the most financially successful action franchises of all times, to now opening in third place, and for it to be completely forgotten on the second week. This whole thing has been disappointing to watch as a fan. The bad movie posters, poor marketing campaign, lack of movie merchandise, the awful reviews from over sensitive SJW snowflakes, and to see this franchise be reduced to a gorefest for a niche audience who remembers Stallone from his old films.

Maybe it's time for...a reboot. :chase

Back