Ralph Lauren fires 120lb model for being too fat.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wait, is she shocked she was fired for not being able to model the clothes?

What good is a model who doesnt model? Kinda what you expect in the modeling world, if $200.00 goes missing at the bank and you just cant find it you dont get the whole world going "Oh its so tough to have expectations in an industry".

Paid to show clothes, cant show clothes no job.
Paid to build cars, car doesnt work no job.

Theres a reason I dont model, round (apparently) isnt a great shape to make money off of. Unless you are the pilsbury doughboy, like literally the little dude who sells his family for people to eat.

This is radiculous. Why does the fashion industry do this to woman? I mean why on earth are there size double zeros on clothing racks. My opinion is this: if you are a size zero then you don't exist. Zero is nothing, which means there should be no size zero because the person shouldn't exist.

They preach and preach about self esteem for young girls but yet ever 2 years they are changing the size of clothes. A size 5 last year is not a size 8 this year. Way to go fashion industry!! Destroying womens self esteem on dress size at a time.
It is disgusting what they do to women. They say rap music degrades women.... no the fashion industry does it much more efficiently.

I love healthy women!! No zombies for me!!

.....well, size zero fit petite women!..:huh....and what's up with you blaming the fashion industry being responsible for women's low self-esteem!?:tap....

Why doesn't the fashion industry model clothes for average women, not women who live on rice cakes and cigarettes to fit into what the industry thinks is standard?

Like I said, they want their clothes to look the same way they do on a hanger.

I wear petites, but I could never wear a size 0. Maybe one of my thighs could though. :lol

I'm just chiming into this thread to point out when I posted this I got flack for posting it and now 5 pages later the conversation continues. Its a nice public ^^^^ you to those doubters. Thanks everyone! :rock

The thing with fashion is that it's mostly aspirational, particularly haute couture. Those garments you see going down a fashion runway!? All of them are prototypes and I can guarantee most of them will never go in mass-production! It is very costly to produce a collection hence the "skinny" models. Less body to cover, the better. Economical if you're a designer.....And clothes hang better on a slim frame, if I might add.

I'm just chiming into this thread to point out when I posted this I got flack for posting it and now 5 pages later the conversation continues. Its a nice public ^^^^ you to those doubters. Thanks everyone! :rock

:confused:...you're welcome!?...............................;)

thumbyf.jpg

The thing with fashion is that it's mostly aspirational, particularly haute couture. Those garments you see going down a fashion runway!? All of them are prototypes and I can guarantee most of them will never go in mass-production! It is very costly to produce a collection hence the "skinny" models. Less body to cover, the better. Economical if you're a designer.....And clothes hang better on a slim frame, if I might add.

The thing I've never understood is that clothes are meant to be worn, and women's clothes are meant to be worn by women. If a garment is designed with a hanger in mind, why is it being presented by 'women' who look like hangers? Why not just rent a gallery and hang the collection on a wall?

The thing I've never understood is that clothes are meant to be worn, and women's clothes are meant to be worn by women. If a garment is designed with a hanger in mind, why is it being presented by 'women' who look like hangers? Why not just rent a gallery and hang the collection on a wall?

A prancing, stomping "hanger" is infinitely better than a still hanger...;)

damn you all! I need to rest for tomorrow's shows!

It just makes more sense to me that if you're going to design art in the form of female clothing, breasts, bellies and hips should figure prominently into how the art will ultimately look. Clothes on a rack are in a state of potential that not actualize until the clothes are worn.

Don't get me wrong. I am fascinated by the idea of a culture dedicated to making the esthetic decisions that determine what the civilized world will be wearing from one year to the next. But, the most profound element of that allure, to me, is the subject that they are seeking to elevate with their taste. That subject is the female body. Remove that from the equation, and you're left with art comparable to the paintings of Jackson Pollack, the novels of James Joyce, and the music of Arnold Schoenberg; subjects and mediums that have nothing to do with real human perception. It becomes academic posturing to impress those within the clique, and it leaves the audience with zilch.

It just makes more sense to me that if you're going to design art in the form of female clothing, breasts, bellies and hips should figure prominently into how the art will ultimately look. Clothes on a rack are in a state of potential that not actualize until the clothes are worn.

Don't get me wrong. I am fascinated by the idea of a culture dedicated to making the esthetic decisions that determine what the civilized world will be wearing from one year to the next. But, the most profound element of that allure, to me, is the subject that they are seeking to elevate with their taste. That subject is the female body. Remove that from the equation, and you're left with art comparable to the paintings of Jackson Pollack, the novels of James Joyce, and the music of Arnold Schoenberg; subjects and mediums that have nothing to do with real human perception. It becomes academic posturing to impress those within the clique, and it leaves the audience with zilch.

Let me quote creecher here....

There's overweight and there's over weight. Over the weight that is stipulated in the contract, that is.

If there weren't any women that qualified within their 'standard' weight, they wouldn't get any women to pose for them. There are plenty of women that fit the bill, so they prefer to get them. The Fashion industry goes through plenty of models, sometimes it's their weight that's an issue, sometimes their age, their look, their height, pregnancy, whatever fashion dictates at the time. The professional life of a model isn't that long, unless one is able to map out a viable course.

....and might I remind you that fashion design is an applied art form. A dress by Christian Lacroix may be comparable to the paintings of Jackson Pollock, the novels of James Joyce and the music of Arnold Schoenberg, yes, but it is an entirely different entity....but you already knew that, right!?............................:rolleyes:

Never understood the appeal of waifey little models. Personally I want curves and my women to look like women. If I wanted someone who looked like a 10 year old boy then I'd join NAMBLA.

ok, watch the whole thing and tell me what y'all think!.......

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/whsTXJLAUZ8&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/whsTXJLAUZ8&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

I think they put them in dresses that are too small for their frames. That and the the other women are ungodly thin. They must be hungry all the time.

I think they put them in dresses that are too small for their frames. That and the the other women are ungodly thin. They must be hungry all the time.

They put them in underwear that was too tight as well. Not sure what the purpose was, but obviously the designer didn't care if the normal weight models looked their best. Maybe he was trying to make a statement, I don't know.

I like on Project Runway over the years whenever they have an overweight or normal weight model they go into a panic. They don't know how to design for anyone who isn't a stick.

...and might I remind you that fashion design is an applied art form. A dress by Christian Lacroix may be comparable to the paintings of Jackson Pollock, the novels of James Joyce and the music of Arnold Schoenberg, yes, but it is an entirely different entity...

Art is art. The common denominator between the hacks I listed and most designers is that they create work that is detached from reality. Women are not built like clothes hangers, just as stories, paintings and music are supposed to be comprehensible (unlike the 'work' that Pollack, Joyce and Schoenberg excreted).

I don't know. Maybe I just don't understand high fashion. It must have some purpose that I'm not aware of.

They put them in underwear that was too tight as well. Not sure what the purpose was, but obviously the designer didn't care if the normal weight models looked their best. Maybe he was trying to make a statement, I don't know.

I like on Project Runway over the years whenever they have an overweight or normal weight model they go into a panic. They don't know how to design for anyone who isn't a stick.

I personally thought it was a bad move on behalf of the designer. I think it's fawking cruel to put 3 plus size models in a lineup along with the slim models...Tokenism, I tell you!....and those dresses did not served them any justice. If he was trying to make a statement, well, he failed. Big time.

Back