Rainman project: Overlook Caretaker

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i dunno... i took my shot form the side, and the screenshot is from the side. it is scaled down with aspect ratio in tact, and as you can see the top of the handle is the same thickness as the pic i took (little red lines - both same size) and when it gets to that size the length literally lines up perfectly - so does axe head size. the screen grab you took the axe is at quite an angle, whereas ebeneezers is straight from the side - and STILL i think that comparison even argues my side more as well.

I think we should land on 7" length. It's a happy medium.... thoughts everyone?

40+ on the axe list, lets hear from some of you guys!

Last edited:
I definitely think Batman's is too small (which sucks because I loved it until all of this came up. Now I want to replace it [emoji38]) but I'm interested in hearing the measurement just for sheetz & giggles.

I just wanted to see it in comparison, not to use as a template.
Fergo's Bateman axe
b69a61c2fa8de5e9a6a5981a306fb397.jpg

So guys 7 inches seems a middle ground for Mike and phine

So ....

7 ...... One
7 ...... Two
7 ...... (Now let's see how many say 3 and how many otherwise and we can decide) -

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry to use your pic Ebenezer but it was a perfect example of what I'm trying to show. If he is casually holding the axe like in EJ's pic, there shouldn't be that much excess at the butt protruding past his hand. The curvature at the end is meant to be the portion that you grip.

I'm still not saying to make it completely accurate by scale which would be 6" because I do think that's too small, but this would benefit big time by losing a ½" or so

OK. I cut through my axe right where you drew that red line. What do i do next...?

Origami,
Rainman's template is the way to go bottomline. It's the best size that will compliment the figure.
Also the contour of the Axe handle should also remain the same. It's accurate to the shape of the film used versions.

Lee knew what he was doing, he just didn't do it in wood and metal.

Last edited:
View attachment 191144

side shot I took, screen grab from movie. Hand placement tells a lot too, my hands are wider apart.
No editing, only scaled proportionately (keeping aspect ratio) to line them up. They are the same size.

I think Phine's shot may be a better example here, because in Pop's pic there is some apparent forced perspective going on (look how small one leg looks vs. the other, and how large his head looks). I'm inclined to think Rainman's is the right length, BUT Phine's pic points out another deficiency--the wood handle may be too thick on the Rainman version. Also, the axe head may actually not be long enough!

View attachment 191144

side shot I took, screen grab from movie. Hand placement tells a lot too, my hands are wider apart.
No editing, only scaled proportionately (keeping aspect ratio) to line them up. They are the same size.

The RM axe head looked too small in this so I put it in PS, made the RM pic transparent, scaled up until the axe heads overlapped and matched in size then moved the RM pic back to the top and made it opaque again.
Screen Shot 2015-06-16 at 4.03.38 PM.jpg

Screen Ssshot 2015-06-16 at 4.03.38 PM.jpg

Last edited:
I'll advise whoever has the movie handy to just watch from when Grady frees him from the food storage to the end. You'll get a good fell for how big the axe is. It ain't gargantuan for sure

What happened to team too big? Where did all you guys go, I'm surrounded dammit!!

I think Phine's shot may be a better example here, because in Pop's pic there is some apparent forced perspective going on (look how small one leg looks vs. the other, and how large his head looks). I'm inclined to think Rainman's is the right length, BUT Phine's pic points out another deficiency--the wood handle may be too thick on the Rainman version. Also, the axe head may actually not be long enough!

No more ingredients in this s*** soup!! :lol

OK. I cut through my axe right where you drew that red line. What do i do next...?

:panic: :panic:

Rainmans new project: Overlook Caretaker

^^ I am there from the beginning bro! I am in for whatever the accurate size is!
Thought everyone would settle for 7" (middle ground) but this entropy guy again threw a curve ball in your favor - so .... Unless there is another theory I would like it to be about the size you recommended!!!

Also - now that Kara pointed on the thickness of the handle - that's becoming a sour sight on my jack!!! Also the head needs to be longer!

(Hope my wife does not read this) she will be like wtf am I discussing!!!

I think we should just scale the entire axe down by about 1/2"-3/4" - but no more. That would make it 6.75" total - a regular fireman's axe is 3'2 including head. So just over 6" in 1/6 scale. to compensate for jacks size adding another 1/2" is a needed gap in this small scale cause Jack did turn out to be a big boy.

The handle thickness becomes wider when you match the head up, inevitably making the comparison shorter. you cant get the same head size and the same thickness. the axe itself is disproportionate, the red line at the handle head is wider now.

Last edited:
^^ IDK. To me 7" is perfect. ½" smaller would still be big while not looking bizarre. It just needs a little trim but if people are completely sold on the current size being perfect, then I ask again that maybe we split up in two separate groups and get both sizes made (if possible, but I don't see why not).

So I'm posting these for those who think it needs to be sized down so we can decide on a measurement. These pics are the best I can find where there's no forced perspective in play. It may seem like there is but I think but if you go and watch these scenes to see it in action, you'll really get the sense of the size

I think we should just scale the entire axe down by about 1/2"-3/4" - but no more. That would make it 6.75" total - a regular fireman's axe is 3'2 including head. So just over 6" in 1/6 scale. to compensate for jacks size adding another 1/2" is a needed gap in this small scale cause Jack did turn out to be a big boy.

Ah, not a bad idea. So you wouldn't mean something like this would you?:

:lol :wink1:

^^haha,. just trying to get a happy medium for everyone. personally I think Jack looks great with the axe he has now, since he is a 6'4 jack nicholson. But options are good so scaling the replacement I'm game for.

I'm just saying, look at the movie itself or look at those screen shots. Take EJ's pose and move his left hand closer to the axe head as he holds it on screen. Now you have the proper distance between his hands. Now look how much is protruding from his right hand....

Rainmans new project: Overlook Caretaker

Middle ground

6.75" .... One
6.75" .... Two
6.75" .... Three

And sold ...

Edit - wait a min - I guess it's still on! Sorry!

Back