R. I. P. David Bowie

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
David Bowie Dead: Legendary Artist Was 69 - Hollywood Reporter

David Bowie has died after a battle with cancer, his rep confirmed to The Hollywood Reporter.

"David Bowie died peacefully today surrounded by his family after a courageous 18 month battle with cancer. While many of you will share in this loss, we ask that you respect the family’s privacy during their time of grief," read a statement posted on the artist's official social media accounts.

The influential singer-songwriter and producer, who dabbled in glam rock, art rock, soul, hard rock, dance pop, punk and electronica during his eclectic 40-plus-year career, died after a battle with cancer.

Bowie’s artistic breakthrough came with 1972’s The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders From Mars, an album that fostered the notion of rock star as space alien. Fusing British mod with Japanese kabuki styles and rock with theater, Bowie created the flamboyant, androgynous alter ego Ziggy Stardust.

Three years later, Bowie achieved his first major American crossover success with the No. 1 single “Fame” off the Top 10 album Young Americans, then followed with the 1976 avant-garde art-rock LP Station to Station, which made it to No. 3 on the charts and featured Top 10 hit “Golden Years.”

Other memorable songs included 1983’s “Let’s Dance” — his only other No. 1 U.S. hit — “Space Oddity,” “Heroes,” “Changes,” “Under Pressure,” “China Girl,” “Modern Love,” “Rebel, Rebel,” “All the Young Dudes,” “Panic in Detroit,” “Fashion,” “Life on Mars” “Suffragette City” and a 1977 Christmas medley with Bing Crosby.

With his different-colored eyes (the result of a schoolyard fight) and needlelike frame, Bowie was a natural to segue from music into curious movie roles, and he starred as an alien seeking help for his dying planet in Nicolas Roeg’s surreal The Man Who Fell to Earth (1976). Critics later applauded his three-month Broadway stint as the misshapen lead in 1980’s The Elephant Man.

I'm crushed. I just posted this like a week ago on another board:

"I really like most of his music, but David Bowie wouldn't be in my top ten, probably top twenty artists. This is partially due to the fact that I like a lot of ********, but also due to me being honest.

That said, he is legit one of the best people ever. Effortlessly talented, surprisingly super funny, annoyingly effortlessly cool... just the best."

I like(d) him a lot, but I guess not enough to pay attention to medical problems / rumors. This completely came out of the blue for me. And right after his album's release? Crazy. And I was watching his Ziggy concert on VH1 Classics literally less than 24 hours ago.

I mean, obviously cancer is literally one of the worst things in history.

But in recent years it took MCA and Bowie from me. God damn.

Bowie seemed liked he'd be making music and looking good until he was like 120 years old.

I didn't get a chance to listen to Blackstar yet, I was literally going to listen to it on the way to work tomorrow. And now I can't. There's no way I can listen to this now without breaking down. I'm not going to be able to listen to it for a while. And I missed my chance to hear it as "the new Bowie album", now it will be a completely different piece of music.

One of my favorites from the underrated Outside era.

Rest in peace to the man who fell to Earth. I don't think his impact on music can ever be overstated.

Planet Earth is blue.

And there's nothing I can do . . .

Farewell to a true artist.

And the world was just devouring his latest feast.
Damn . . speechless.

___

This is too sad :(. I don't even know what to say...

I absolutely loved his music. One of the greatest artists who ever lived. RIP David Bowie.

Man, this is depressing. My whole family are fans of Bowie and I just bought his new album "Blackstar", which was released 3 days ago which was also his 69th birthday.

Bowie is a real legend in every sense of the word. I can't even express how devastating this day is. RIP David Bowie.

at least he didn't want to make it hard for other people knowing he has been sick for 18 months. if it was Justin Bieber or Miley Cyrus...

Back