Quint speargun making thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Les Walker

Digging my way out!
Reaction score
Just thought you guys might like me to share shots of my speargun, and how I did it.

It was started with a British rifle that Paul Carson turned me onto from Cotswold or Elite Brigade collectibles, and I cut the front of the very long barrel off at the right spot and added the bulbous area under the barrel with epoxy putty which was wood textured and painted to match the movie gun's details.

Quintgun005.jpg

I added the stock shock by carving in the details in the end of the existing stock

Quintgun008.jpg

I added aluminum tubing for the barrel

Quintgun007.jpg

I made the harpoon from another piece of slightly larger aluminum tube, so it would slide over the barrel as it did in the movie.

Quintgun006.jpg

From there, I added the tips of the harpoon, and puttied and painted all that.

Jawsgun1.jpg

There are refs for the actual gun around here somewhere, so whoever has those, can post them for reference.

Hope this helps you guys start your own guns.

That speargun is a thing of beauty. Looks perfect too -- right down to the gold ring on the base of the harpoon. I think you even put the "line threader" there on the front of the wood grip. NICE!

I really need to upgrade mine to something on this level of precision.

Les, any tips on where the base gun can be bought and details on the aluminum pieces used for the barrel and spear like what they were originally used for?

Yep Josh, that's the one. I picked one up like a year ago thanks to the one and only paulcarson. I hope to have this done too when Quint time comes around. Thanks so much for the tutorial Les. It's beautiful :D

I'm so glad Les started this thread... I NEEDED this. :lol

Had no idea where to start for myself.

That's the one! Martini Henry Rifle. Couldn't remember it to look it up again.
Anyone needing them done, in a month or so, when I get caught up, I may can do a couple of them for some folks. They are tricky as you have to bore out that trough for the aluminum barrel and all, but it is doable. You'll need some aluminum tubing, and a brass one, and that often comes in bags from hobby shops.

Anyone needing them done, in a month or so, when I get caught up, I may can do a couple of them for some folks. They are tricky as you have to bore out that trough for the aluminum barrel and all, but it is doable. You'll need some aluminum tubing, and a brass one, and that often comes in bags from hobby shops.

Count me in Bro, I was hoping you could. And that garage of yours is also a thing of beauty now. :D

Les I would love if you could help me out with this, certainly would make it worth your while. Keep us posted and thanks for sharing all of these details.

Well, after all this cleanup, I may need a few REAL martinis, not the gun...:monkey5
But yeah, if need be, send me your Martini Henrys! Let me get them in the loop! I'll figure out a cost factor. Not sure how much it will be, but not too much I would think. I'll see if I can do them for less than a headpaint. It's the puttying, dremeling and sawing of metal that is all the time consumption part. But they are not too hard. :joy

(I wasn't sure if you all wanted me to do them or not. Figured some of you might try it. )

(I wasn't sure if you all wanted me to do them or not. Figured some of you might try it. )

I'm pretty useless with tools :lol, never been my thing so for the 1001 questions I'd ask you along the way to getting the gun made, I think we'd both feel better me just fronting you some cash to do it for me haha.

OK. Start a sho-nuff list and send me your Martinis!
And a dry drink one to go with each! :lol

But seriously, better get them to me soon, so I can put them in the mix.

Trying to decide a decent fee for this. Maybe a basic one for $50ish each? They aren't real hard, but quite time consuming each (more than heads). Lots of cutting, puttying, dremeling, tubework, fabricating and gluing and moderate painting each. I don't wanna charge you guys too much. This all is already a costly project for us each. If that sounds good, let me know.

What would you pay for a nice top model Quint gun? Maybe I can do stages...a $50 basic one you can detail more if you want and do more to, a $70 bells and whistles one, with more details. $125+ if you want maybe a case and more harpoons etc. (that all will take some extra time of course...)

Let me know your thoughts.

What would you pay for a nice top model Quint gun? Maybe I can do stages...a $50 basic one you can detail more if you want and do more to, a $70 bells and whistles one, with more details.

What's the "basic model" include? It's like yours, right? -- complete speargun, with one spear.

What's included in the "bells and whistles"? A real whistle? :D

Martini Henry Rifle -- ORDER LIST

Here's the deal: they are at Cotswold at $3.99 a pop. Unfortunately, there is a $25 minimum purchase, and a $9,95 minimum ship charge. I see nothing else I need at the moment, so I was hoping I could wrangle up those who need this and maybe place a group order.

Here's the other trick - you get a 10% discount after 3 items -- never thought I'd say damn discount -- so to get to $25...

I need 7 guys to reach $25.

Do we have 7 hearty souls who wish to have a Les Speargun?

If so, I can do the footwork, unless someone has an account at Cotswold.

All the items can be shipped directly to Les.

Chime in guys if you're up for it. Otherwise, if someone here has an account with Cotswold and needs some other stuff, maybe you can place the order.

What's the "basic model" include? It's like yours, right? -- complete speargun, with one spear.

What's included in the "bells and whistles"? A real whistle? :D

I too could use a bit more detail ont he distinctions.

Martini Henry Rifle -- ORDER LIST

Here's the deal: they are at Cotswold at $3.99 a pop. Unfortunately, there is a $25 minimum purchase, and a $9,95 minimum ship charge. I see nothing else I need at the moment, so I was hoping I could wrangle up those who need this and maybe place a group order.

Here's the other trick - you get a 10% discount after 3 items -- never thought I'd say damn discount -- so to get to $25...

I need 7 guys to reach $25.

Do we have 7 hearty souls who wish to have a Les Speargun?

If so, I can do the footwork, unless someone has an account at Cotswold.

All the items can be shipped directly to Les.

Chime in guys if you're up for it. Otherwise, if someone here has an account with Cotswold and needs some other stuff, maybe you can place the order.

Greg, you can count me in your list, and if it works, I appreciate you taking the reigns.

I appreciate the offer Greg and hope you get your 7. I unfortunately already have my rifle , If I didn't you can bet that I would have jumped in on this ! Good luck ! :)

Les, just a thought. Would it be easier to just take a casting from your gun ( sans tubes etc ) and take it from there ? It would save a lot of the leg work ? Just thought that I would try to save you a lot of time and effort.

No way I am gonna try to recast this thing. I just don't know how to do that in this scale and all. Heads yeah, but not guns and such thin stuff. Never have been that good at thin object molds.

It is a lot of work, but each gun will be better the way I will make them. I am certain of that. Think Hurricane Vaders or accessories. Hand made always beats cast resin parts because you can control the details better. And I will make them all at one time, so they will all match pretty well. *See all my my headpaint sets*

Paul Carson, if need be, when the guns are ordered, I will pay for you another one. They aren't that much. If you want one, I will get it and work on it with the others and you can work it out with me. But you of all of us need a speargun.

As for the differences, I was thinking basic is the gun, cut, remade, shoulder butt scored in, barrel added, and/or with a harpoon on it. The seperate harpoon is harder to make, but I will add that as a detail.

The upgrade is one with more final detail is all. More attention to the wood and metals and more details added, rings on the harpoons etc.
I thought Josh and Mike might want to get one basic and make it more their own is all. A lower price for a simpler gun. If that makes the other one too steep for a more detailed one, let me know. Just offering degrees of finish.

The case was an afterthought. Not needed, but some of you guys may want one, and I have ideas about one is all.

Discuss. I want all that wants one to get one. Paul Carson as well. :rock
(Paul, if you don't want me to get you another one, then the shipping you pay to get your's to me, will be discounted of course. Both ways. You are a special guy here to us all. No way I am leaving you out in the cold. Not if you want one too.)

This is just the details. I will leave a lot of this to Greg. Getting the guns etc. I have what I need on this end. Just let me know.

I will put the limit on eight though. That will be a lot of guns.

Back