Question about Samples and Artist Proof statues.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Destroyous

Super Freak
Reaction score
What's the difference? Where do they come from? Are they recasts or were they used for Proto pictures or displayed at comic con or what? Any info would be greatly appreciated thank you.

What's the difference? Where do they come from? Are they recasts or were they used for Proto pictures or displayed at comic con or what? Any info would be greatly appreciated thank you.
sLets say when its SS marvel product a sample for marvel, and AP is a special signet edition mostly done by pcs

There seems to be a few theories going around in regards to what an Artist Proof (AP) entails. An AP, to my understanding in the collectibles industry, is typically the first few products a sculptor and painter create with the purpose of gaining licensure. Upon completion, it is sent to whichever organization (i.e. Marvel, Disney, Paramount Pictures, 20th Century Fox, etc.) for inspection and approval for mass production.
In this case, there will only be a few AP's made and are sometimes sold as an extremely limited piece after approval has been granted. However, lately, it seems that labeling a product as "AP" is a way for manufacturers to dole out a few more pieces, once the stated ES has been sold out, with the simple intention of making more money. The AP version in this case is no different than the regular production version.

There seems to be a few theories going around in regards to what an Artist Proof (AP) entails. An AP, to my understanding in the collectibles industry, is typically the first few products a sculptor and painter create with the purpose of gaining licensure. Upon completion, it is sent to whichever organization (i.e. Marvel, Disney, Paramount Pictures, 20th Century Fox, etc.) for inspection and approval for mass production.
In this case, there will only be a few AP's made and are sometimes sold as an extremely limited piece after approval has been granted. However, lately, it seems that labeling a product as "AP" is a way for manufacturers to dole out a few more pieces, once the stated ES has been sold out, with the simple intention of making more money. The AP version in this case is no different than the regular production version.

Technically there are a few things that can be called "Samples" and a few things that can be called "Artist Proofs"

Generally speaking a Sample is usually a production Sample sent back from the factory to the original studio, i.e. Sideshow/PCS/ARH etc., to insure that the production will meet the Master, which there are usually a few of. Now the Factory may send more than one Sample piece back and after the production is approved and finished these may make their way into people's hands.

Artist proof's are supposed to be pieces from the production run that are given to the artist, i.e. sculptor, painter, tailor etc., to match against the master and then are signed off on by the artist. They are usually from the first run of production and may even be from the first few off the line. The artist proof's can be, and sometimes are given to that artist after they sign off on it, and again some make their way into people's hands.

Now, what PCS does is they assign a certain number of Artist's proofs to a run and the first few people to order will get these. And all it means is that the piece was inspected by the art team is certified by them.

People get very hung up on both terms, Artist proof and Sample, when what they really want and will probably never see is the Master. There are usually a few Master castings at the original studio, perhaps 3 or four, These are cast directly from the original sculpture and used as painting Masters and tailoring masters so that the statues can fitted and the paint scheme can be selected and are exceedingly more rare than any artist proof or sample.

So they shouldn't be seen as any less valuable than a numbered piece basically?

No, some peeps will pay even more for an AP or sample piece because there are so few of them.
Like Filip said, the right collector will pay for an AP or Sample just because they are usually signed off by the artist or artvteam and because they fall outside the run, usually unnumbered or if the are it'll be marked AP or Sample with its number. However they have nothing else that is different from a regular production statue other than that.

Hmmm ok, well thanks dudes. I was kinda seeing it as being one of the display tvs at Best Buy that have been running all day and then when they run out of the new ones then they try to sell those for a some discount off. Probably an odd way of viewing it. But also knowing that it doesn't fit in with all the rest of my pieces cause they're numbered, sort of an ocd thing or something. I don't know I'm still thinking about it all I guess ha

I have a few. I'm a sucker for 'em. :lol I like them, but I almost find it more difficult to sell them (when the 'Great Purge' comes along) because people don't really care about its rarity, and in fact, are more concerned with it being a 'fake.'

I have a few. I'm a sucker for 'em. :lol I like them, but I almost find it more difficult to sell them (when the 'Great Purge' comes along) because people don't really care about its rarity, and in fact, are more concerned with it being a 'fake.'
Yeah, I can see that being a problem with the piece not being numbered.

But if they're gonna go as far to fake the whole statue and have its own box. Wouldn't that be the easiest part? Writing a number at the bottom? It's not like whoever owns 578/750 is gonna be able to come forth and disprove it

Back