Question About Paints?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AStar

Super Freak
Reaction score
Does anybody have any tips or suggestions on the most "accurate" paint that would blend in good with the "True Type" African American figure/body?

Recently purchased a brand new MJ figure & the head sculpt has a white spot/peeling paint right on the tip of the nose. This flaw is driving me insane. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

You're probably not going to find an exact match straight from a bottle or tube.
The best bet is to mix your own.
I use Liquitex acrylics, start with raw sienna, burnt sienna, raw umber, titanium white. You can probably adjust ratios of these paints to get a pretty close match.

Boot25 is dead on with the advice. I nearly exclusively use liquitex.

The problem with out of the bottle stuff is it's someone elses idea of what flesh should look like. Everyone's flesh tones vary. So look at the subject, only as color. Then begin blending as Boot suggests.

If you have to, even paint the neck/chest of the fig so it matches up. Otherwise it looks like somebody wearing a rubber mask.

That's what I did with the Jane Punisher. Happy with the results

For Truetypes for the white ones I use Reaper Tanned, which is almost an exact match for base color. After that I mix it. If I'm doing african american I start out with tanned shadow, and mix in reaper Dark skin tones(usually the dark highlight) till the ratio matches. I do it in an empty bottle so I don't have to mix again for awhile. I've done similar with true type cuban.

Back