Question about marvel sample and artist proof statues

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gundamric

Freaked Out
Reaction score
Hi guys I have a question are artist proofs more valuable than regular edition statues and if you could have a marvel sample sideshow statue or very low edition numbered statue for example first 10 numbers of the same character which would you prefer or would be more valuable I appreciate everybody's opinion and input thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

I actually would prefer to have a proper numbered edition statue, position of numbers are really just for people with OCD 'cause it makes no difference unless you get the first or last of the edition size that they make. The only time I like samples is if they're sold at auction by the actual company (like what Tweeterhead just did with the new Elvira proofs). Usually samples aren't more or less valuable but they can have nicer paint work which is nice. Buy what you want I always say.

Last edited:
I have a Captain America PF EX Sample and I don't see it more valuable than the standard EX. Ink said it best: What's on the bottom doesn't matter

However, if I'm trying to match a piece with a particular comic, that's when it matters to me.

The only thing I care about is my statue arriving in one piece and with no flaws.
Besides that I could care less if it's a sample/Artist Proof

Regardless how many peeps say samples, artists proofs, and ES doesn't matter, plenty of ebay listings say otherwise. These items tend to sell for more in the aftermarket. There are collectors who will pay more for them. I personally wouldn't pay more for an AP or sample piece if the price were significantly higher than ordering a numbered piece. Nor would I pay more for a lower numbered statue. That just wouldn't matter to me.

Regardless how many peeps say samples, artists proofs, and ES doesn't matter, plenty of ebay listings say otherwise. These items tend to sell for more in the aftermarket. There are collectors who will pay more for them.
Is there a spread sheet or link to prove this is true?

You just have to do your own homework when these come up for sale. They most certainly sale for a little bit more than the numbered edition. They damn sure don't sell for less.

Not really. This is just my experience over the years when looking for statutes. You would have to look at completed listings on ebay and find APs or samples of a statue to see just how much more they sell for. Far often than not, they do command more dollars than their numbered counterparts. APs, samples, and low numbered statues do sell for a premium because there are collectors out there that will pay for them.

ive got quite a few Marvel Samples, matching sets etc. while I think its cool, and may be worth more than a regularly numbered piece. personally I just like the statues and never look at the bottom of them.

more or less its just a good story to tell about the pieces themselves etc.

I think they generally always sell for more,depends how hardcore of a collector one is.I think I saw someone selling AP's recently on the other forum for some street fighter pieces,and the prices were higher than regular editions and they were selling.I wouldn't pay those prices,but there are some rich folks in this hobby

Someone offered to sell me a Spider-Man Comiquette Sample before I went with another seller. The Sample was for a Regular. Although many don't care about prints, for me it's my favorite character, and I personally valued having the EX of my favorite character more than a having a regular Sample. Plus the EX for me was a better financial deal than what the Sample seller offered me. Who knows if he sold it by now, he raised the price on me when I decided to buy, thankfully a better deal popped up, I have no regrets and an EX.

Sample Exs for different pieces do exist though. As elite as you are, someone can always be "eliter" You can filter sold eBay listings for actual sold prices but in the end it depends on what you value and what circumstances you're in.

Hi guys I have a question are artist proofs more valuable than regular edition statues and if you could have a marvel sample sideshow statue or very low edition numbered statue for example first 10 numbers of the same character which would you prefer or would be more valuable I appreciate everybody's opinion and input thank you

how valuable anything is depends on what someone will pay for it. i have found that artist proofs and production samples always sell for more money than the regular version because they are more desirable to some collectors. i base this statement on selling a total of 11 of these type pieces.

I'm starting to see some sold listings on ebay and they definitely sell for more i am wondering if quality wise in terms of paint application are they superior to regular versions I assume they are since they go to the companies for them to approve them before they are mass produced also had anybody seen a sample or artist proof next to regular version is there any difference in the paint job?

I'm starting to see some sold listings on ebay and they definitely sell for more i am wondering if quality wise in terms of paint application are they superior to regular versions I assume they are since they go to the companies for them to approve them before they are mass produced also had anybody seen a sample or artist proof next to regular version is there any difference in the paint job?

it depends on the piece. i've seen better and worse.

For example which pieces would you say were better and which worse?

i own an bowen modern captain america artist proof. paint is outstanding although the sculpt and base isn't the most sought after. still a GREAT piece but it seems not many are interested in it.

i sold a sideshow spider-man comiquette production sample. the paint wasn't the greatest and a lot of the spider web detail on his back was missing because of what seemed to be a lazy painter. but since it was rare, someone wanted it and paid dearly.

so like i said, each one would have to be evaluated on a case by case assessment. do a google search to gather info on the piece you're looking at.

Is there any possibility of some picture examples from anybody that has some of this pieces and comparison between normal Es and samples of artist proofs

Back