Quantum Mechanix 1/6 Star Trek TOS Kirk and Spock

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's some more quick iPhone snaps. I will get some proper lights and pictures taken.

IMG_5912.JPG

IMG_5913.JPG

IMG_5914.JPG

Thanks, guys.

Some of the lights blink on and off and it plays bridge sounds too :lol

Here's a sense of scale:

Main Section - Spock].jpg

I've started working on a chair. Even though I took (what I thought were) correct measurements, the back has come out way too low in relation to the figures.

TOS Chair Working.jpg

So, I need to make the back a lot taller, paint a lighter blue, make the legs, and then the triangular pieces for the back of the main seat, but a proof of principle at least.

The bulk of it was a commission - I've got to go inside and solve a couple of issues with it and make a few further mods - like changing the displays and getting them to light up etc. I've also got to do the red railing, and I'm building part the door to go next to it.

I just wanted a custom display to show off the QMx figures. I hope they do the rest of the bridge crew and I need to get that chair done before Uhura arrives :lol

Another member here has 3D printed the centre console, but I think I'd have trouble displaying it with something like that too. I'll have to see.

Thanks guys n' gals. :duff

I had to open it up tonight as some of it wasn't working. While I was in there, I had ideas on how to improve it. So, I'll be doing some work to it and also adding part or all of the door to the right. And then that's it because otherwise it's WAY too big as a display piece. Right now, it's a comfortable size.

One more crappy picture with it all working -

FullSizeRender.jpg

*The bridge sounds are sooooooo fun :)

Ready for more figures now, QMx. Please? Pretty please? :lol

Well, I had some time to mess around and futz with Kirk and Spock last night, so here's a few quick impressions:

Clearly, Kirk is the winner here. The head sculpt is excellent, with great paint apps and the best likeness I've seen so far. The body that was chosen works great with the fat suit, and the tailoring of the uniform fits perfectly and looks great.
Spock is, in comparison, a bit disappointing. The shirt flares a little bit (and I hesitate to try any water treatment on this material), but that is a minor nitpick, as is the slightly too-buff body (I might even consider using an old Sideshow Buck, its lankiness would suit Spock perfectly). The real problem for me is the head sculpt. There is something odd about it that I can't really put my finger on... Others have already pointed out the "lumpiness", which I prefer to call the exaggerated features, but there's something off about the entire shape of the head... Maybe it is the neck that seems a bit too thick, or maybe it's the cranium that seems "pinched", but there is something that is definitely throwing the whole thing off.
Still, it's a great sculpt, very detailed and life-like. The paint apps are great, no complaints there.

So, overall, great set of figures! Certainly the best Star Trek figures I've seen. The quality of the clothing, the attention to detail, the accessories, the overall look and feel of the figures is simply excellent! Congratulations to QMX and Nanjin for bringing these to life. Now, let's wait for McCoy and the rest of the gang.

A quick word about the packaging.
I usually don't care either way for packaging, but since these are the first officially licensed 1/6 scale Star trek figures, I think the packaging deserves a mention.
Functionally, it's great. Absolutely no complaints there. Everything is held in place securely, the figures themselves have protective taping around delicate areas like head, hands and boots, and the packaging itself is quite sturdy.
But the graphic design...
I suppose I can understand the QMX is a relatively new company and they want their logo to feature prominently to be easily recognisable and generate awareness for the company, but it's such a missed opportunity to design something truly beautiful.
Star Trek; the colours of the uniforms, the shapes of the insignia and the ship itself, they are all iconic and instantly recognisable. Just look at some of the beautiful packaging that has been done for DVD's and Blu-rays. These boxes could have been fantastic designs. As they are now, I find them quite a let down to the product that is inside.

Anyway, will try to post some picks and perhaps do a more in-depth review this week end.

Again, thanks Nanjin and QMX, these figures are amazing!

Clearly, Kirk is the winner here. The head sculpt is excellent, with great paint apps and the best likeness I've seen so far.

This seems to be a common sentiment - IMO, it's a shame they didn't tap Inigo for more of the TOS sculpts.

A quick word about the packaging.
I usually don't care either way for packaging, but since these are the first officially licensed 1/6 scale Star trek figures, I think the packaging deserves a mention.
Functionally, it's great. Absolutely no complaints there. Everything is held in place securely, the figures themselves have protective taping around delicate areas like head, hands and boots, and the packaging itself is quite sturdy.

I'd like to point out that the box is very thin and very fragile. It's easily ripped when opening.
As for the plastic shells: they do hold everything in place. But only before 8 strips of tape are cut. the shells don't snap well together again. Only the squeeze of the box will keep them from separating and exposing the accessories.

Not complaining. Just pointing it out. I would have been glad to get these figures in just a bag.

The real problem for me is the head sculpt. There is something odd about it that I can't really put my finger on... Others have already pointed out the "lumpiness", which I prefer to call the exaggerated features, but there's something off about the entire shape of the head... Maybe it is the neck that seems a bit too thick, or maybe it's the cranium that seems "pinched", but there is something that is definitely throwing the whole thing off.
Still, it's a great sculpt, very detailed and life-like. The paint apps are great, no complaints there.

Yeah it appears to me the front of Spock's face just isn't as flat as it needs to be, and has been pinched in on the sides as you say. Which is a problem I see with a lot of digital sculpts, where they focus all their attention on getting the features right from straight on, but not so much from every other angle (and even Kirk's head looks a bit squished to me in profile, with his chin not jutting out nearly as much as it should).

Back