QMX Star Trek General discussion thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nanjin,

No one blames you for the Uhura disaster.

I will bet money that you personally financed the prototype.

The Animals at QMX simply do not understand that it is 2019:

Just as CRAZY RICH ASIANS made a lot of money at the box office, or as female lead driven action movies can make money, a lot of money, so could a 1/6th scale figure of Uhura show a profit for the company.

Then what possible reason could they have for making her the last figure out of the crew, oh wait, NOT MAKING HER AT ALL???

But dont worry, QMX will make another caucasian male figure very soon... one Sulu doesnt wash away the history of their lines.

Disgraceful, the head of QMX should be fired.

Animals.

Note to QMX, look at any other 1/6th scale companies diverse lines of figures. You know, the companies that are ALL DOING BETTER THAN YOU GUYS ARE.

Animals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, more Sulus are being made and sold through Sideshow, Qmx, other stores. I?m not sure why anyone thinks it?s canceled. Maybe a rando speculation post that others read and relay as fact? Perhaps Qmx would have been better off taking pre orders two years ahead of est delivery? :wink1

WTF are you on about? :lol I was asking Nanjin not a rando such as yourself.

If you read through the threads (LOL) you'll see only a limited number were released.

QMx is out of stock, Sideshow have an ETA of Jan 2020 - Feb 2020 and the Europe guys ordered at the start of the year and have had no updates.

I came here to post that Sulu is out at Gamestop, but since I'm here, I'll add this:

WTF are you on about? [emoji38] I was asking Nanjin not a rando such as yourself.

You do know you are on a discussion board, right? There's something called PMs for private messages. Dont be a jerk to someone trying to be helpful and respond to you. Responses like these are why the internet is less of a community and more of an ordeal.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Nanjin,

No one blames you for the Uhura disaster.

I will bet money that you personally financed the prototype.

The Animals at QMX simply do not understand that it is 2019:

Just as CRAZY RICH ASIANS made a lot of money at the box office, or as female lead driven action movies can make money, a lot of money, so could a 1/6th scale figure of Uhura show a profit for the company.

Then what possible reason could they have for making her the last figure out of the crew, oh wait, NOT MAKING HER AT ALL???

But dont worry, QMX will make another caucasian male figure very soon... one Sulu doesnt wash away the history of their lines.

Disgraceful, the head of QMX should be fired.

Animals.

Note to QMX, look at any other 1/6th scale companies diverse lines of figures. You know, the companies that are ALL DOING BETTER THAN YOU GUYS ARE.

Animals.

Dude, we're all frustrated with QMX here, but relax already! We're not talking about a crime against humanity just because they're not releasing all the Trek figures we want. :lol

And the reason Uhura had to be saved for last is only because they've had trouble finding a proper female body to use for her. Which is what Nanjin has been telling us since the start.

Dude, we're all frustrated with QMX here, but relax already! We're not talking about a crime against humanity just because they're not releasing all the Trek figures we want. :lol

And the reason Uhura had to be saved for last is only because they've had trouble finding a proper female body to use for her. Which is what Nanjin has been telling us since the start.

You and I have communicated over PM before, and I respect you, and I respect your opinion. Ask any of your African-American friends, about how in the society:

People say one thing, but its the actions and what they do that actually means something.

In other words, if QMX actually gave a basic level of care about this, they would have made additional- extra efforts to ensure that the full representation of the crew occurred.

This isnt just geeks collecting toys, Martin Luther King Jr. has a connection to TOS, it is important and it is relevant, especially today, especially now:

After the first season aired in 1966, Nichols had plans to quit the show to join a Broadway-bound production. But Martin Luther King Jr. convinced her otherwise, and in the process, underscored the role pop culture had in the fight for equality.

Full article:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ek-was-so-important-to-martin-luther-king-jr/

If you think its not odd that the only African-American character (and only lead female character besides Nurse Christine Chapel) is not represented in this line, then I suggest you watch a documentary called EYES ON THE PRIZE from PBS before responding to this.

The very spirit of Star Trek is inclusiveness and breaking new barriers, not exclusion, it goes against the very spirit of what Star Trek represents at its core.

I used to work for Triad Toys, you may remember them.

They created female bodies in four skintones, with three bust sizes, and various accompanying accessories. The company tried its best to provide a variety of options to support that market.

The simple fact is, the African American skintone sold less than any other skintone. The market is not very strong for African American figures. Frankly, it's not there for any other ethnicity besides Caucasian. The Asian skintone sold a decent amount, but the large bust Caucasian base body far and away outsold anything else the company offered.

It has nothing to do with the amount a company cares.

If Kirk and Spock sell 1,000 units. McCoy will sell 800, Bones will sell 800, Sulu will sell 700. Uhura will sell 400. That's just business.

Maybe nanjin has sales data that proves otherwise, but I know for a fact that Uhura wouldn't sell well. People will complain about the sculpt and how it doesn't capture her, or that the body isn't accurate ... they've lost interest in the line, something, they'll make up some reason not to buy the figure.

Hell, look at all the people that didn't buy Winston when Blitzway made the Ghostbusters. As though he was somehow less of a 'Buster.

It's a societal thing that's beyond the scope of the toy business.

:exactly: :goodpost:

The “there must be a vast conspiracy” over at QMx posts have been entertaining to read. It’s funny how something as simple as what Nanjin stated and what you restated in your post, never dawned on them.

They created female bodies in four skintones, with three bust sizes, and various accompanying accessories. The company tried its best to provide a variety of options to support that market.

The simple fact is, the African American skintone sold less than any other skintone. The market is not very strong for African American figures. Frankly, it's not there for any other ethnicity besides Caucasian. The Asian skintone sold a decent amount, but the large bust Caucasian base body far and away outsold anything else the company offered.

If Kirk and Spock sell 1,000 units. McCoy will sell 800, Bones will sell 800, Sulu will sell 700. Uhura will sell 400. That's just business.

Maybe nanjin has sales data that proves otherwise, but I know for a fact that Uhura wouldn't sell well. People will complain about the sculpt and how it doesn't capture her, or that the body isn't accurate ... they've lost interest in the line, something, they'll make up some reason not to buy the figure.

Hell, look at all the people that didn't buy Winston when Blitzway made the Ghostbusters. As though he was somehow less of a 'Buster.

Good posting as well. It all depends on the popularity of a character as far as who gets made, and how many units. I wouldn’t consider Sulu or Chekhov as being anymore popular than Uhura, but as someone else mentioned, they’d be easier to make than Uhura, being that there’s already a body ready to go for them since they can simply reuse a previous one. Uhura would require a completely different body design in addition to a completely different sculpt.

Obviously Kirk and Spock will be the top two most popular, followed by McCoy. I’d imagine a lot of the combinations people would have are: Kirk by himself; Kirk and Spock; Kirk, Spock and McCoy, or the entire crew.

As far as the GB are concerned, I’d say Venkman, Egon, Ray, and then Winston would be the most sought after in that order. The first three coming first because they are the original founding three. It seems like the combinations a lot of people have are either: Venkman by himself; Venkman and Egon; Venkman, Ray, and Egon, or all four.

Not everyone has the money to drop, or the space to accommodate an entire crew or team, so in order to represent that franchise, they’re going to go for the character(s) that best represent that franchise. Uhura by herself, or Winston by himself, wouldn’t be one’s first choice to represent that franchise, unless one is just simply a die hard fan of that particular character.

Folks, try not to argue. The origin of this conflict is simply because people lack info and assurance. Adding to that I have been like an irritated rat running around yelling rat language.

We are all frustrated for different reasons.

I have an inexcusable responsibility for this. When I am unemployed which I hope to be soon, then I can clear some of the fog.

Anyway, re-inssue Kirk and Spock are doing EXTREMELY well. I am doing my best to conclude my venture in sharing my Trek vision, bring back your childhood and put a smile on your face.

But because the plan that was said to be followed was never followed, and because of the new body being used, my production timing were mostly not coordinated.

They will be completed very soon.

b09ec88ffcd3483db76a37228659c0d9.jpg

Sent from my SM-N9750 using Tapatalk

Folks, try not to argue. The origin of this conflict is simply because people lack info and assurance. Adding to that I have been like an irritated rat running around yelling rat language.

We are all frustrated for different reasons.

I have an inexcusable responsibility for this. When I am unemployed which I hope to be soon, then I can clear some of the fog.

Anyway, re-inssue Kirk and Spock are doing EXTREMELY well. I am doing my best to conclude my venture in sharing my Trek vision, bring back your childhood and put a smile on your face.

But because the plan that was said to be followed was never followed, and because of the new body being used, my production timing were mostly not coordinated.

They will be completed very soon.

b09ec88ffcd3483db76a37228659c0d9.jpg

Nanjin,

You are like Pizza, everybody loves you.

No one blames you for any figure not coming to fruition. You, and Howard Chan, are probably the 2 most respected people in the 1/6th business - community ...

Its simply a shame that we all will not be able to pay money for items which have been dangled in front of our noses for years. I realize that the Uhura sculpt - prototype in progress was never formally shown off at SDCC, but many other Trek figures were.

That is a shame.

Nanjin,

You are like Pizza, everybody loves you.

No one blames you for any figure not coming to fruition. You, and Howard Chan, are probably the 2 most respected people in the 1/6th business - community ...

Its simply a shame that we all will not be able to pay money for items which have been dangled in front of our noses for years. I realize that the Uhura sculpt - prototype in progress was never formally shown off at SDCC, but many other Trek figures were.

That is a shame.

I met Mr Chan a few times.

I followed him since 2008 when I wasnt even a 1/6 collector.

I was the senior strategist for a Vegas gambling establishment, guessing people and manipulate gamblers and wise guys (professional gamblers) had became my 2nd nature. I used to only work 7 months and have 5 months holidays (this was why I had so much time in my earlier venture).

Since 2008, I was guessing his next steps among friends in the Shanghai business communities. Not bragging, my guesses were ALL correct. This was why when I went to China with Trek, my friends wanted to invest. Even NetDragon DJ (the guy who built the voyager as his office in china) seeked me out and planned to invest. I refused to take responsibility (I only want to make Trek figures and built my handicap school for orphans. I dont like to have any other responsibilities except to my friends - You Guys)

Mr Chan is an amazing guy. He treats his employees well, and still took care of those who took care of him when he was no body. As a department head and a team leader for 15 years, he has my total respect.

This guy even slept on concrete floor. A general that stays connect with the frontline.

IT Pennyeise supposed to be our battlefield. I lost even before our battle begins. Yet, it was an honor to be his rival. He saw me broke a lot of barriers that he setup.

Took me 1.5 years to have this gigantic Hulk attention. I think I was the only one in 1/6 industry who could do this (except Bill Chan of Enterbay). HT has a whole team of people, I only had handicaps that no one wants, and I didnt even had a development team. I believe I did well under this circumstances [emoji16] (use Trek as a jump board to catch DC attention to break HT licensing barriers- only teaming up with QMx could do this)

Licensing, production leverage, development, and continuously improve the production personnel are the keys to his success. No one can come close to him without one of the above.

I was doing all those with evident success except licensing.

I couldnt even accomplish what Mr Chan did 10 years ago. But our attitudes are comparable.

(I have good relationship with my opponents. I even know HT's IT taiwanese sculptor, and HT's in house production prototyper).

Thank you for the kind words, guys. I am only blaming myself for not able to deliver TOS with my own hands.

This is my character. I took the lead, then I have to be responsible for ALL faults.

If 1/6 TOS failed, I am the one to blame because I picked the wrong fix, and I had been trying to fix this all along but failed.

Last edited:
Huh? Your passion has brought us many things we all never thought that we would get. And I think (we all think) all of your TOS figures are amazing. And a lot of us have seen on your Facebook page the images of the Uhura that you were developing, which was clearly done with love and respect towards Nichelle.

I have an interesting question, Nanjin, if it's something you have some insight on. At one point, Greggo with Big Chief Studios commented that whatever technique HT uses for eyes has a high margin of error and they reject a lot of heads during production because of it. Do you know how it's done? And how does that compare to the eyes you have produced on your Trek figs, as they too have very clean applications?

I have an interesting question, Nanjin, if it's something you have some insight on. At one point, Greggo with Big Chief Studios commented that whatever technique HT uses for eyes has a high margin of error and they reject a lot of heads during production because of it. Do you know how it's done? And how does that compare to the eyes you have produced on your Trek figs, as they too have very clean applications?
Only HT can do those eyes. the parts are made in the US and is not available in China. There is also the possibility of ?multiple prints? to create those eyes. I havent found the source yet...

HT has 7-8 colors in ONE eye, we have 4 most have 3.

I just spilled some professional info [emoji28]

Last edited:
Forgive me for not keeping up with this thread- but is this the end? No more releases- especially no TNG? The line is dead?

Forgive me for not keeping up with this thread- but is this the end? No more releases- especially no TNG? The line is dead?

A preview of Chekov was shown at SDCC I believe, so that should be coming, not sure on Uhura. The rerelease Kirk and Spock are coming, seems doubtful for TNG.

I'm late to this thread as well. have Kirk and Spock reissue ordered. is there going to be a mccoy reissue, or is the 2017 release it? thanks in advance

Back