QMX Star Trek General discussion thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know I think folks are really overreacting on Sulu, it doesn't look that bad to me, even with the new, slight smile. George has weird eyebrows, so that fits -- not entirely accurate, but damn close; and the "smile" that everyone is blowing out of proportion is pretty mild.

4eac3ad728de92928d7853a4fdc8f4d6.jpg
2e45d4fb-5206-4a12-9777-0730a9d01732.jpg
761b3bcb970e87335f2b58db1fd7a18f.jpg
8995983.jpg
entp-chekov-pics01-ne.jpg
george-takei-as-lt-sulu-star-trek-vthe-final-frontier-star-trek-v-BPD7HW.jpg
george-takei-captain-h-sulu-star-trek-vi-the-undiscovered-country-BPDX5K.jpg
george-takei.jpg
h8D3C01DB.jpeg
Hikaru_Sulu,_2293.jpg
mr_sulu.0.0.jpg
sulu-1.jpg
sulu-star-trek.jpg
Sulu.jpg
Takei-640x480.jpg
thenakedtimehd0399.jpg

He mostly has a deadpanned look and that is what most of us think of when we think of Sulu. As far as the eyebrows, it is suttle and only when he has the extreme facial expression.

Again, I would have been perfectly fine with a hint of a smile like we see in a lot of those TOS pics. But what we got in the sculpt is a bit more than that, and not nearly as natural looking.

Not reflective of the character and not even reflective of George Takei's actual smile. So it doesn't work well reflecting either the character nor the actor who played him, at least to me.

Who's that blue guy? He looks more life-like.

Wow. Thank you. That is quite a compliment. I will share that with the 3-D artist. The blue alien was inspired by a character on the TV series, The Orville. I purchased a high resolution 3-D printer for the artist to use and he sculpts 1/6 aliens for me. He can also use my printer to fill any orders of items people may want.

Wow. Thank you. That is quite a compliment. I will share that with the 3-D artist. The blue alien was inspired by a character on the TV series, The Orville. I purchased a high resolution 3-D printer for the artist to use and he sculpts 1/6 aliens for me. He can also use my printer to fill any orders of items people may want.

That’s very cool. I’m curious how the 3D printed sculpt looks close up. Can you post some close up shots?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not reflective of the character and not even reflective of George Takei's actual smile. So it doesn't work well reflecting either the character nor the actor who played him, at least to me.

I agree. I was disappointed when they bait-switched the heads. That is bad business practice. But I am over being mad, and the one they are shipping out is still the best Sulu figure ever released. It knocks the socks off of anything else out there in the market. So by that standard, I can be happy with it. I just hope that QMx sticks to the advertised head sculpts for future releases. Hope and crosses fingers may work magic? ;)

Nice! Tabling this for Zaranite, Arcturian, Saurian and maybe Rhaandarite and Betelgeusian heads once the TOS line is complete...

YES! That would be awesome. The alien action figures from ST TMP are in my collection. I even considered making a 1/6 scale Saurian from ST Discovery. I have always wanted the aliens more than humans.

Back