QMX Star Trek General discussion thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am not a Trek collector, but this thread is inspiring.

To see the creator interact with the buyers in such a way , its really amazing.

The figures are really great also, some serious great sculpts showing up.

The production level is also impressive. I have been rooting for a company to take on the big boy for a while...

QMX , keep up the great work, the collector world is watching!

Sent from the inside of a giant slug in outer space.....

Amen.
m.

Yeah I can see how it wouldn't be good for QMX if people starting being a lot more picky about the figures being released now, after hearing how many other characters are in the pipeline that they might want to wait for instead. And that's why I was initially going to pass on Scotty and Sulu myself, since I was looking far ahead and trying to decide which ones I could live without.

I think it's probably much better for the Trek line and QMX if we just sort of take it one figure at a time instead.

Unfortunately I’m one of the folks who has now decided I need to be picky. Scotty was my last must-have characters, I ordered him as soon as he went up for P.O. on a UK supplier site and got him for a pretty decent price. If Sulu stayed the same price (I was actually really hoping for a price reduction due to potential parts reuse etc) I’d have been all in for the full crew - unfortunately Sulu is about 10% more expensive again so I’ve just decided I need to call it a day with just Kirk, Spock, Bones, Scotty and the chair on my shelf.
The Sulu figure does look fantastic (great head sculpt) but I just can’t justify the increasing cost, which I guess may be a result of the reduced production quantity.
It does look as though the pre-orders of Sulu are selling out though, which is great news for the continuation of the line.

Unfortunately I’m one of the folks who has now decided I need to be picky. Scotty was my last must-have characters, I ordered him as soon as he went up for P.O. on a UK supplier site and got him for a pretty decent price. If Sulu stayed the same price (I was actually really hoping for a price reduction due to potential parts reuse etc) I’d have been all in for the full crew - unfortunately Sulu is about 10% more expensive again so I’ve just decided I need to call it a day with just Kirk, Spock, Bones, Scotty and the chair on my shelf.
The Sulu figure does look fantastic (great head sculpt) but I just can’t justify the increasing cost, which I guess may be a result of the reduced production quantity.
It does look as though the pre-orders of Sulu are selling out though, which is great news for the continuation of the line.

Whoever you’re ordering from is jacking up the price. He’s the same price as Scotty on the QMX site.

Whoever you’re ordering from is jacking up the price. He’s the same price as Scotty on the QMX site.
I don't think Sulu is more expensive - the difference is most likely additional UK taxes. A few products are available to some people from a separate business that isn't liable to charge all the taxes I think, so it's more a case if being grateful the cheaper option is available on a few select products. Businesses have to do their bit and pay their taxes, especially post Brexit!

I don't mind paying a bit more to get a decent service from a reliable supplier even if that means I end up buying maybe one less figure per year.

There's a chance they might preview the new TOS Kirk and Spock figures this year, but I don't see them being released for another year or so from everything Nanjin and QMX have said.

Yes, bring on the TMP goodness!

Though now I’m leaning toward blue-suited “Captain” Kirk over white-and-grey “Admiral” Kirk.

I suppose ideally, I'd prefer the grey and beige so that everyone matches but I know Nanjin is only a fan of the admiral's dress uniform. I'm going to see what Gee Whiz can come up with but I'll need to source the delta and buckles elsewhere first.

I don't think Sulu is more expensive - the difference is most likely additional UK taxes. A few products are available to some people from a separate business that isn't liable to charge all the taxes I think, so it's more a case if being grateful the cheaper option is available on a few select products. Businesses have to do their bit and pay their taxes, especially post Brexit!

Yes, I think this may well be the case - I got a pretty decent discount for paying for Scotty as soon as he went up for P.O. but it looks like the supplier is no longer able to support that kind of discount.
Scotty was around the same price as I paid for the original 3 but Sulu is definitely a jump up in cost so I’ll need to pass on him unfortunately. Being a 1/6 collector in the UK has always been a very expensive hobby but even more so now due to escalating inflation and taxes, I need to be more selective than ever...

Yes, I think this may well be the case - I got a pretty decent discount for paying for Scotty as soon as he went up for P.O. but it looks like the supplier is no longer able to support that kind of discount.
Scotty was around the same price as I paid for the original 3 but Sulu is definitely a jump up in cost so I’ll need to pass on him unfortunately. Being a 1/6 collector in the UK has always been a very expensive hobby but even more so now due to escalating inflation and taxes, I need to be more selective than ever...

The issue is most likely scale. When a business reaches a certain level of turnover, they are required by law to register for VAT. Any company that wants to avoid VAT registration has to remain small, and therefore has to choose carefully which products it can supply. They won't be able to supply everything to everyone all the time or their turnover gets too big again. You are essentially dealing with two different businesses with different internal structures rather than a single business hiking the price on certain products.

I suppose ideally, I'd prefer the grey and beige so that everyone matches but I know Nanjin is only a fan of the admiral's dress uniform. I'm going to see what Gee Whiz can come up with but I'll need to source the delta and buckles elsewhere first.

Yeah I think that blue/gray uniform would probably look pretty darn cool in 1/6. Although for me I'd be content just having the admiral uniform for Kirk, the black tunic for Spock, and an Ilia, since they were the standout looks from that movie.

Yeah I think that blue/gray uniform would probably look pretty darn cool in 1/6. Although for me I'd be content just having the admiral uniform for Kirk, the black tunic for Spock, and an Ilia, since they were the standout looks from that movie.
I think there might be plans to include the Vulcan robe with TWoK Spock. I'm hoping that, as Ilia's accessories would be so minimal and it's the 40th Anniversary, there's a slim chance we might get a probe version. If she also came with a uniform, even better but that is most likely a step too far.

Spock_Khan.jpg

This is the entirety of my QMX collection. The quality of the figures is good, but a few issues stand out for me concerning both Spock and Khan. Spock is too muscular and Khan has a pot belly. In the actual episode Khan appears, he is quite buff, and walks around with an open shirt for at least half the episode. I would have loved both of these figures to have that subtle front and back shift at the top of the shoulders that host Hot Toys figures have now.

The Captains Chair, on the other hand, is mindblowing. 10/10. I had no idea how much I would like this thing. The upholstered seats makes it feel like one of those Vitra designer classic chairs. Attention to details is great. Lightup feature is appreciated, and the sounds are a hoot.

Spock_Khan_Vitrine.jpg

I think there might be plans to include the Vulcan robe with TWoK Spock. I'm hoping that, as Ilia's accessories would be so minimal and it's the 40th Anniversary, there's a slim chance we might get a probe version. If she also came with a uniform, even better but that is most likely a step too far.

I am going to go out on a limb and declare that as much as I would love an IIia on my shelf there will not be one.

I am going to go out on a limb and declare that as much as I would love an IIia on my shelf there will not be one.

It's not exactly out on a limb but quite likely correct. I think Chapel will be the test for the more limited Trek babes runs. If she sells well enough then I think Ilia is a possibility because of the simplicity of the sculpt (no hair) and outfit (bath robe) although I would have said Kirtsie Alley was more likely and maybe Grace Lee Whitney. I'm just wondering if the anniversary might tip the scales.

View attachment 446403

This is the entirety of my QMX collection. The quality of the figures is good, but a few issues stand out for me concerning both Spock and Khan. Spock is too muscular and Khan has a pot belly. In the actual episode Khan appears, he is quite buff, and walks around with an open shirt for at least half the episode. I would have loved both of these figures to have that subtle front and back shift at the top of the shoulders that host Hot Toys figures have now.

The Captains Chair, on the other hand, is mindblowing. 10/10. I had no idea how much I would like this thing. The upholstered seats makes it feel like one of those Vitra designer classic chairs. Attention to details is great. Lightup feature is appreciated, and the sounds are a hoot.

View attachment 446404

Space Seed is my favorite and definitely all time most watched episode of TOS...you should give it another viewing because Nanjin definitely did his homework. He actually went to the trouble of adding the stomach padding deliberately. While Khan looks lithe and muscular in the open shirt dress uniform he definitely appears to have a paunch, just like the figure, when he is wearing the red jump suit. The pot belly is definitely screen accurate. Maybe Ricardo Montalban forgot to suck in his stomach during those scenes.

It's not exactly out on a limb but quite likely correct. I think Chapel will be the test for the more limited Trek babes runs. If she sells well enough then I think Ilia is a possibility because of the simplicity of the sculpt (no hair) and outfit (bath robe) although I would have said Kirtsie Alley was more likely and maybe Grace Lee Whitney. I'm just wondering if the anniversary might tip the scales.

Ilia would make a sexy figure to behold, but I think it would be best to develop seamless legs and ankles, like the Edation Hot Stuff bodies.

I imagine the production run for Chapel will be even smaller than the one for Scotty. Personally I don't know if this is a character I remotely need in my collection, but if it's well executed I might just buy it anyway.

I just hope Nanjin gives her one of the earlier hairstyles from the first season, instead of that ugly 60s beehive she had later on. :D

ggdddh.JPG

About the color: For years I mistakenly thought Kirk's, McCoy's and Scotty's basic duty uniforms were a powder blue, but in reality they were grey. The studio lights and the film stock made them look light blue.

How ‘bout that, I never knew. It’s Han Solo’s Hoth jacket all over again!

Since I generally prefer screen-accurate to real-world-accurate I’d still tend toward the powder blue.

Back