QMx 1:6 Star Trek: TNG - Jean Luc Picard

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well it took quite a few layers of paint to cover the stains, but I finally managed to get it done. And after widening the shoulders and padding out the waist and legs I think I'm pretty darn happy with this figure now. Although I think I might touch up the hair at some point (since he still had a bit of gray on the series).

20170603_101519 (497x750).jpg

20170603_105608 (537x1000).jpg

...Already a few thoughts on here on how to fix these proportions, but unfortunately no one seems to be able to tackle how to get the shirt the right color. Way too dark maroon. I don't care what QMX says; the shirt wasn't this color.

Nanjin was adamant about using the alleged prop color instead of choosing a color in line with the actual screen appearance. I think the fact the fabric takes on a magenta feel to the point of hot pink overtones in the third photo Kuat posted of his Krennic body swap shows what a poor choice it was.

The only way to address the color would be to replace the fabric. I intend to do that at some point, but I don't have time now.

Yeah I've been futzing like crazy to try to get those lines as clean and straight as they should be, and also used doublesided tape to pull the tunic down, but it's just not very easy to do with this outfit. At least on this stock body.

Nanjin was adamant about using the alleged prop color instead of choosing a color in line with the actual screen appearance. I think the fact the fabric takes on a magenta feel to the point of hot pink overtones in the third photo Kuat posted of his Krennic body swap shows what a poor choice it was.

The only way to address the color would be to replace the fabric. I intend to do that at some point, but I don't have time now.

Is it possible too that the fabric of the original prop may have faded after 30 years?

This has been a hot topic in collecting circles for many a year. The TIE Fighter model in SW was painted a fairly deep blue, but under studio lighting looked like a pale grey.
So the decision when making a studio model is "do you paint it blue(Which it never looked like on screen), or grey, as it appeared, but not as the original model was???"
So, would you prefer the tunic looked as it appeared on screen? Or as the original garment looked before it got onto set under studio lighting?
It's a toughie. And for everyone that likes your choice, two more will moan about it, lol.

The color is definitely very maroon under normal daylight, but under warm incandescent lighting I find that it looks a lot closer to the screen color (and the color you see in my pics is very close to what I see in person). And that's good enough for me.

Not to mention that this feels closer to the color I remember from watching the show originally, versus that ultra bold red of the blu-rays which might look nice but just doesn't feel nearly as "right" to me for some reason.

red (463x700).jpg

So, would you prefer the tunic looked as it appeared on screen? Or as the original garment looked before it got onto set under studio lighting?It's a toughie. And for everyone that likes your choice, two more will moan about it, lol.

I acknowledge that if you sell something as a "studio model" then you do have dilemma.

Costume designers consciously design for the screen appearance. In the "Star Wars Costumes" book release 2-3 years ago, the original designers explicitly talk about how they choose fabrics to create a target screen color. For example Han's Bespin jacket is really a blue-grey, more to the later, in wardrobe, but they specifically intended it to look blue.

Also as I have pointed out, "prop-accurate" in the age of digital means a computer file. So people who point to the prop inevitably switch to screen-accurate at some point.

Not to mention that this feels closer to the color I remember from watching the show originally, versus that ultra bold red of the blu-rays which might look nice but just doesn't feel nearly as "right" to me for some reason. ]

Firstly your padding marvellously improves the figure. Well done.

The colors are simply washed out in the top image. Look at Worf's ops gold, the backlighting on the displays, or Troi's actually maroon outfit rather the command red.

Perhaps, but to my eye it still seemed to have a slightly different and more maroon hue to it, instead of simply being a washed out version of the same color. And you can find plenty of examples where it looked a lot more maroon than that.

I think what seperates it here is that even under bright lights I still can't get it to look the way it looked in the show. I don't know if its the material maybe, or if the prop that was copied could have faded after 30 years of storage, but all I get from this figure is purple and maroon no matter what light its under. And the brighter the light, the more pink comes out. Similar to the color of Troi's uniform in that pic.

Il give you that the Blu-Ray colors may have been a bit over adjusted, but even in the first pic you posted the shirt was clearly red, which this figure just isn't.

I wonder if QMXs supposed three to four month wait for a fix means a new head & uniform top. I just don't see a point unless they replace whats dying the figure in the first place.

Just made my final payment on Jean-Luc. To me, there's more right with it than wrong. The padding fix shown above seems to do the trick without faffing about with a new body. If there's an official fix down the road, I'm sure Aaron at planet action figures will see me right, his customer service is second to none. Roll on the second UK shipment which should be either this week or next.

I got a reply back from QMX and they stated they would have a solution to the problem in two weeks. I wrote them back and asked for a replacement head and got no reply back. I feel at this point they are hoping it blows over and people forget about out the stains.

I feel at this point they are hoping it blows over and people forget about out the stains.

This is the company that made a whole new run of heads for their Mal Reynolds figure when the first version wasn't up to snuff. I think you're selling them incredibly short.

It's very likely they have no replacement heads because they're all stained. So when you ask for a replacement, they have nothing to give you.

The most likely scenario is that right now, they are negotiating factory time to produce more heads. They will announce soon when replacement heads will be available, likely in a few months.

This is the company that made a whole new run of heads for their Mal Reynolds figure when the first version wasn't up to snuff. I think you're selling them incredibly short.

It's very likely they have no replacement heads because they're all stained. So when you ask for a replacement, they have nothing to give you.

The most likely scenario is that right now, they are negotiating factory time to produce more heads. They will announce soon when replacement heads will be available, likely in a few months.

So this is strike two for QMX. Sounds like this company is accustomed to quality control issues from your previous post......not good. I hope replacement heads are in production or will be as you are assuming.

So this is strike two for QMX. Sounds like this company is accustomed to quality control issues from your previous post......not good. I hope replacement heads are in production or will be as you are assuming.

Actually no, still strike one. The Mal Reynolds head was rejected by them prior to release. It caused shipping delays but was not a fix sent out after people already bought it and complained. They even included the original head in the Mal boxes so that people could have the old and new head. Sounds like a company that wanted it done right before release and delayed shipping instead of pushing it out to meet dates.

Two issues with two figures hardly means a company is accustomed to quality control issues. QMX produce a varied range of quality collectibles of which the 1/6th line is quite new. Even Hot Toys have issues & they have produced 100s of figures.

Actually no, still strike one. The Mal Reynolds head was rejected by them prior to release. It caused shipping delays but was not a fix sent out after people already bought it and complained. They even included the original head in the Mal boxes so that people could have the old and new head. Sounds like a company that wanted it done right before release and delayed shipping instead of pushing it out to meet dates.

Well who was asleep at the wheel this time?? Shouldn't the stains have been caught early on...... perhaps before mass production. It is also apparent that the so called protective plastic around the neck was put on after the fact.

Well who was asleep at the wheel this time?? Shouldn't the stains have been caught early on...... perhaps before mass production. It is also apparent that the so called protective plastic around the neck was put on after the fact.

Even if what you say is true, I find you're hitting hard on a company who's just started producing 1/6 and who is actually addressing the problem.

... In the meantime, HT gets way with leaky rubber, braking rubber, peeling pleather... And everybody claps their hand and buy their **** even though they don't even address those issues, not even to answer costumers questions.

Back