QMx 1:6 Q &A - We want your questions!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the Q&A did get me excited about the possibility of new supernatural figures, however unlikely

For some fans, it seems that giving them more information just gives them more to complain about.

As with Hot Toys, Sideshow and every other 1:6 company - we will share when we have something definite. Of all collectibles/toys - 1:6 are the most complex and time consuming to develop and to produce - so timelines change, markets change and shifting realities impact plans dramatically. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised from what you see from QMx in the near future. There are things not even on your radar yet from us that we hope to bring forward soon.

Genuinely gutted about the cancellation of Raylan. Was really looking forward to that one. I'd love more Justified merchandise, in any form.

Yeah. He was the main reason I was following QMX at all. Shame he went the way of The Lone Ranger.

One of these days, a gunslinger in a white hat will make the cut.

SnakeDoc

For some fans, it seems that giving them more information just gives them more to complain about.

As with Hot Toys, Sideshow and every other 1:6 company - we will share when we have something definite. Of all collectibles/toys - 1:6 are the most complex and time consuming to develop and to produce - so timelines change, markets change and shifting realities impact plans dramatically. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised from what you see from QMx in the near future. There are things not even on your radar yet from us that we hope to bring forward soon.

So true. I tried sharing some info you told my brother and I at SDCC and I had to go back and read what I wrote twice as what I passed on was totally being taken out of context. As I was sharing the hope and plans to finish the TOS and then move on to TNG, somehow they read the line was good as dead, both TOS & TNG. I clarified and said that’s not true. They (QMx) realizes they need to finish the bridge crew but need to get Kirk and Spock back in the market to do so but that wasn’t good enough. To them, I said the sky was falling and QMx “killed de lein” :ohbfrank:

Ha ha, yeah, damned if you do and damned if you don't. But if you brought them all out tomorrow, they'd complain because they couldn't afford them all at once. It's hard to manage people's expectation.

Of course some of us are going to complain. We don't know if/when we're going to get a lot of figures that have been teased or on display at conventions for years. Just concerning the Firefly license, Qmx debuted Mal at the Dallas Comic Con in May 2014. A year and a half later he went up for order. Three years after that we're still waiting for Jayne even though he had been displayed at SDCC for a couple years. It's the end of 2018 and there are no immediate plans for getting out another Firefly figure because they're being put at the back of the queue.

I'm a big fan of Qmx's licenses. I visit the Qmx booth at SDCC every year and love seeing what's on display. What's frustrating is seeing the same figures on display year after year but no preorder. I understand that there are growing pains for a company getting into 1/6 like Mal's head sculpt or the staining on Picard, but it feels like the company is biting off more than it can chew. I'd like to see Qmx commit to finishing the lines they start. If you start a line like Firefly or Star Trek, then you can't be surprised that fans expect to see the main crew on their shelves and are frustrated when they don't get them. Instead, Qmx has dipped their toes in the 1/6 pool and left fans hanging for months (or years) with little to no information available but still teasing them at SDCC.

Comments like "There are things not even on your radar yet from us that we hope to bring forward soon." make me feel excited for what's planned because I love seeing new collectibles, but it also makes me disappointed because now I know that 1) some figures I want may be delayed or pushed to the side for the new stuff and 2) the new stuff may not even get made. What it all comes down to is that when it comes to 1/6 figures, I'm essentially being told to put the company out of my head until a preorder suddenly pops up on the website. :dunno

Yeah, I'm kindof of the opinion "Don't show us anything until you plan to release it." Or at least have it up for pre-order within a year or so. I know that ToyFair really isn't designed for us, it's designed for vendors, so maybe that's an exception; but for comic-con, definitely.

I excuse Nanjin from this because he shows projects he's working on, with no guarantee they'll ever be released - he's just having fun. But when QMX puts them up for display, to me, that means they should be coming, pretty much guaranteed, and relatively soon.

That said, we've learned now that that's not the case. It's just frustrating seeing high-quality figures you can't have (I'm especially thinking of Riker - what a great likeness!).

I totally don't mind if a company shows a proto that they aren't necessarily planning to make ... as long as they're 100% up front and clear that that's what they're showing. Otherwise, it's just kind of mean.

A couple of years ago Sideshow exhibited a very nice 1986 Deckard Blade Runner figure at a Con and it got people all worked up. But it turned out they were just trying to woo Warner Bros. and didn't actually have the license. It went nowhere. Hopes were raised and dashed.

If a company wants to woo a license holder or to gauge collector interest by showing a figure, they should let us in on the plan. Let us help! Keep us in the loop and if it gets us excited we'll totally go to bat for you! We're collectors! As a group, we're more than a little used to begging for stuff online!

Back