Punk Spike rocks in!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They are doll pants anyway. I don't really see any difference in the reference pics and the figure.

Mine just arrived yesterday. I may have to buy another cheap Spike or Vampire Spike figure and use the coat. He got it from the Slayer anyway didn't he?

Firefly Flanatic said:
In regards to Spike's pants being too tight - if they are truly made out of denim I'm sure they can be stretched out a bit because denim stretches. That's what I was planning on trying to do with them.

They look like denim effect fabric to me. Also you shouldn't be having to do that, They just needed to have been cut a little fuller on the dolls body then they would have been far more accurate insted of the 'look who's had a wedgie' look he's sporting now. :rolleyes:

Darklord Dave said:
They are doll pants anyway. I don't really see any difference in the reference pics and the figure.

Oh dear lord I do.

I don't want to sound so negative, but I believe in trying to get Sideshows figures to be as accurate as they can be. Looking at the Buffy range some of them (for a mass produced doll) are wonderful, and yet others are wide off the mark.

Some of these figures (in my humble opinion) could have been improved so much if Sideshow has studied the photographic reference of the character a little more before commiting to the final product. 'Subway Spike' is one such example.

Last edited:
Fritz said:
Mine just arrived yesterday. I may have to buy another cheap Spike or Vampire Spike figure and use the coat. He got it from the Slayer anyway didn't he?

Yup. This is the episode where we see him defeat one slayer and get his trademark coat. I was surprised they didn't offer the coat with the exclusive. I guess since they have already done figs with it it wouldn't have been terribly exclusive.
And yeah, human Spikes have been going on ebay for crazy $ lately.

The leather jacket Spike wore in the first scene in "Lies My Parents Told Me" would have a very nice exclusive.

trkhn.jpg

Just went back and rewatched the whole scene on my PC where I can look at it frame by frame. The pants are very accurate as is the shirt. Throughout most of the fight scene, Spike's pant's are tight in the crotch area and butt area and slim in the legs - by the end of the fight, that one scene where he goes to pull the stop thing on the train is where the pants look baggy - after having had a long drawn out fight where it would make sense that they have now stretched, especially where the last thing he does before doing that is straddling Nicky on the floor which would stretch them - but they weren't like that when he arrived and they weren't like that through out most of the fight. His shirt is black mostly through except near the end where some color shows up - which could be from when he broke the pipe and grabbed that. So, I think Sideshow did an excellent job of getting their reference material right. I literally went through this whole scene clicking one frame at a time. Here's a few screenshots that I grabbed but there were some even better shots of the pants looking tighter at the beginning of the fight that I wasn't able to get a good grab with.

43582367_ccc0c284fe_o.jpg

43582366_115c6cafb7_o.jpg

43582368_f19aa7a322_o.jpg

43585495_ef77b09d31_o.jpg

Last edited:
spike's shirt

I think Spike's shirt originally had the union jack on it but it was faded out to give it that punky sort of feel to it. that would explain the red and blue colors on it. I remember a guy selling a spike replica punk outift on eBay some time ago. the seller's pictures seemed to confirm it although I haven't seen those same stills lately. james, formely seekebh :stake

I got mine today. It's better then I thought it would be. His hands and head don't match the complexion on his arms but it's not too bad looking. Dave's pictures makes it look more pronounced then it really is in person. The clothes pins could've been done in a better way but they look decent enough. I would've preferred them as actual metal pins that I would have to assemble on the figure but that could be too much for some collectors.
The larger belt he has is very well done and delicate, it would be easy to damage if you get careless.
The padlock necklace does have a tendency to get stuck in the neck joint, watch out for that.
and the Boom box turned out much better then the prototype but it still has some flaws seen on the prototype. Much of the lines on it are not perfectly square, with a slight waviness throughout. But from a distance, it isn't that noticeable. It's also made of aluminum which is cool!

Sorry Firefly Flanatic I still stand by my earlier comment on the jeans. They do look very strange on that doll around the crutch.

Also there are spashes of red and light blue paint on his shirt. Very difficult to spot on a TV screen I know, but they are there none the less.

Here's a photo of that fan copy that was sold on eBay a while back. It gives you a clearer idea of the sort of thing that I'm talking about.

dpbccn

dpb7ec

Thanks for that pic - that ought to be a pretty easy custom. Upon looking at him more I think the eye liner needs to be heavier on the figure too.

Sueworld, I just don't see the big deal with the pants, just pull them down a bit so they aren't up so high. But, everyone is going to see things differently and something that you might think looks good I might not. Just wanted to make one more comment on the shirt. If Sideshow was researching like I just did by watching that scene it would be very easy for them to miss the color splotches on the shirt. I'd say like 90-95% of that scene you could only see black and they'd be looking at it on a television screen just like the rest of us. And that's to say they were given the full scene. And there were some pretty good close-ups of the front of Spike where all you could see was black. So I think it is very possible that they researched pretty thoroughly and missed the colors because for most of the scene they just didn't show up.

Now, I will say that when I first saw the prototype picture of this over on Sideshow it looks like they used a burlap type material whereas it looks like a cut up t-shirt in the episode. I can't tell by Dave's pictures what kind of material it is and think a cotton t-shirt material would be a better choice for accuracy. When I look at the new Sideshow update pictures it looks like it could be the t-shirt material. So D. Dave could you possibly give some insight on that? I had saved the old picture and it was a burlap type material before.

Also, I think the color splatches would be a really easy fix. Just buy some colored chalk.

Thanks Dave - Here's the original (please keep in mind that the photo hosting service I use doesn't upload it in the full size it is on my pc and the shirt is also darker so you can't see the material as clearly).

43671347_a1966b0436_o.jpg

You're probably right! Glad to hear it's the t-shirt material. Here's a link to some more photos - this girl takes some great pictures! She's taken one of him in Spike's coat. The pictures are near the bottom of the page:
More Spike Photos

Last edited:
Back