Punisher, what to read?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd say start with anything but MAX - purely because if you read MAX you won't be able to read any other Punisher without being disappointed lol

LOL, thanks for everyone's input, so the MAX series is all seperate books or is there a compilation?

All separate books. Regarding Garth Ennis' run, there are ten paperbacks or five hardcovers - the hardcovers each collect two of the paperback volumes, if that makes sense.

In other words, the material contained in paperback volumes 1 and 2 both make up hardcover volume 1, paperback volumes 3 and 4 make up hardcover volume 2 and so on. :lecture

All separate books. Regarding Garth Ennis' run, there are ten paperbacks or five hardcovers - the hardcovers each collect two of the paperback volumes, if that makes sense.

In other words, the material contained in paperback volumes 1 and 2 both make up hardcover volume 1, paperback volumes 3 and 4 make up hardcover volume 2 and so on. :lecture

Got you - I see they run up to the 60s? Are only Ennis' worth reading?

The original Punisher mini (Circle of Blood) is also good stuff if you want to check out some older stories

!B58kGZwEWk~$(KGrHqMOKkMEyN4dblroBMvkb!7Ggw~~_12.JPG

It really is a matter of preference. I like a lot of older Punisher stuff, but I used to be more a fan of the character than his books.

If you're referring to "only Ennis's" MAX books being worth reading, as opposed to the MAX collections that came after his, I definitely suggest those as well. They're a different style, but still in the same vein and the same tone as Ennis' MAX run. But Girls In White Dresses and onwards are all good collections.

:lecture

These are all HC's but you can get tpb versions if you want

Ennis starts his run on the Punisher with this story:

Welcome Back Frank
Ennis ditches all the magical crap and get the regular Punisher back on track . . .
!BW2Qq2!Bmk~$(KGrHgoOKiQEjlLmZ!24BKZWkeeH)g~~_12.JPG

The story then continues in Punisher Marvel Knights Vol 2 & 3

!B+!u0y!BWk~$(KGrHqF,!k8Ey+jC1QYGBM-WRTUn-g~~_3.JPG

!B+!uUr!!Wk~$(KGrHqR,!ioEzNsiHq5cBM-WP8g+og~~_3.JPG

Then get his Punisher Max run . . . it is outstanding . . .

!BwvO5EQB2k~$(KGrHqIOKnUEvyFr)kjeBMK(n)bq)w~~_3.JPG
Garth Ennis is the man! And siren3-4 nailed it!

If you want to get clever and go chronological, check out the first story in the trade "Punisher First to Last", then "Punisher BORN" -- both by Ennis -- and then jump to Welcome Back Frank. It'll be like reading "Batman Year One" and then "The Dark Knight Returns" for the first time. Neither First to Last or Born are traditional Punisher stories but they feature pivotal moments earlier in Frank's life.

Garth Ennis is the man! And siren3-4 nailed it!

If you want to get clever and go chronological, check out the first story in the trade "Punisher First to Last", then "Punisher BORN" -- both by Ennis -- and then jump to Welcome Back Frank. It'll be like reading "Batman Year One" and then "The Dark Knight Returns" for the first time. Neither First to Last or Born are traditional Punisher stories but they feature pivotal moments earlier in Frank's life.

I'm glad you mentioned the Punisher Born series - that really kicked ass. Don't forget about the Punisher War Journal. The war journal entry format of that series really captures the essence of Frank taking his war to the streets.

Thanks again for all the excellent suggestions, I am going to pick up The following:

From First to Last
Welcome Back Frank
Return to Big Nothing
Circle of Blood

I also scored the MAX books 1 - 21 including Born on the Bay for a good deal. I am looking forward to starting these up.

Cheers, -KYG

Back