Punisher, what to read?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KillingYouGuy

Super Freak
Reaction score
Just looking for some quick suggestions from the serious fans, I wanted to get started reading Punisher books - where should I start? Thanks.

7333381_1.jpg

Forget about everything else.

You should probably start with the original mini-series from the mid-80s. Or maybe even his earlier appearances in Spiderman.

:goodpost: The original mini-series has been collected in a graphic novel entitled Circle of Blood and it's an excellent place to start.

The same team responsible for Circle of Blood also gave us the Return to Big Nothing graphic novel (as mentioned above by EVILFACE), which is also great and would be an ideal place to go next. :)

Start with the modern and save your bucks from buying the oldie? Punisher War Journal is good to me. Issue 13 is funny. Issue 7A n 7B got nice Olivetti cover. Then if you're rich get the Punisher Comiquette by Olivetti. Too bad I don't own the statue. Yea, I am not a serious fan but at least I read the comics :)

Dark & gritty set in the real world.

Punisher Max

PunisherMAX%201.jpg

Read the first 2 arcs & tell me you didn't like...
I dares ya!
Seriously I couldn't recommend it enough, I got the hardcovers & the single issues.
punisher_max_gore.jpg

Last edited:
as a Punisher fan for over 20 years now I also say go with the Max series it is what the character has always needed! Set in the real world, no super heroes or any of that , just dark gritty brutally violent crime stories.

I'd agree. I have 5 oversize hardcover Max editions and all were a great brutal read.

also if you can find it get the Max imprint mini series Born excellent read, as is From First to last collecting 3 one shots by Garth Ennis
Tyger explores Franks beginings as the Punisher and looks into his childhood. The Cell is the middle of his career where he is in Ryker's island prison and The End deals with yep you guess it Frank's last mission.

also if you can find it get the Max imprint mini series Born excellent read, as is From First to last collecting 3 one shots by Garth Ennis
Tyger explores Franks beginings as the Punisher and looks into his childhood. The Cell is the middle of his career where he is in Ryker's island prison and The End deals with yep you guess it Frank's last mission.

Got that too in hardcover along with the oversize ones! :yess:
My personal favorite is "Mother Russia". :lecture

Like 75 said, MAX is definitive Punisher. I respect the old stuff, and it was the first Punisher I ever knew, but it wasn't until MAX that the character met it's full potential imo. Also read Marvel Knights if you want the same kind of Frank, with a little more black comedy thrown in (in a good way).

Punisher MAX is the way to go. That's a great read. I would still pick up all of the Grant and Zeck Punisher issues as well. That's some good reading material for Punisher fans.

Got that too in hardcover along with the oversize ones! :yess:
My personal favorite is "Mother Russia". :lecture

My favorite Max arc is a tough call. Mother Russia would definitely be up there. Probably along with Valley Forge Valley Forge and The Slavers. But that whole run was incredible.

I'd agree. I have 5 oversize hardcover Max editions and all were a great brutal read.

Got exactly the same, some of the best graphic novels around, Garth Ennis' run on these was amazingly good.

Favourite would be a tie between 'the slavers' and 'up is down and black is white'

.... If you happen to pick these up (youre mad not to) then i'd suggest the "Punisher Max presents barracuda TPB", its a damn fun read.

Last edited:
Welcome back frank

:lecture

These are all HC's but you can get tpb versions if you want

Ennis starts his run on the Punisher with this story:

Welcome Back Frank
Ennis ditches all the magical crap and get the regular Punisher back on track . . .
!BW2Qq2!Bmk~$(KGrHgoOKiQEjlLmZ!24BKZWkeeH)g~~_12.JPG

The story then continues in Punisher Marvel Knights Vol 2 & 3

!B+!u0y!BWk~$(KGrHqF,!k8Ey+jC1QYGBM-WRTUn-g~~_3.JPG

!B+!uUr!!Wk~$(KGrHqR,!ioEzNsiHq5cBM-WP8g+og~~_3.JPG

Then get his Punisher Max run . . . it is outstanding . . .

!BwvO5EQB2k~$(KGrHqIOKnUEvyFr)kjeBMK(n)bq)w~~_3.JPG

Just keep in mind the MAX run has zip to do with the Marvel Knights stuff, the Marvel Knights run is mostly dark comedy complete with big boobed Transexual Russian Cyborgs.

Back