PT Changing How You View The OT

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That never bothered me. I always saw the younglingls as something other than non-combantants, but rather as being weaponized making them legal military targets. Either way, slaughtering them was perfectly in line with Vader's character. If Vader couldn't redeem himself after doing that, then there's no hope for any of us, I think is kinda the point.

I'm just saying, after seeing him killing kids (not to mention all but killling his wife), then chucking the Emperor down a shaft and saying "My bad" just makes that scene less satisfying for me.

It changed my view of the Jedi as well. I used to think of them like the Knights of the Round table. Noble, gallant, profanely heroic. In actuality, they were rigid and arrogant.

Agreed, I NEVER thought I could root against Yoda; but man I wanted to in Sith.

I think the number one issue I have is how small the Star Wars universe became.

That's always the danger with expanding any story. Making story decisions cut us off from the infinite possibilities that exist in the minds of every fan. Some fans take to the new dogma while others reject it in favor of their own imaginings.

ahh here we go, from wookipedia

In a deleted scene from the The Phantom Menace DVD release, a character named Greedo is seen fighting in the street with a young Anakin Skywalker. After the fight is broken up by Jedi Master Qui-Gon Jinn, Greedo is warned by a fellow Rodian that some day his actions will get him shot. The Expanded Universe has clarified after a retcon that this Rodian is in fact Greedo the Elder—the father of the Rodian seen in Chalmun's Cantina.
One of those cases where the EU becomes important. :D OT+PT+EU= SW All or nothing for me fellas :D

@TheObsoleteMan
I don't see it as an apology. He did it to save his son's life, KNOWING that it would kill himself to do it. and no matter what he's done previously, it's a noble, heroic act.

Yeah, that must have been Lucas' thinking too; really. :lol Star Wars revisionists.

I don't want to make this yet another OT vs. PT -- I will just say that the PT hasn't done much for my experience.

I did not say it was what Lucas intended, but your first point that you posted makes no sense because that actually works out.

Many of the things people are posting here about how watching the PT has changed thier view on OT was not intented by Lucas. However they still manage to fit and as fans we we like to keep the continutity of the story going.

Now if you wanted to pint out other things that did not make the transition to well form PT to PT, there were alot of things you could of brought. :)

I didn't care for the idea of Greedo being in it either, I'm just glad Lando's dad wasn't in it as was once rumored. Too much of that stuff wouldn't have been good. I didn't care for 3PO being built by Anakin, but I did like showing how much he and R2 has been through together.

And I agree that the PT has changed the way I look at Vader, it does bring alot more to the struggle within him and make him more of a tragic character. I think the thing that has the biggest change for me aside for that is a tiny part. When Obi-Wan is first seen on screen (I know we can all picture it without the description, but I really love this part now), he throws back his hood, looks at the screen and says, "Well, hello there." And I always felt it was like we were supposed to know who he is and that he is greeting an old friend. Not just R2, 3PO, and Luke, but us, the audience.

Now if you wanted to pint out other things that did not make the transition to well form PT to PT, there were alot of things you could of brought. :)

Sure, I would love a pint if you are offering. :drink

As for more examples, there are plenty; but that epic sketch on Robot Chicken came to mind. :lol :rotfl :lol

When Obi-Wan is first seen on screen (I know we can all picture it without the description, but I really love this part now), he throws back his hood, looks at the screen and says, "Well, hello there." And I always felt it was like we were supposed to know who he is and that he is greeting an old friend. Not just R2, 3PO, and Luke, but us, the audience.

I get that same feeling now watching that scene. It's no longer Obi-Wan's introduction, it's his long awaited return. Also, a lot of his dialogue has a deeper meaning now. When he says "I don't seem to recall ever owning a droid" or when he pauses before he explains who Darth Vader is to Luke, there's just a little more wieght to those moments because you now know just exactly what he's holding back.

When Obi-Wan is first seen on screen (I know we can all picture it without the description, but I really love this part now), he throws back his hood, looks at the screen and says, "Well, hello there." And I always felt it was like we were supposed to know who he is and that he is greeting an old friend. Not just R2, 3PO, and Luke, but us, the audience.

Ok i just cried a little.:monkey2

The only major thing that bothers me about the PT as a whole is that when it comes down to it vader went to the darkside for a chick.(it just irks me)Yes you can factor in some other reasons but when it comes down to it thats what it is.(i woulda rather he went for power alone than padme)I grew up with the OT,And seeing how vader went to the darkside killed me.I'll take JJ,and lame dull lines anyday over that.

Ok i just cried a little.:monkey2

The only major thing that bothers me about the PT as a whole is that when it comes down to it vader went to the darkside for a chick.(it just irks me)Yes you can factor in some other reasons but when it comes down to it thats what it is.I grew up with the OT,And seeing how vader went to the darkside killed me.I'll take JJ,and lame dull lines anyday over that.

It was about true love! The best kind! The FORBIDDEN kind! I always thought that his mother's death would be THE turning point. But whatever, it's GL"s story!

Back during the filming of ROTJ Lucas told Hammil that his black costume was "Jedi-like".

And they thought about going that way for the Jedi in EP 1. Sleek black uniform.

Certainly would have made more sense if they'd gone that way. I never thought Old Ben in ANH was still wearing his Jedi clothing... people would notice. Plus Uncle Owen wore almost the same thing. Yep, Old ben wore generic Tatooine farmer clothes.

I agree that many scenes in the OT have much more poignancy after the PT. Many have already been mentioned, my favorites are moments in ROTJ that parallel ROTS--Luke's "Mustafar Bunker" entrance into Jabba's palace, and Vader's decision to NOT stand by and watch Palpatine electrocute another screaming Jedi.

Something that I haven't seen mentioned is how cleverly Lucas orchestrated Uncle Owen to actually be...Luke's uncle. Watching ANH after ESB and ROTJ was a bit of a head scratcher in the old days as to just how Luke was related to Owen and Beru. It had the feel of something that George hadn't really thought through and that you really weren't supposed to question. Vader's brother? On a random desert planet that the droid's escape pod just happened to crash on? Who knew that he didn't want Luke to turn out like his father and who didn't want him to see Obi-Wan Kenobi? Okay George, if you say so. ;)

But after AOTC, it really works. Vader's Tatooine connection? Check. Owen's relation to Vader? Check. Why Vader wouldn't have strong feelings toward Owen? Check.

The last time one of Owen's relatives rushed off to help Obi-Wan Kenobi the galaxy was plunged into war and the Empire was formed. You can really see why he wouldn't be too happy about Luke following in his father's footsteps.

Back during the filming of ROTJ Lucas told Hammil that his black costume was "Jedi-like".

And they thought about going that way for the Jedi in EP 1. Sleek black uniform.

Certainly would have made more sense if they'd gone that way. I never thought Old Ben in ANH was still wearing his Jedi clothing... people would notice. Plus Uncle Owen wore almost the same thing. Yep, Old ben wore generic Tatooine farmer clothes.

I thought that mark said " it was vader like" and lucas said "it's supposed to be"

But anyways i agree about owen.

It was said in the 1983 ROTJ documentary.

Viewing his clothing as based on the Jedi uniform makes it a lot more interesting. For a long time it didn't hold any significance to me except for looking like something a Jedi would wear if they were into the Dark Side. but it's Luke!

The first three chapters have dramatically affected the way I see the last three chapters. Here are some of the points that really hit it home for me:

-Seeing Vader for the first time in ANH. Before it was seeing Vader, now its feeling bad for Anakin. Anakin, in the saga, is the victim and to see him in ANH is sad beyond words.

-"When I left you, I was but the learner. Now I am the master" The reference is far more clear. Now it reads to me like Vader is telling Obi-Wan that he won't make a stupid mistake and he has every intention of being the one to walk away from the battle.

-I used to think the conflict between Vader and Anakin began in TESB, but seeing how Vader spoke to Padme about overtaking Sidious in ROTS, it's clear to me now that Vader was all Sith in TESB. He acted selfishly and was telling the truth to Luke about taking him on as an apprentise and defeating Sidious.

-Now I call him Sidious, not the Emperor. The Emperor is Sidious' title.

-I still miss the "Get My Ship" line.

-When Luke talks to Leia about his father now, I wonder what Bail told her. Is it possible he gave the same line that Obi-Wan gave Luke that Vader killed her father... Killed her parents? What a better way to keep her from hanging out with the guy.

-It's so obvious that sidious is planning on replacing Vader with Luke when watching ROTJ.

-It really brings it home when Luke says "then my father is truly dead"

-I feel bad for Obi-Wan throughout the last three films.

-There is one hell of a parallel between Mace Windu being electrocuted and Anakin doing nothing about it and Vader seeing Luke get the same thing. That's so clearly the big turning point now. It seems like its the moment he sees how wrong he was.

-The last act of ROTJ is sooooooo powerful now.

_plus, now I don't think Leia knew Obi-Wan was a Jedi...

Last edited:
Back