PT Changing How You View The OT

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In a quick aside.. am I the only one to think Hollywood is crazy to NOT release classic movies back in the theater every now and then? I mean think how many people would head out for an early bird/matinee screening of Indy, Star Wars or for the older crowds Cassablanca or Gone with the Wind? I know I would go for about $5.

I always thought it would be awesome to have an old theater with the big marquee surrounded by neon lights that only has one theater with big thick red drapes over the screen etc (you get the picture I'm sure). And then to have certain types of movies at certain times. Like Friday and Saturday night an old classic romance movie, Saturday and Sunday afternoon some of the great adventure movies, Friday and Saturday night at Midnight after the romance a classic monster/horror movie.

Rebecca --which is one of my favourite films-- even though I rave about it all the time I've never got anyone to sit down to watch it... and that would be for free at home with beers. Most people won't go out and pay to see something that isn't new.

Sad, but true.

Rebecca, as in Alfred Hitchcock and Manderley and Mrs. Danvers? I've only gotten to see it once, but it is definitely one of the best movies I've ever seen.

Rebecca, as in Alfred Hitchcock and Manderley and Mrs. Danvers? I've only gotten to see it once, but it is definitely one of the best movies I've ever seen.

One in the same. As far as I know, it's the first film in history to have one of those major revelation moments that Shyamalan has made his bread and butter... and the best part of it is, the first time you watch Rebecca, you have no idea its coming and when it does come it throws the entire movie on its ear.

Brilliant.

But this is the sort of thing I've always been trying to get at in debates with others about the Prequels. If a person's film history revolves around loving Godfather, Scarface, and Independents Day, I don't consider their opinions on acting, storytelling, or special effects to be educated.

Proper historical knowledge of films will give someone the proper perspective. Of course it's just my opinion, but I'm comfortable in the fact that my opinion is based on film history and not in any way driven by the media (and as anyone who can objectively look at the effects of event mentality can see, the media has a very powerful influence on popular opinion whether the great unwashed masses knows it or not.)

Just FYI:

I threw my Masterpiece Anakin Robe on my second Quigon figure and, well, added him to my ROTJ Jedi Ghost display. (It looks awesome!) :eek:

Yay for OT revisionism! :woo

Just FYI:

I threw my Masterpiece Anakin Robe on my second Quigon figure and, well, added him to my ROTJ Jedi Ghost display. (It looks awesome!) :eek:

You know, I thought about that myself. That's pretty dang cool. Send a picture.

In a quick aside.. am I the only one to think Hollywood is crazy to NOT release classic movies back in the theater every now and then? I mean think how many people would head out for an early bird/matinee screening of Indy, Star Wars or for the older crowds Cassablanca or Gone with the Wind? I know I would go for about $5.

You're not alone. I've been arguing this for years.

Here is how I'd do it if I owned a theater and the movie companys went along.

I'd own a regular theater and depending on the size of the theater, I'd have 1 or 2 screens dedicated to presenting the marquee classic that is being rereleased for DVD the following week. The studio would provide an advance copy of the DVD and I'd simply project the digital (pref high def) picture. Included in the ticket would be a coupon for a few bucks off the DVD.

The DVD rerelease advertisement can simply include a tag line of "in theaters for 1 week" on TV, magazine ads, etc. Therefore killing 2 birds with 1 ad spot.

Actually, that DOES happen. I think it depends on where you live (city vs rural).

I live in Atlanta, and I've seen Casablanca on the big screen 6 times. I've seen The Wizard of Oz, Adventures of Robin Hood, Lawrence of Arabia (in glorious 70mm), Raiders of the Lost Ark all on the big screen within the last 3 years. I had never seen Gone With The Wind, and I got to see it for its 60th anniversary on the big screen and I do mean big: the Fabulous Fox Theatre here in Atlanta seats 4678 people and I was sitting on the floor in an aisle in the balcony (talk about a packed house).

So, check around. Maybe your nearest city has these types of showings!

That's pretty awesome. I got to see GWTW when it was re-released in theaters too, but the others I don't know of coming back. Either Orlando doesn't go for that stuff or I'm out of the loop. :eek:

I only know of 1 in Denver that does and its only 1 showing per week. And typically its like a "Jaws" or "Goonies" type film.

That's pretty awesome. I got to see GWTW when it was re-released in theaters too, but the others I don't know of coming back. Either Orlando doesn't go for that stuff or I'm out of the loop. :eek:

I've seen a lot of these oldies in places like Atlanta, San Diego, Portland, Chicago... I bet an east coast Hollywood like Orlando must do it SOMEWHERE...

Actually, that DOES happen. I think it depends on where you live (city vs rural).

I live in Atlanta, and I've seen Casablanca on the big screen 6 times. I've seen The Wizard of Oz, Adventures of Robin Hood, Lawrence of Arabia (in glorious 70mm), Raiders of the Lost Ark all on the big screen within the last 3 years. I had never seen Gone With The Wind, and I got to see it for its 60th anniversary on the big screen and I do mean big: the Fabulous Fox Theatre here in Atlanta seats 4678 people and I was sitting on the floor in an aisle in the balcony (talk about a packed house).

So, check around. Maybe your nearest city has these types of showings!

Adam.. I kind of hate you for that :lol What an experience it must be. Sadly Im living right between two big cities at moment (Philly and NY) but end of next week Im back in the middle of PA without a big city around for at least about 3 or 4 hours.

Just FYI:

you know, I was thinking about that last night.. and I was like damn.. shoulda...

because for the prequels qui-gon was like obi-wan in the OT... for me atleast...

and I think lucas should have put his voice in the the sequels to guide either obi-wan or anakin..

you know, I was thinking about that last night.. and I was like damn.. shoulda...

because for the prequels qui-gon was like obi-wan in the OT... for me atleast...

and I think lucas should have put his voice in the the sequels to guide either obi-wan or anakin..

I think this might be the reason we never saw him in spirit form in ROTS... to explain why we didn't see him in ROTJ

I totally agree. The PT needed more Quigon voice over.

If Lucas does actually get around to shooting and restoring the Quigon Ghost scene in ROTS I hope he has him wearing OT Jedi robes. I think that would be a nice bridge between the PT___OT. (maybe not though. I just imagined someone else posting this and me posting my distaste for the idea :lol).

Or I could picture it being sort of like Luke's vision of Obi-Wan on Hoth where is hood is up and the cloak is drawn.

I totally agree. The PT needed more Quigon voice over.

If Lucas does actually get around to shooting and restoring the Quigon Ghost scene in ROTS I hope he has him wearing OT Jedi robes. I think that would be a nice bridge between the PT___OT. (maybe not though. I just imagined someone else posting this and me posting my distaste for the idea :lol).

Or I could picture it being sort of like Luke's vision of Obi-Wan on Hoth where is hood is up and the cloak is drawn.

I think that the ghosts appearing is meant to be how the viewer interprets them, so Yoda might see Obi-Wan as he last saw him, and not the old dude Luke sees. I do think its weird that Anakin's ghost is wearing the OT robe though.

I think this might be the reason we never saw him in spirit form in ROTS... to explain why we didn't see him in ROTJ

I remember thinking how ludicrous an idea it was to include Quigon in ROTJ until I saw someone edit the scene to make him appear AFTER Luke turns away to join the party and it flowed really nicely (I especially liked the "iris out" on the ghosts instead of on Luke et al.)

I am sure that gave a few freaks a heart attack. :horror

I think that the ghosts appearing is meant to be how the viewer interprets them, so Yoda might see Obi-Wan as he last saw him, and not the old dude Luke sees. I do think its weird that Anakin's ghost is wearing the OT robe though.

Yup. In an alternate universe where someone else posted my idea, this was my exact response to it. :lol

Back