PS4 in the works

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I didn't even think what the price might be. I remember when the $600 price tag was announced for the PS3...

Yeah... there's no way I'd spend $600 for a system. Hopefully, Sony learned from that mistake, because PS3 sales were quite poor initially. I bought my PS3 when the price drop hit in November 2007. It was around that same time that Sony's marketing campaign went into full force, and they released this awesome commercial:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAtwp5HmkXo"]YouTube - ‪PLAYSTATION 3 "Universe of Entertainment" ad‬‏[/ame]

cant be assed finding a NGP( a.k.a PSP2) topic but did you guys hear there dropping the specs on it!?
https://www.computerandvideogames.com/303338/news/ngp-specs-downgraded-out-in-japan-this-year-report/
something like halfing the RAM and such, just to compete with the 3ds. NGP was a 1st day buy for me till i heard that. sadface

This isn't such a big deal. Sony obviously wants to keep their system at a competitive price with the 3DS, so most logical choice would be to downgrade the specs. In other words, they learned from their mistakes with the PSP. What's the use of putting out a very powerful and expensive hand-held in the market, if it's not going to sell very well in the end?

History has shown time and time again, that going up against a Nintendo hand-held is no easy task. In fact... that's an understatement. Just look at the current generation. I mean, who the heck even buys a PSP, except to play the Metal Gear Solid and God of War games? :dunno

With all of that said, I won't even bother getting an NGP.. unless a Metal Gear Solid game gets released for it!

Well considering that Sony never actually confirmed that the NGP would have 512mb RAM, it wouldn't surprise me if (and I say IF, because all of this is still a rumor) the final product had 256mb.

The much touted praise of "NGP is as powerful as PS3" isn't so believable anymore if this is true, but it's still comparable. Realistically, 256mb will do just fine for games, but for heavier OS functions and multi-tasking that's where the cut would hurt.

Reading this just makes me wonder. When we all have PS4's will we be hoping that it survives without crapping out? Seems to be a problem that plagues these later consoles.

I've had my PS3 for 4 years now. Generally I think Sony hardware is more reliable than Microsoft's. Then again, PS2s were prone to breaking down.

In fairness to them, I have the Mgs4 bundle version and have had no issues, and pretty much use it every day. Or close to it.

Out of the 5 of us from work, I am the only one that has not had his/her serviced

I just hope they release different versions of the NGP although the different RAM specs will most likley be comon throughout all versions as i would belive it would affect the games.

In fairness to them, I have the Mgs4 bundle version and have had no issues, and pretty much use it every day. Or close to it.

Out of the 5 of us from work, I am the only one that has not had his/her serviced

ive never had any probles with anything Sony, of the people i do know who have had problems its simply because they dont take care of their stuff.

MY 40gb has been running strong since april 08. Got the 320gb slim bout 4 months ago. Got zero problems so far. I spend about 90 mins for games on average at a time tho quite rarely it can go up to four hrs.

Yeah... there's no way I'd spend $600 for a system. Hopefully, Sony learned from that mistake, because PS3 sales were quite poor initially. I bought my PS3 when the price drop hit in November 2007. It was around that same time that Sony's marketing campaign went into full force, and they released this awesome commercial:

YouTube - ‪PLAYSTATION 3 "Universe of Entertainment" ad‬‏

I waited until the price drop, and the announcement that all newly built PS3's were no longer going to be backwards compatible. Then I went to 3 different Gamestops looking for a NIB 60gb PS3.

Honestly, I could easily continue to enjoy both my 360 and PS3 for another 2-3 years before I'd be interested in getting a new console. And if the next generation of consoles ends up focusing heavily on motion control and 3D I might not even bother.

it will still be a long waite till the ps4 comes out. l don't have much faith in Sony these days. l will keep my 360 for a long time yet. even after the new ps4 and new Xbox come out l will keep my 360 and waite till those system have been on the market for a while and see what problems there are with them. because all the first batch of systems seem to be plagued with problems.

it will still be a long waite till the ps4 comes out. l don't have much faith in Sony these days. l will keep my 360 for a long time yet. even after the new ps4 and new Xbox come out l will keep my 360 and waite till those system have been on the market for a while and see what problems there are with them. because all the first batch of systems seem to be plagued with problems.

:lecture:goodpost::exactly: After the fiasco with the current generation of consoles, I will never buy a console at launch. Hell I didn't get my 360 till the end of 08 and my PS3 in late 09 and have no intention of abandoning either for a long while.

But also remember, with this generation, it was the first time that there were any launch issues with hardware.

Xbox issues are probably due to rushing to the market. PS3 hasn't had as much problems, but that's probably due to a rush as well along with trying to cut costs to balance out the expensive stuff like the Blu-Ray and Cell processor.

Since they've had more time for the next generation (and still, I wouldn't expect any new console announcements for Sony or Microsoft until 2012 at the earliest) I would expect that they will make sure there's no big issues like last time.

I remember hearing a bunch of reports of PS2's crapping out when they were first introduced.

I just will never be able to trust MS or Soney enough to purchase a launce console.

Honestly, I could easily continue to enjoy both my 360 and PS3 for another 2-3 years before I'd be interested in getting a new console. And if the next generation of consoles ends up focusing heavily on motion control and 3D I might not even bother.

I agree here. If they decide they want to focus on motion control as the sole selling point for the console I want no part of it. I'm getting tired of these gimmicks. While I like games on the Wii, I avoid moving around as much as I can. Not because I'm lazy but because they aren't as accurate as I'd like and I don't have the room to jump around my room trying to play Zelda. We don't live on the big E3 stage.

But also remember, with this generation, it was the first time that there were any launch issues with hardware.

Xbox issues are probably due to rushing to the market. PS3 hasn't had as much problems, but that's probably due to a rush as well along with trying to cut costs to balance out the expensive stuff like the Blu-Ray and Cell processor.

Since they've had more time for the next generation (and still, I wouldn't expect any new console announcements for Sony or Microsoft until 2012 at the earliest) I would expect that they will make sure there's no big issues like last time.

the main issue of the 360 is the design of it. the xbox was too small and compact and that left no breathing room for the inside electronics. the inside got way to hot because it was so compact. people in this generation don't whant the big fat consoles, they want the small sleek looking ones. but the designe it's self was the problem. the next one needs for more breathing room in the designe. this could of been done if the xbox wasn't slightyl concave. this designe was restricting to the inside electronics.

I remember hearing a bunch of reports of PS2's crapping out when they were first introduced.

I just will never be able to trust MS or Soney enough to purchase a launce console.

If I remember correctly... and this is only based on my memory, the launch PS2s weren't really crapping out. But, there were rampant problems, in which many of early PS2s had DVD drives that scratched game disks.

Last edited:
the main issue of the 360 is the design of it. the xbox was too small and compact and that left no breathing room for the inside electronics. the inside got way to hot because it was so compact. people in this generation don't whant the big fat consoles, they want the small sleek looking ones. but the designe it's self was the problem. the next one needs for more breathing room in the designe. this could of been done if the xbox wasn't slightyl concave. this designe was restricting to the inside electronics.

And since they proved with the Xbox 360 slim, with more work they were able to create a more reliable and smaller version

My PS3 is just a bluray player anyway. No need for a PS4.....Especially ay launch.

Well it doesnt help that people cram them them into small areas either.

My original one is still running strong but I also have plenty of ventilation around it.

Hell, PS1s had major problems when they first came out. Anyone else remember when you had to flip over your PS1 to play games because they were overheating. Thems the days.

Back