PS3 Price Drop

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
4.) I do think the current promotions (499 with 5 to 6 free movies) will sell systems. If you intend to use your PS3 for Blu-Ray, it's a solid deal.

Only reason I would get a PS3 at this point, good for blu-ray and pretty much it.

In all honesty, I was ready to buy a PS3 before it came out but I convinced myself to wait until the bugs' been worked out. I still want to get one eventually but I'll wait a little longer and see if Sony is going to try anything else before spending $600.

i dont argue that sony will stick around for a while, but its foolish to deny that they made some big mistakes this round. im gonna grab a PS3 the end of the year, but i hope they manage to do better with the PS4 :lol

I didn't say that they gave a new 3 year warranty because I'm pretty sure that's common knowledge. I thought the fact that they announced the last 11 million 360's were in fact defective was not so much common knowledge.

It's great that they gave it a 3 year warranty, no doubt about that. But the fact is, these 360's have been failing FAR too much for FAR too long, and the problems still haven't really been fixed. Oh, they say the know what the problem is, but it's not good that they haven't really don't a hell of a lot yet other than increase the warranty and claim that it's totally gonna be fixed later this year, which it probably will.

I like what the 360 can do, don't get me wrong, but personally I think the machine is a poorly built piece of crap. Seriously, how can they have made this many and not have fixed it long ago? Ugg.... damn Microsoft and their endless pockets of loot.

im not calling you a liar, but its BS. im on my second 360 now with no problems yet. i've had a premium and now i traded it in for an elite and they both have worked flawlessly. the motherboard problem is a known issue and MS has a fix for and they have extended their manufacturers warranty to 3 years to cover it. if you gonna report the news, report all of it.

Put me in the "lucky SOB" column as well Wook. I bought my 360 launch night (sat on a Wal-Mart floor for 7 hours playing PSP waiting LOL), and have , *knock on wood*, never had a problem. Well, let me take that back. Right after all the stories about the defective problems surfaced, I went to turn it on and got some kind of error message. I nearly crapped myself. However, I calmed down and checked the system out. Turns out I had loosen the hard drive while moving it. Re-insert hard drive and, whammo, it was working flawlessly.

However, I have a few friends who have had to exchange/get their fixed, so I do believe some of the stories. I guess it all comes down to luck. Out of all my systems (owned ever major one since the NES, except 3D0 and Jaguar), all of my systems have lasted for the length of the platform. Only thing that could be called a defect, was my PS1 started having trouble reading blue disc games. However, flipping it over on it's side fixed that. And that poor PS1 was the only one on my dorm hall for the first year ... it probably saw more use in that one year than most of them saw in a lifetime :D

PS3 Price Drop?? HA! In Australia, it still sells for about $1000AUD, or at current US vs AUD rates = $870.ooUSD...Admittedly, it did only get released here in March, so maybe around Christmas, we might see a drop...(or JUST after..:rolleyes:)..

A couple of things to remember about all this:

1.) The 60 gig version is in abundance in Sony's warehouses. Back in April, they shut down an entire plant that was manufacturing the model due to a backup in the inventory pipeline (i.e. they were making way more than they could sell). The best industry guesses put Sony with over 900,000 systems to sell (and that could easily be a low number). Sony has been averaging 30,000 systems a month sales in the U.S. That number "doubled" according to the asshat CEO after the anounced "price drop" - ) :monkey1 While I doubt that number of sales stays at that doubled spec for each month from now on, lets assume it does. 900,000 divided by 60,000 = a 15 month supply of 499 systems.

Okay, I can admit when I am wrong. Sony is selling 20-30 thousand PS3s a week, not a month. So, the real estimate would be 30 x 4 = 120,000. 900,000 divided by 120,000 = around 8 months. Not as long as my original esitmate, but still enough to last til March of next year (when MGS4 comes out ... think there will be a rush on the 60gigs then LOL).

I didn't say that they gave a new 3 year warranty because I'm pretty sure that's common knowledge. I thought the fact that they announced the last 11 million 360's were in fact defective was not so much common knowledge.

Sorry, but you are wrong. MS has NEVER released a defect percentage number. They have kept that data internal and, lets be honest, they will continue to do so to avoid embarrassment. All industry people have done is take the estimated cost to their yearly profits and conjectured -

"Microsoft is also taking a 1.05-1.15 billion dollar charge to earnings.
Think about that for a moment. Essentially, Microsoft is reserving $100 for every console that's been sold since the system launched. I know--that's for future warranty extension as well--but it seems reasonable that Microsoft wouldn't be doing this unless they'd solved the problem. So the vast majority of the $1B charge is for existing consoles.

So that's 11 million consoles at $100 per=$1.1 billion." From Dubious Quality:
https://dubiousquality.blogspot.com

So, there haven't been 11 million defective consoles. Hell, if there had, Microsoft's console division would be out of business. They are just reserving an extra 100 dollars per console - which covers the cost of extending that warranty. Does that mean everyone of those consoles will become defective? No. But MS is playing it smart for once. It would make them look even worse if they underestimated and then had to readjust later. MS might be a greedy corporation, but they did the smart thing with the warranty extension. Give them credit for at least fixing the hold they dug themselves.

i didnt mean to step on any toes, but i just find it hard to believe that all these systems are defective. i think many of the systems that are being returned under warranty are being returned because of the users failing to properly take care of the hardware and lack of effort. many people just put the system in the entertainment system where it has terrible ventilation and WILL overheat eventually. people are very lazy and as soon as the system starts to hiccup they don't even try to properly troubleshoot their system. i know because my neighbor has had several 360s sent back for repair and i've seen the way they fix stuff.

~~and out of the many years i've been playing video games the only system i've ever had to replace due to hardware failure was my PS2. and it was because of that pesky disc read failure... it got me for 2 systems.

the 360 was built like **** it's about time MS ups the warranty.The new 65nm chip is coming out this fall so thats supposed to stop overheating etc.(red rings of death)and thats when i'm going to get one.

i didnt mean to step on any toes, but i just find it hard to believe that all these systems are defective. i think many of the systems that are being returned under warranty are being returned because of the users failing to properly take care of the hardware and lack of effort. many people just put the system in the entertainment system where it has terrible ventilation and WILL overheat eventually. people are very lazy and as soon as the system starts to hiccup they don't even try to properly troubleshoot their system. i know because my neighbor has had several 360s sent back for repair and i've seen the way they fix stuff.

I have to agree with that. All of my systems all the way back to my Atari 2600 (which I still have) have worked fine and never broken down. I have seen the way a lot of people treat their DVD's so I imagine they treat their systems like garbage as well. I am sure there are a lot of "real" problems but I am also sure there are just as many "user" caused problems too.

I read on the G4 news crawl that it's 30% failure rate among the 360 that have to be returned. It's not that they're all defective, but if you know two people who have them in working order and you have one... well, odds are that one of them will crap out.

It also said that it wasn't one specific failure but a spectrum of things that could go wrong.

Yeah, most problems with systems these days are mostly people who don't take care of the system. I hate it when people complain about their system screwing up on them, and then you see that the system was in a place that it couldn't get vented, or they got 30 pounds of crap sitting on top of the thing.

PS3 has a lot to do if they want to stay around. But 360 is doing fine. The Elite is less than the least expensive PS3. And there will most likely be a price cut before the year is out, with that expecting to put down the Core system price to $250 (hello Wii), the Premium down like $60 (I can't be sure of that) and then the Elite down to like $400. Which that puts it in more competition with the Wii. Plus, as has been said they are going to update the GPU/CPU to a newer version that takes up less power and runs cooler which means more reliability. As far as the warranty goes, it's 1 year for all consoles. If you get the red ring of death (the three red lights on the front) from system failure (and specifically that problem) then your warranty is extended to three years from the original purchase date. Not a bad deal at all. And to me tit's got better games than the Wii and the PS3, although with the Wii for $250 it would probably be worth it just for Smash Bros. and the new Mario Cart.

Yeah, I think PS3 is going to be going down unless Sony does something really big.

https://uk.gamespot.com/news/6173633.html?tag=result;title;2

Peter Moore himself apologized for this whole mess. The 3-year warranty is pbviously an admitance on MS's part that something is not right fundamentally with it's hardware. I also have owned pretty much every system from the Atari up to the latest three - I NEVER had a problem with ANY, have always treated my consoles like my babies and yet, yes, my 360 died on me earlier this year. To MS's credit they repaired and returned the machine in less than a week, but to dismiss the reports or assume those that have problems are somehow abusing their 360's is just plain dumb and border's on fanboyism IMO.

The 360 has some great games, but the console feels rushed to me. I can't wait for games like BioShock and Halo 3 to hit the stores, but somewhere in the back of my mind everytime I switch the damn thing on I'm expecting the 3-rings of death. Not good.

As far as the PS3 games go, Heavenly Sword, Uncharted, and the new Ratchet and Clank games will no doubt keep me going (when released :)) until MGS4 finally arrives.

But hey, for me the one I truly want is Super Mario Galaxy, so what do I care? :D

Back