PS3 Price Drop

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There might be a problem with the PS3 price drop.

It looks like they may be having the 60GB version at $500 until it sells out at which time the only available version will be the $600 80GB version (at least for the US)

Just read this as well. Sony continues to shoot themselves in the foot. I have no doubt that they will be dead last in this generation of consoles. Every time they seem to make a good PR move, though go and F it up.

I heard it was just a rumor at this point sony hasn't said anything official yet.Sounds too retarded to be true.(cause if it was/is they're ****in stupid)

"We won't be making any further announcements regarding our PS3 model hardware strategy in North America until the 60GB model is exhausted and market conditions are evaluated," the Sony representative concluded.

I think that they will review it after the 60 GB ones are all sold and then realize they need to keep them.

I saw a report on Gamespot.com that some exec. said in a tv interview that the 60GB PS3 was no longer in production and only the 80GB will be made in the future. The price drop is to sell the units already shipped and the one's that will be shipping in the coming weeks. It seemed pretty cut and dry that this was a price drop and the 80GB would be the only one made from now on.

Just read this as well. Sony continues to shoot themselves in the foot. I have no doubt that they will be dead last in this generation of consoles. Every time they seem to make a good PR move, though go and F it up.

I had a PSX and have a PS2 but I am seriously considering getting a 360 now... I think Sony may have just about lost it.

if sony isnt careful with these terrible strategic moves the playstation console will be a thing of the past like the dreamcast.

I doubt it. It's still SONY. Besides people want it for the Blu-Ray player alone.

The Dreamcast was a great gaming console. Alot of great games on that system. Its just that gamers didn't flock to it the way they did the SONY PSONE and the Nintendo N64.

Yep, looks like it's true. Well so much for a PS3. I was thinking about getting one at a later date. But since it'll be too expensive at that time I guess I'll end up being able to get a lower-priced Blu-Ray player.

Yeah, excepting Blazing Saddles (and I wouldn't even keep that) they're all titles that I would sell/trade in without even opening. Still 6 times X dollars and a free remote, no tax, little to no shipping...

No tax.....unless you live in Washington. :monkey4:monkey4:monkey2:monkey2

Gamecrazy
Used 20GB - $339.99
Used 60GB - $439.99

Gamestop
Used 20GB - $369.99
Used 60GB - $449.99

If you can find a 20GB, and don't mind it being slightly used...those prices for a PS3 are pretty damn good.

I was talking to a guy at the official Sony store and he said the new 80 gig will cost 600 and come with a driving game.

The thing about the price drop and the replacement is that the big three have all said they want to change the industry so that they can offer new, improved system models to sell every 9 months or so.

So Sony drops the 60 gig to the lower PS3 price to clear it out only to replace it with the newer model at the higher price. They'll probably repeat the process in 9 months time.

There might be a problem with the PS3 price drop.

It looks like they may be having the 60GB version at $500 until it sells out at which time the only available version will be the $600 80GB version (at least for the US)

yes sir this was reported on gamepro's website the other day. they keep the price until they clear out the current inventory of the 60gb version then just replace it with the 80gb version at the old price of $600. regardless of the deals you can get on amazon i'm not gonna buy one until there are GOOD games out for the system. so far i can get everything on my 360 and then some.

yes sir this was reported on gamepro's website the other day. they keep the price until they clear out the current inventory of the 60gb version then just replace it with the 80gb version at the old price of $600. regardless of the deals you can get on amazon i'm not gonna buy one until there are GOOD games out for the system. so far i can get everything on my 360 and then some.

won't the 360elite be cheaper & a 120gb hardrive?

I'm starting to think Sony is being run by brain-damaged sea bass. :lol

This just further cements my intention to pass over on the PS3 and go for a 360 or 360 Elite. I wonder what effect this ludicrous move will have on its future game library. Weren't third party developers demanding a price cut from Sony because they weren't happy with PS3 sales numbers? With this move, I think more people will avoid the system, and there's less of a chance that developers will recoup their costs by releasing games for the system.

On the upside, that may result in PS3 exclusive titles jumping ship to the 360. :D

won't the 360elite be cheaper & a 120gb hardrive?

The Elite is $480 and upgrades the 20 GB to a 120, and it has the HDMI port.

yes. it comes up to $515 or so after tax in florida. however, if you get the 60gb PS3 right now with the 5 free movies for about the same price thats a pretty good deal too.

You might not want to buy a 360 anytime soon as well, you know, since they announced that the last 11.5 million were defective and all.

Yeah, I heard about that. I probably won't be getting the 360 until September or so, at which time I'll ask for one that's fresh off the truck.

But does the defect extend to the Elite model as well since I'm going to try for that one?

A couple of things to remember about all this:

1.) The 60 gig version is in abundance in Sony's warehouses. Back in April, they shut down an entire plant that was manufacturing the model due to a backup in the inventory pipeline (i.e. they were making way more than they could sell). The best industry guesses put Sony with over 900,000 systems to sell (and that could easily be a low number). Sony has been averaging 30,000 systems a month sales in the U.S. That number "doubled" according to the asshat CEO after the anounced "price drop" - ) :monkey1 While I doubt that number of sales stays at that doubled spec for each month from now on, lets assume it does. 900,000 divided by 60,000 = a 15 month supply of 499 systems. In all honesty, I really think this was always intended as a price reduction to reduce stock. It's just that it would be supremely embarrassing to say "yeah, we got enough 60 gigs to last over a year, so we are stopping production to clean out our inventories." Of course, their official answer made them look bad as well, so they would have probably been better off telling the truth.

2.) I agree that the PS3 is not going to "win" this generation. However, lets be honest people, neither is the 360. Nintendo has already beaten them both. What do parents want the most when shopping for their children? Cheap, quality products and, lately, a means to encourage exercise in their children. Well, they get both with the Wii. 360 and PS3 can only sit back and fight over 2nd place. Well, unless you are a Sony/MS executive. Then you live in a fantasy world where you can say things such as "we are not competing with the Wii. It is a niche item, not a complete entertainment property like ours." Translation - we can't beat them, so we aren't going to let them play. Sorry idiot execs, it don't work like that :D

3.) Sony is not going to disappear any time soon. They did a smart thing by keeping the exclusive agreements for MGS4 and FF13. They also have a few other exclusive in the pipeline that look good. MGS4 WILL sell systems to the action crowd, while next year FF13 WILL sell systems to the RPG crowd. So, by next summer, I truly believe that the PS3 and 360 will be neck and neck. Doesn't mean that Sony can beat them for second, but it will be a whole lot closer than we ever imagined.

4.) I do think the current promotions (499 with 5 to 6 free movies) will sell systems. If you intend to use your PS3 for Blu-Ray, it's a solid deal.

You might not want to buy a 360 anytime soon as well, you know, since they announced that the last 11.5 million were defective and all.

Edit: For those who would call me a lier. this is the first arcticle I could find on it.

https://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19640605/site/newsweek/

im not calling you a liar, but its BS. im on my second 360 now with no problems yet. i've had a premium and now i traded it in for an elite and they both have worked flawlessly. the motherboard problem is a known issue and MS has a fix for and they have extended their manufacturers warranty to 3 years to cover it. if you gonna report the news, report all of it.

Back