Princess Leia, Bespin Luke reviewed together

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pumpkinhead Leia....

istockphoto_3153081_big_headed_business_woman.jpg

I am supprised that Micheal didn't knock Leia for the short dress and no hem around the collar. Luke's outfit is awesome. I am amazed that Sideshow was able to get an outfit on a 1/6th figure to fit this well. Also I am supprised that Micheal didn't mention anything about Luke's blaster bending upward (very evident in the last photo). Personally, I think Luke is a better figure than a two and a half star figure. I need to return both of my Luke blasters but I think he is a great figure otherwise. Leia, I am going to get, but I think I am going to wait for the time being since there is sooo much new product coming out in the near future. Great review even though I disagree with some of it. The only thing is now for me...do I use the Han Solo ANH figure head for my Bespin?

Brad

As to the gun, I think it's the angle. Mine doesn't actually bend upward.

As to Leia's head size, it's obviously too large even in the product photos on the box.

I don't think there's a wire in there. I'm not going to cut it open, but while it felt like it was TRYING to hold positions, it certainly didn't. Unless they are using a much, much thinner wire (to the point of not being able to hold a pose), then I think we're imagining it.

The collar looks great on mine, no problems. I did push the collar down on her neck a bit, but I think doing it in two pieces meant it was a much tighter, cleaner fit. Trying to make it part of the lower blouse would have made it difficult to fit as tight.

Luke's collar looks fine down, but awful up. That's why I left mine down.

Michael have you removed Luke's tank top? His jacket collar looks great on him once you get rid of the tank top.

I find the hood to be at least 50% too small to be functional and accurrate, and to me, the frayed edge near the collar portion of the dress and the separate piece collar and hood construction method was not their best effort in tailoring.
the hood is ok the head is 50% too big.:lol

I agree that the Leia figure's head is too big, but not nearly as much as everyone as saying. In the Leia thread there's a comparison pic with Carrie and the buns do make her head look huge.

I have to say that this is the first time that I've disagreed so much with MWC. I think Leia's outfit doesn't really capture the look from the film, although they did fix the shortness of the prototype.

I was also a little surprised the Michael didn't turn Luke's collar up for the review - it makes a huge difference in completing the look from the film. And I don't see any problems in the sculpt. I think this is the best Luke we've ever seen. I think Hamill may have an extremely uneven face.

As for Luke's arms - mine were stuck too but I was able to get them to bend after applying some pressure.

I did have similar problems with the holster, but I don't know what the solution is - dealing with leather and trying to make items in this scale is extremely difficult. I'd hate to see them go back to plastic for the belts.

I agree that the Leia figure's head is too big, but not nearly as much as everyone as saying. In the Leia thread there's a comparison pic with Carrie and the buns do make her head look huge.

I have to say that this is the first time that I've disagreed so much with MWC. I think Leia's outfit doesn't really capture the look from the film, although they did fix the shortness of the prototype.

I was also a little surprised the Michael didn't turn Luke's collar up for the review - it makes a huge difference in completing the look from the film. And I don't see any problems in the sculpt. I think this is the best Luke we've ever seen. I think Hamill may have an extremely uneven face.

As for Luke's arms - mine were stuck too but I was able to get them to bend after applying some pressure.

I did have similar problems with the holster, but I don't know what the solution is - dealing with leather and trying to make items in this scale is extremely difficult. I'd hate to see them go back to plastic for the belts.

I didn't put the collar up because it looks bad - just like it does on the shots on Sideshow's own page. When the collar comes up above his jawline, he looks silly. No, down doesn't match the film, but I'd prefer he looks good on the shelf.

And the solution for the holster is simple - make it so that a) the blaster fits and b) the connector on the tie down isn't as wide as the tie down itself. It has nothing to do with the material used.

I think this could have been their best Luke sculpt - but it missed the mark. Had he not had the other issues, the sculpt alone wouldn't have killed him, but I can tell you that when I open a figure and find not one but multiple problems that require the figure to be sent back, he's not going to get a good review.

I was also a little surprised the Michael didn't turn Luke's collar up for the review

I agree with Michael that it doesn't look good with the collar up while the tank is on underneath, but it does make a fair difference removing the tank.

And this might be the shot you were referring to.

3.jpg

Here's a shot showing Luke, collar up, without the tank.

5.jpg

I didn't agree with much of this review either, most of the comments posted on this board the last few weeks pretty much confirm that, especially re: Luke...

I have to agree with Dave here, I don't thing that Leia's head is the problem but the dress (unlike Dave, I still think the dress is too short). Unlike Dave though, I didn't have a problem with Luke's body. The joints on mine are pretty good. As for the holster, I fixed one of mine and the other one has to go back to Sideshow. I still think that Luke is a solid figure once all the issues are ironed out. I think if it wasn't for the gun and belt, Luke would be a homerun (I think he is a standout since Sideshow is going out of their way to fixed the problem with the Lukes).

Brad

I must have lucked out because the holster on my Luke fit the gun perfectly. No cutting or anything. Just a little pressure to get it to sit right and that's it. I have to say, I really disagree with Mr. Crawford this time too. I think if anything these two figures are even at about a 3 1/2 and I haven't even seen my Leia yet. As for the big heads, Im starting to suspect that maybe SS says "OK we need ANH Leia done in a 1/6 scale. Artists to work." They get the sculpts, then choose the body. I bet if you put ANH Leia on one of the larger female bodies her head would look much better.

I agree with Michael that it doesn't look good with the collar up while the tank is on underneath, but it does make a fair difference removing the tank.

And this might be the shot you were referring to.

3.jpg

Here's a shot showing Luke, collar up, without the tank.

5.jpg

Great pic maulfan:)

I agree with Micheal's review, and Leia' pic above shows how good she looks. If only her clothing material were more heavy/drappy and not lightweigt. I'll put Luke's headsculpt at No. 2, between first place jedi Luke and third place Yavin Luke. But I believe a re-paint would make the Bespin Luke's light years better :chew

Dave's on the mark here (although I think Leia's dress could be a tad longer still)...don't know if Mr. C was havin' a bad day, but I think the Luke figure is pretty darn good...other than the slightly loose right wrist joint, the bent pistol barrel (fixed w/hairdryer) and the mismatched boots, mine is fine. (I realize that looks like alot of exceptions but...I don't think it's that bad.
Leia...I'm not getting the complaints on the head...look at that comp shot Maulfan provides...it looks fine and features a beautiful sculpt...it's just that darned dress! It may be simple, but what we got is just a degree higher than a sack...not the simple, yet striking design featured in the film.
Wor-Gar (with alot of work) got it looking pretty good, but it's lack of quality is pretty shocking coming from Sideshow...and MC's high score for it was a little shocking too.

I would have to disagree about the collar, even with the t-shirt on, I think it looks miles better with the tunic collar up.

One more note about Leia's head size - they have a standard neck size that they have to work with and the head has to be designed to look okay with the neck. If the head were smaller, it could make her look like a body builder because of the proportion of head to neck.

One more note about Leia's head size - they have a standard neck size that they have to work with and the head has to be designed to look okay with the neck. If the head were smaller, it could make her look like a body builder because of the proportion of head to neck.

I disagree with the neck-head proportions. I think a large part of why people think the female heads come out huge is the face that the neck size doesn't match up well with the head. It's not a large ammount, but the head smaller or neck larger would balance out well. Having HT's Ripley for comparison, it has a much better neck-head ratio and feels a bit more natural. It gives good articulation, but the base body having the neck unlike the males hurts the look sometimes, at least with males the neck runs from the head and looks more natural.

I may be totally stupid, or my Bespin Luke may be different than everyone else's, but I didn't have a problem with the holster. Mine is magnetic. The ball isn't designed to go through the hole, bur rest atop it. Is mine different from other's???:confused: The only trouble I have is that every now and again the leather strap will attach itself to the metal part of the SS stand.
hmmm.:confused:

Thanks for the cool review though, I always enjoy reading your thoughts!

Back