Prime1 Giger Alien (Big Chap)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There was also another statue by a Japanese sculptor released a few years ago, also based on the Giger Museum piece, can't remember the name though. It was quite beautiful, I wonder how it holds up next to these new ones.

The Yoshihiko Sano sculpt for Roswell? There was a 1/3 bust and 1/5 full body statue.

Yeah, that's the one!
I remember it was quite beautiful, and somebody did an amazing repaint as well.

For now I have to be content with my Mafex action figure... :wink1:

There's a French saying, 'vive la diff?rence' which essentially translates to 'long live the difference', which ultimately means to celebrate the differences, whether it be in people, things, opinions, styles, and in this case, an artists take on the Alien. Some people prefer exacting attention to detail, and want the museum piece, which is painted in mostly black. Others prefer a more stylized approach, with artistic license taken when it comes to shading, stripes, mottling, etc. If every company did the same thing and only painted the Alien in black such as the Coolprops version, everyone would complain that all the companies are putting out the same product. Prime 1's direction gives people an alternative to the 'by the book' Coolprops version, just as Mamegyori also offers an alternative in the way they faithfully replicated the "man in the suit". Cinemaquette did theirs, Sideshow did the 'nosferatu-pose' Big Chap and I think each one has their merits, even though they may not strictly reflect what was seen in the movies. Taken to the extreme, we have Sideshow's Mythos Alien Warrior, which some will like, while others will decry as being nothing like the original (which is the point, in this case). TL;DR, for Alien fans, we're lucky we have so many different companies putting out different products which are sure to please someone. Variety is a good thing!

There's a French saying, 'vive la diff?rence' which essentially translates to 'long live the difference', which ultimately means to celebrate the differences, whether it be in people, things, opinions, styles, and in this case, an artists take on the Alien. Some people prefer exacting attention to detail, and want the museum piece, which is painted in mostly black. Others prefer a more stylized approach, with artistic license taken when it comes to shading, stripes, mottling, etc. If every company did the same thing and only painted the Alien in black such as the Coolprops version, everyone would complain that all the companies are putting out the same product. Prime 1's direction gives people an alternative to the 'by the book' Coolprops version, just as Mamegyori also offers an alternative in the way they faithfully replicated the "man in the suit". Cinemaquette did theirs, Sideshow did the 'nosferatu-pose' Big Chap and I think each one has their merits, even though they may not strictly reflect what was seen in the movies. Taken to the extreme, we have Sideshow's Mythos Alien Warrior, which some will like, while others will decry as being nothing like the original (which is the point, in this case). TL;DR, for Alien fans, we're lucky we have so many different companies putting out different products which are sure to please someone. Variety is a good thing!

Great post...

For years, we've had aliens that were close to looking right but never good enough. I just hate to see the missed opportunity for the ultimate big chap by a company that has so much muscle in the market. I realize that any statue can never be perfect because everything is subjective. This one isn't bad at all and I may end up getting it or talking myself out of it like I did the Mamegyorai. Lol!

I understand what your saying and coming from but often with these high end statues comes a high end price, so since they have gone to the trouble of getting the license they should make the statue as accurate as possible and if you like something different then you customise it to your liking, after all if I want an artistic interpretation of Big Chap I could save my self a lot of money by buying some toothpicks and a banana, placing the picks into the banana for the Big Chaps arms and legs and call it a day. As for all the companies releasing the same product, not really there are so many different poses that would make a world of difference to the buyers.

I understand what your saying and coming from but often with these high end statues comes a high end price, so since they have gone to the trouble of getting the license they should make the statue as accurate as possible and if you like something different then you customise it to your liking, after all if I want an artistic interpretation of Big Chap I could save my self a lot of money by buying some toothpicks and a banana, placing the picks into the banana for the Big Chaps arms and legs and call it a day. As for all the companies releasing the same product, not really there are so many different poses that would make a world of difference to the buyers.

Can You actually point out the problem with the so called inaccuracies?? Or are You just into Bananas?

For my part, I don't really see any glaring inaccuracies, it's just that it looks very stylised. Oddly enough, it's too thin! The shape of the dome seems a bit off as well. Also, I find that the ribbing on the entire figure just looks too sharp, it should look more "rounded"... or maybe it's the paint app that highlights the detail too much.In general, I find the paint apps overdone, but that's really a matter of taste.

There was this old (allegedly) screen used suit up for auction a few years ago, I think it was the inspiration for McFarlane's MM figure from the early 00's. I think that paint app would be an interesting thing to see in a high end collectible. You can still see Giger's paint application on it, as well as the underlying color of the suit where the paint was rubbed off or disolved by the KY-Jelly they kept putting on it to make it look slimy.

Found a pic:
alien-main-image.jpg

Anyway, I'm here just for the fun of it, I don't have the money to buy these statues anyway! :lol
But, if I could, I think I'd go with the Mamegyorai.

Also found this cool pic of the alien's feet (love the Converse sneakers inside!)
Alien-1979-Foot-Movie-Costume-Latex-Restoration-2_1.jpg

It is a beautiful paint job.
I wonder if anybody will get this, the Mamegyorai and the CP statues. It would be quite a sight to have all those together...
There was also another statue by a Japanese sculptor released a few years ago, also based on the Giger Museum piece, can't remember the name though. It was quite beautiful, I wonder how it holds up next to these new ones.

I actually like the polished symmetry and stylized look of the yoshihiko sano statue

It was clean and deliberate and the colors subtle and flat....
Unfortunately the resin carapace s started receding on some of them

But the scan of Gigers original is still the real deal...it’s the organic sculpture of the original suit minus the screen changes ie gloves and “pants” look minus elbow spurs. Etc

7E0436B9-8A39-41F4-891C-8D3EC36BAA3F.jpeg
4D51525F-3D1C-445A-BD9B-05776C7133D3.jpeg8C8F2F41-D915-4387-9AB6-FF98B2A57C5E.jpeg

What is the dome made out of?

Resin

They said it hadn’t cured completely and when it finally did, it shrank as a result....ideally the should’ve used a purple dyed pvc dome....purple to counteract yellowing over time

Where do you guys think Prime 1 will price this piece? Other similarly scaled pieces seem to be in the $1500USD-$2000USD range; XM Alien = $1600USD, Cool Props= $1500USD, Mamegyorai = $2100USD.

I'll guess $1500 for the museum pose as it likely won't include an additional head. $1700 for the action pose with both heads.

The Museum Pose aka "Stand" version is listed as coming soon in today's newsletter. I would imagine it would be up for PO in the next couple of weeks or so.

I've been pouring over all of these new Alien pieces for a while. There's too many to choose from! For the longest time it was just the CM in 1/3 scale..[emoji43]

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Back