Statue Prime 1 Studio - The Dark Knight Returns "Frank Miller"[1/3 Scale]

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This bat is almost a perfect combination of comic and realistic style.
Full of details and lots of iconic accessories.
The only thing they could do better is the cape.
It's too thick and the flat texture of the edge just makes it looks like a big cookie.....(my last pic)

However, overall, I still think it's the best from P1 batman line so far.

DSC_7405.jpg
DSC_7333.jpg
DSC_7341.jpg
DSC_7386.jpg
DSC_7380.jpg
DSC_7382.jpg
DSC_7351.jpg
DSC_7369.jpg

Absobloodylutely mate! He wore this suit towards the end of the first half of this story arc(issue #2) and on the second half of it(issues #3 and #4)...I do not know why there has always been confusion in regards of this, Prime 1 Studio's approach for these bust and statue are based on second suit wore in The Dark Knight Returns where the color tone and Bat logo on the suit are different, even though it is never black, at times the suit is depicted gray-blueish, gray or dark-gray-almost-black which is the one used for this statue.

View attachment 348815 View attachment 348816

:goodpost:

To me though, since the source material that inspired the game skin this statue is based on contains a lot of inconsistencies in the first place, "accuracy" issues can be a moot point. Maybe Miller didn't care much about the details, maybe Varley sometimes run out of grey paint so there'd be more blue or maybe it's just the printing that caused it -- the suit color is like Han Solo's jacket. Like I said before, Mezco profited a lot from this scenario :lol

Bat emblem sometimes had 5 points at the bottom (and the cowl more grey)
1986-Frank-Miller-Dark-Knight-2.jpg

Sometimes there's more (and the suit more blue than grey/black and sometimes within the same sequence he had that holster beside his boots sometimes he didn't)
BatmanTDKR3-142+Hunt+The+Dark+Knight.jpg

At one time, upon coming out of the tank, the yellow oval suit became a black-cowled suit
frank_miller_dark_knight_6_102012.jpg

Now as for Prime1 itself, thank goodness they can make this figure under the Arkham City license. So the statue we'll have isn't really from the book, but from a derivative. But did they sculpt this accurately to the game model like they did their other figures? No. Prime1 played around with it. Made it look more like the comic, and took some liberties. The gauntlet fins are gold like in BvS. The headsculpt doesn't look like the game model, and has white eyes like in the comics, no pupils like in the game. Pose, bat emblem, and high-cut trunks from Gabrielle Del Otto's TDKIII Cover variant. Rifle's a nice add but inaccurate accessory to the suit of choice, I would have been happier if it was the EX and the multi-batarang hand a regular.

Maybe Prime1 could have just made this dark blue to begin with, with the bat-emblem swappable via magnets, and an extra leg belt pouch for the right thigh. Maybe a lot more would have been happier even at an additional cost for those add-ons, but as it is, this figure is what it is: still one of the best Batman statues to date and I'm looking forward to getting mine :) Been waiting for years for Sideshow to come up with a PF of both suits from the book but I figured when that day comes either I'm too old or PFs would already cost as much as this 1/3 beast. Meantime they can't be bothered and would rather make a 1/5 Bat-monster which is beautifully sculpted but still an odd choice.

So. What inaccuracies? :lol

Maybe Prime1 could have just made this dark blue to begin with, with the bat-emblem swappable via magnets, and an extra leg belt pouch for the right thigh. Maybe a lot more would have been happier even at an additional cost for those add-ons, but as it is, this figure is what it is: still one of the best Batman statues to date and I'm looking forward to getting mine :) Been waiting for years for Sideshow to come up with a PF of both suits from the book but I figured when that day comes either I'm too old or PFs would already cost as much as this 1/3 beast. Meantime they can't be bothered and would rather make a 1/5 Bat-monster which is beautifully sculpted but still an odd choice.

You'll never please everyone bro.

As far as SS goes... youre so right, they pump out 2nd tier characters or invest in second runs of characters and variants, and have YET to produce tier 1 characters the fans having been screaming for. This Gotham (K)Nightmare line, cool, but why? Finish the JL line for ***s sake. Someone mentioned A.D.D. at Sideshow, so true LOL. SMH

I'm looking forward to the flood of custom capes and assorted custom mods...

IDK bro, these are too expensive for most to start dropping coin on custom pieces, don't hold your breath. However, I could see someone painting the black blue but I would wait, I think a blue variant is on the horizon.

This bat is almost a perfect combination of comic and realistic style.
Full of details and lots of iconic accessories.
The only thing they could do better is the cape.
It's too thick and the flat texture of the edge just makes it looks like a big cookie.....(my last pic)

However, overall, I still think it's the best from P1 batman line so far.

View attachment 348870
View attachment 348871
View attachment 348872
View attachment 348873
View attachment 348874
View attachment 348875
View attachment 348876
View attachment 348877

This statue kick so much arse lads!!! I have it a nice spot next to me Batffleck 1:2 scale...these will be the perfect complement. :wink1:

I think it was the author's intentionality for it's graphic novel to look the way it did...drawing inaccuracies tend to happen more often that you think,

At the end the final result was a Masterpiece and that's what matters right?

Yeah, I think Prime 1 give themselves some artist freedom to create something different but familiar and essential...Rifle is used during the first half of the story arc while wearing a different suit but I think its really cool what it was done with the concept.

This statue should be central in any Batman collection no doubt about it. He is such a badarse. :wink1:

:goodpost:

To me though, since the source material that inspired the game skin this statue is based on contains a lot of inconsistencies in the first place, "accuracy" issues can be a moot point. Maybe Miller didn't care much about the details, maybe Varley sometimes run out of grey paint so there'd be more blue or maybe it's just the printing that caused it -- the suit color is like Han Solo's jacket. Like I said before, Mezco profited a lot from this scenario :lol

Bat emblem sometimes had 5 points at the bottom (and the cowl more grey)
1986-Frank-Miller-Dark-Knight-2.jpg

Sometimes there's more (and the suit more blue than grey/black and sometimes within the same sequence he had that holster beside his boots sometimes he didn't)
View attachment 348906

At one time, upon coming out of the tank, the yellow oval suit became a black-cowled suit
frank_miller_dark_knight_6_102012.jpg

Now as for Prime1 itself, thank goodness they can make this figure under the Arkham City license. So the statue we'll have isn't really from the book, but from a derivative. But did they sculpt this accurately to the game model like they did their other figures? No. Prime1 played around with it. Made it look more like the comic, and took some liberties. The gauntlet fins are gold like in BvS. The headsculpt doesn't look like the game model, and has white eyes like in the comics, no pupils like in the game. Pose, bat emblem, and high-cut trunks from Gabrielle Del Otto's TDKIII Cover variant. Rifle's a nice add but inaccurate accessory to the suit of choice, I would have been happier if it was the EX and the multi-batarang hand a regular.

So. What inaccuracies? :lol

From FB:

"Dark knight returns Batman statue and bust are from the Arkham city license. Now that p1 has the actual DKR license, u can expect more from the DKR license."

So we can expect to see more characters from this licence, maybe Carrie, The Joker, Mutant Leader :)

I think it was the author's intentionality for it's graphic novel to look the way it did...drawing inaccuracies tend to happen more often that you think,

At the end the final result was a Masterpiece and that's what matters right?

Yeah, I think Prime 1 give themselves some artist freedom to create something different but familiar and essential...Rifle is used during the first half of the story arc while wearing a different suit but I think its really cool what it was done with the concept.

This statue should be central in any Batman collection no doubt about it. He is such a badarse. :wink1:

Believe me, my friend. I KNOW. :wink1:

Anyway, just to be clear, I didn't post my lengthy statement to throw a shot at the book -- TDKR is my #1 Batman book (followed by Year One), and the TDKR Animated movie(s) are my most-watched DC Animated films, again followed only by the Year One animated movie. The inconsistencies make it more nuanced to me, and does not take away from the fact that it's a storytelling opus. It wasn't meant to throw shade at the statue either. Like I said, I am very much excited to get mine :)

I did not mean to hit you with that line intentionally neither lad...I can tell from a mile away that you are comic book savvy so no worries there.

Definitely The Dark Knight Returns saga in all its forms is one of the most enjoyable of things in my geek life so I can relate to that(Year One is also great):wink1:.

I have separate the space to display this huge fella next to my Batffeck 1:2 scale...I could not be more excited about it :yess:

Believe me, my friend. I KNOW. :wink1:

Anyway, just to be clear, I didn't post my lengthy statement to throw a shot at the book -- TDKR is my #1 Batman book (followed by Year One), and the TDKR Animated movie(s) are my most-watched DC Animated films, again followed only by the Year One animated movie. The inconsistencies make it more nuanced to me, and does not take away from the fact that it's a storytelling opus. It wasn't meant to throw shade at the statue either. Like I said, I am very much excited to get mine :)

I did not mean to hit you with that line intentionally neither lad...I can tell from a mile away that you are comic book savvy so no worries there.

Definitely The Dark Knight Returns saga in all its forms is one of the most enjoyable of things in my geek life so I can relate to that(Year One is also great):wink1:.

I have separate the space to display this huge fella next to my Batffeck 1:2 scale...I could not be more excited about it :yess:

No worries, buddy :duff:duff

Now, about that comment by Mr Loke that P1 already has the license to the TDKR book -- I'm looking around to see where I'd fit a proper comic-based ARMORED BATMAN in 1/3 scale :lol

Tell me about it! I have the Armored Batman from the 1:2 line also coming and just when I thought it will be the only thing TDKR related/based statue this comes around and BOOM!!! Now I have to make plans for whenever this other fella comes out for pre-ordering...So if I would do that for Batman and Armored I will ended up doing the same when a TDKR Superman comes up...I am doomed is what I am saying...Space consuming from these pieces is always the main problem...Where would I put all these amazing stuff :thud:

No worries, buddy :duff:duff

Now, about that comment by Mr Loke that P1 already has the license to the TDKR book -- I'm looking around to see where I'd fit a proper comic-based ARMORED BATMAN in 1/3 scale :lol

Back