Prime 1 Studio Darkseid 1/4 scale

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You guys are dreaming.

DC was bigger than Marvel in the beginning. Not only that, DC would sue any comic company that copied their superheroes ....shutting down many comic companies as a result.

Because of that Marvel had to get creative. They decided on creating characters that were more relatable ...more "human and flawed" compared to DC's characters that were more like gods than human. That's why they created the Fantastic Four, Spider-Man, X-Men, etc. None of those were copies of DC characters.

In fact, creating more "human and flawed" superheroes made Marvel a success. It made their superheroes more relatable. And it help Marvel grow to be a direct rival to DC. When DC realized they were losing readers because of that, they followed suit and tried to make their superheroes more relatable too. They copied Marvel ...and if DC didn't do that, they would've lost the fight.

Now ...did Marvel copy DC in some ways? Yes.

But you better believe DC copied Marvel in some ways, too.

You do realize you can't keep the characters the same from when they where created because over 80 years time change and you need to adjust to suit the current times hence new 52 and rebirth (major overhauls). Maybe Marvel did that first i am not sure. Marvel have had firsts in the comic world not just DC.

Anyhow what doesn't change is Thanos is a copy of Darkseid, Deadpool is a copy of Deathstroke etc. Now i don't mind the comics doing that because i enjoy the stories of DC and Marvel but what i do mind is people telling me they didn't copy and bring out all the excuses to make their claim valid which it is not.

You do realize you can't keep the characters the same from when they where created because over 80 years time change and you need to adjust to suit the current times hence new 52 and rebirth (major overhauls). Maybe Marvel did that first i am not sure. Marvel have had firsts in the comic world not just DC.

That's the thing, DC was going to keep their characters the same. Until Marvel came along and started getting popular because of their method. DC needed to make a change because of that. The direction they took was similar to what Marvel was doing.

Anyhow what doesn't change is Thanos is a copy of Darkseid, Deadpool is a copy of Deathstroke etc. Now i don't mind the comics doing that because i enjoy the stories of DC and Marvel but what i do mind is people telling me they didn't copy and bring out all the excuses to make their claim valid which it is not.

Oh, you mean like people saying DC never copied Marvel? Or, people making claims that DC did everything first?

C'mon ....I know what you mean, but people do that to Marvel, too.

Plus ...I don't think anyone claimed "Thanos is not a copy of Darkseid" in this discussion. We were just comparing between the P1 Darkseid statue and SSC Thanos Maquette.

That's the thing, DC was going to keep their characters the same. Until Marvel came along and started getting popular because of their method. DC needed to make a change because of that. The direction they took was similar to what Marvel was doing.

Oh, you mean like people saying DC never copied Marvel? Or, people making claims that DC did everything first?

C'mon ....I know what you mean, but people do that to Marvel, too.

Plus ...I don't think anyone claimed "Thanos is not a copy of Darkseid" in this discussion. We were just comparing between the P1 Darkseid statue and SSC Thanos Maquette.

Both have made epic contributions to the comic world there is no denying that I just hate fanboys (not you i mean in general) who say things like they didn't copy this or copy that. Thanos is a copy of Darkseid and if you say that DC copied the innovations of Marvel (assuming you are correct) than that happened and i have no issues with it because it pushes both to make us better stories.

By the way Darkseid is my favorite villain and i like the TOT marquette better than this statue and i really like this statue.

Darkseid first appeared in the comic Superman's pal, Jimmy Olson (#134) November 1970.

Thanos first appeared in Iron Man (#55) February 1973.

The creator of Thanos Jim Starlin had come out saying he was instructed by his editor at Marvel comics to copy Darkseid.

Here's a quote by Jim.

Kirby had done the New Gods, which I thought was terrific. He was over at DC at the time. I came up with some things that were inspired by that. You'd think that Thanos was inspired by Darkseid, but that was not the case when I showed up. In my first Thanos drawings, if he looked like anybody, it was Metron. I had all these different gods and things I wanted to do, which became Thanos and the Titans. Roy took one look at the guy in the Metron-like chair and said:*"Beef him up! If you're going to steal one of the New Gods, at least rip off Darkseid, the really good one!"

I know that quote Thanos might have had some inspiration from other characters to but it was mainly Darskeid.

By the way Darkseid should have been a Marvel Villain but Marvel didn't want new gods and Kirby switched to DC and made history there.

Both have made epic contributions to the comic world there is no denying that I just hate fanboys (not you i mean in general) who say things like they didn't copy this or copy that. Thanos is a copy of Darkseid and if you say that DC copied the innovations of Marvel (assuming you are correct) than that happened and i have no issues with it because it pushes both to make us better stories.

By the way Darkseid is my favorite villain and i like the TOT marquette better than this statue and i really like this statue.

No doubt ...Thanos is based on Darkseid. Both were created by the same artist ...and Darkseid came first.

I'm a Darkseid fan, too. That's why I was disappointed when SSC released their Darkseid PF. I was expecting that Darkseid PF to be spectacular, but it didn't meet my expectations. Then SSC releases a Thanos Maq and that totally blew me away. So pissed that SSC didn't give Darkseid the same justice.

So right now, I'm waiting for an awesome 1/4 scale classic Darkseid statue. SSC should revisit Darkseid ...and make a statue of him similar to what they did with Thanos.

P1 Darkseid New 52

Absolutely magnificent. For anyone wondering, he's exactly around 31 1/4" tall. My Pax shelf is set to 32 1/2" and I still have about an inch clearance. You'll need about 21" depth (with a door closed) and 22" width the way I have him positioned.... could be slightly less or more depending on the angle.

Im just so happy he fits perfect where I wanted to keep him. Excuse the mess in the background.. was checking for any defects.. statue is flawless.

Artbox/shipper is about the size of Green Lanterns (thought it would be larger but GL was huge for a small statue). Statue is heavy but nothing too crazy.. similar to the other new 52 and Im guessing most P1 pieces.

There's some comparison photos of Sideshow Darkseid.

Don't hesitate to order, piece is beautiful in hand... you know he's good when he still looks good in crappy photos.

View attachment 421644

The difference in size between the two pieces makes me think Sideshow got the scale badly wrong. I'd love to see a 1/4 scale Superman next to him.

Prime 1 really knocked this out the park again. Love the detailing on the face and armour, the eyes almost look like light up features.

AC_808 said:
In fact, creating more "human and flawed" superheroes made Marvel a success. It made their superheroes more relatable. And it help Marvel grow to be a direct rival to DC. When DC realized they were losing readers because of that, they followed suit and tried to make their superheroes more relatable too. They copied Marvel ...and if DC didn't do that, they would've lost the fight.

Now ...did Marvel copy DC in some ways? Yes.

But you better believe DC copied Marvel in some ways, too.

Surely DC already had the 'human and flawed' thing well covered with Batman.

There is a big difference between changing style and outright copying characters. Besides I feel DC and Marvel still have their own distinctive styles and tones.

As you said Marvel have created lots of great characters of their own. Spiderman and Wolverine are my two favourite Marvel characters because they are original. The ones they stole from DC will always be inferior copies in my eyes.

Surely DC already had the 'human and flawed' thing well covered with Batman.

There is a big difference between changing style and outright copying characters. Besides I feel DC and Marvel still have their own distinctive styles and tones.

As you said Marvel have created lots of great characters of their own. Spiderman and Wolverine are my two favourite Marvel characters because they are original. The ones they stole from DC will always be inferior copies in my eyes.

Now they have ...but not when Batman first started out. In the beginning, DC used the death of Bruce's parents as his driving force to fight crime. Bruce trained himself mentally and physically to be the best crime fighter he could be because of that driving force. But DC didn't explore the deeper emotional side of that equation. In fact, DC made Bruce the best detective in the DC Universe. He even had what seemed to be infinite financial resources to build any weapon, vehicle, etc. he needed.

It wasn't until Marvel started creating superheroes that were "human and flawed" ...and became successful because of it ...then DC started exploring more of the emotional side of Batman. That's when they started showing the conflict and emotional scars that came with Bruce witnessing his parent's death.

Remember, Bob Kane was trying to create another superhero like Superman. And in the beginning, Superman was invincible ...basically unbeatable. Bob Kane wanted the same for Batman.

Now they have ...but not when Batman first started out. In the beginning, DC used the death of Bruce's parents as his driving force to fight crime. Bruce trained himself mentally and physically to be the best crime fighter he could be because of that driving force. But DC didn't explore the deeper emotional side of that equation. In fact, DC made Bruce the best detective in the DC Universe. He even had what seemed to be infinite financial resources to build any weapon, vehicle, etc. he needed.

It wasn't until Marvel started creating superheroes that were "human and flawed" ...and became successful because of it ...then DC started exploring more of the emotional side of Batman. That's when they started showing the conflict and emotional scars that came with Bruce witnessing his parent's death.

Remember, Bob Kane was trying to create another superhero like Superman. And in the beginning, Superman was invincible ...basically unbeatable. Bob Kane wanted the same for Batman.

I did not know that about Batman having not read the earliest issues. Hopefully they reprint some around the time of the Detective Comics #1000 celebration(technically he didn't appear until issue 27 I know). I suppose the characters will always continue to evolve over time. It's always funny reading the first issues of Superman when he isn't able to fly, the power I most associate with him.

Not my photo but someone mentioned the Superman PF next to him.. here you go, looks great.

FB_IMG_1533560947732.jpg

Back