Prime 1 Studio’s Batman: The Dark Knight Returns Bust (Blue Version) SDCC Exclusive

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congrats to everyone who go one. Even if I happened to have had a trip to for the previous SDCC scheduled, I won't be able to get this without spending so much more money having it shipped back home seeing how big the box is. And after seeing the full figure for the first time last weekend, I now understand how this bust could be that big, even compared to the AK Batman bust. What a beast.

Are my eyes fooling me, or are the edges on the cape for this bust do look more rounded compared to the full figure's? Could be just the color creating the illusion, but it does look more rounded out, making it look more like a natural fabric instead of sculpted.

I'm sure someone can confirm once some collectors get both the bust and full figure on hand.

OSlNAbw.jpg

O0qgrjh.jpg

rwbkB4N.jpg

7EbObYU.jpg

16NTfyY.jpg

WILL POST A DETAILED REVIEW LATER TODAY.

Last edited:
THE BATMAN PROFESSOR REVIEW

9.5/10

I really wanted to give this bust a perfect score, but there are some (very) small nits to pick.

The bust, with grimacing sculpt is pretty damn awesome, capturing the pent-up fury of an aging Batman, about to unleash his wrath. I've been very vocal in the past about disliking digital sculpts, feeling that they lose "the noise of life" that a sculptor brings to a piece using traditional materials and tools. This piece shows that PRIME 1 has assembled digital artists who understand that nothing in nature is truly symmetrical, and each surface brings its own unique texture. The cowl, cape, tunic, chest emblem, and Batman's exposed face have their individual textures, with the tunic looking absolutely cloth-like. Combined with the superior paint applications, even the most trained eye is fooled into thinking this is a multimedia collectible until you handle it. The only pick I have in the entire affair as shown in the photos above (featuring the grimacing expression) is that the leather texture of the cape and cowl could have been toned down just a bit. Overall this is a fantastic piece. In a word, WOW.

The smiling portrait is much better in person than some of the previously posted photos had lead me to believe. In hand, it does not look quite as bonkers as I had feared. Still, I'm not wild about the loose front tooth, and feel it would have more context if there was some blood in the mouth. Otherwise it leaves you wondering how a billionaire could have such crooked teeth.

One other thing that bothers me is the structure of the cowl's nose piece. I wish it were a bit more angular and did not ride up on his nose quite so much. It's more bothersome on the smiling portrait, and one more reason that I'll be displaying the grimacing portrait on this bad boy.

Special mention goes to the packaging, which is so nice that I'm thinking of turning the box into a pedestal that the bust will sit atop.

Last edited:
holy crap!! you gotta do an umasked portrait for the full statue brother!! put me on the list NOW!!:thud:

I'd love to get the clean cowled head in black for my full statue. I wonder how much Tony would charge for it.

Also, I am now more convinced that the edges of the cape on this bust is more rounded off than the full figure's. Looks better and more natural.

Back