PREVIEW : BUFFY PREMIUM FORMAT

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ffl1940 said:
... the costuming on this figure is so simple (i.e. the profit margin could be considerably more than some other 1/4th figures at the $250 price)...
I asked SC Creative Director Tom Gilliland about this during his Toy Fair chat, and posted his response back on page page 19, post #186, of this thread.

Basically, they're testing the waters with this one, and most of the budget went toward developing the SMG-specific body and experimenting with treatments for the hair.

Initially, I was disappointed that the design was based solely on the early WB promo pics and that the figure lacked the full PF monty, but I'm satisfied with Tom's explanation as to why, and will be keeping my order for the exclusive to show my support for Sideshow's willingness to take on the risk of green-lighting a PF Buffy in the first place.

Viva Buffy! :stake

prmtv.gif

Good point. I (we) called for a Buffy PF and got it. To top it off, it's a damn fantastic PF Figure. So even with the small complaints such as preferring the cross necklace over the book and not liking the name plate, I'm sticking with this exclusive version and won't cancel it for a (most likely cheaper) regular version. Although I would be interested in knowing how sales are going for both the exclusive and regular editions?

Fritz said:
Good point. I (we) called for a Buffy PF and got it. To top it off, it's a damn fantastic PF Figure. So even with the small complaints such as preferring the cross necklace over the book and not liking the name plate, I'm sticking with this exclusive version and won't cancel it for a (most likely cheaper) regular version. Although I would be interested in knowing how sales are going for both the exclusive and regular editions?

Im staying with the excl too, not because its like just mindblowing, but because I think its nice to have something not many others have, makes it alittle more sepcial to me. Plus it does look very good at her feet I must say.:D

don't get the wrong idea, I'm getting the figure, it looks fantastic, but I reserve the right to nitpick!!! :D

ffl1940 said:
My one real beef with this figure is the price when comparing it to the John Wayne figure, for instance, Buffy gets almost nothing in the way of clothing....not that that's necessarily a bad thing, :joy but I think that the price point should have been lower when considering that.

Yeah, I agree....$250.ooUS is really pushing the limits for this statue...I mean Sarah is short as it is....so the 1/4 scale isn't exactly going to be HUGE...The Lurtz PF I.M.O. is way more detailed, has more work involved in it...is bigger...but, only sells for $100.oo US more??? The LOTR Sauron Statue, which had PLENTY of problems in design work, HUGE size, heaps of detail.. etc. etc. sold for only $50.oo US more...:confused:

Maybe...Premium Format....just means Premium BUCK$$$$ :rolleyes:

I am still deciding whether or not to keep my order.

darth dyp**** said:
Yeah, I agree....$250.ooUS is really pushing the limits for this statue...I mean Sarah is short as it is....so the 1/4 scale isn't exactly going to be HUGE...The Lurtz PF I.M.O. is way more detailed, has more work involved in it...is bigger...but, only sells for $100.oo US more??? The LOTR Sauron Statue, which had PLENTY of problems in design work, HUGE size, heaps of detail.. etc. etc. sold for only $50.oo US more...:confused:

Maybe...Premium Format....just means Premium BUCK$$$$ :rolleyes:

I am still deciding whether or not to keep my order.

The more I linger on it, the more I feel the same way. $250 just seems like too much for this piece, especially when I compare it to my PF Dracula which has a beautifully tailored suit and cape. I'm really more of an Angel fan anyway, I guess I just got caught up in the excitement of pre-ordering PF Buffy. This one's gone from a must have to a probable pass for me.

TheObsoleteMan said:
The more I linger on it, the more I feel the same way. $250 just seems like too much for this piece, especially when I compare it to my PF Dracula which has a beautifully tailored suit and cape. I'm really more of an Angel fan anyway, I guess I just got caught up in the excitement of pre-ordering PF Buffy. This one's gone from a must have to a probable pass for me.

wow. I just hope theres a PF Angel on the way.

AND a PF Mal and River!!!:joy :joy :joy

TheObsoleteMan said:
The more I linger on it, the more I feel the same way. $250 just seems like too much for this piece, especially when I compare it to my PF Dracula which has a beautifully tailored suit and cape.

I've been thinking of cancelling my exclusive order because of that, and getting the regular edition for $212 shipping included. The PF Buffy has a fantastic sculpt, but the promo pic outfit is fairly simplistic and uncharacteristic and the Vampyr book seems--just my opinion--to be an especially lame accessory since she doesn't hold it with her free hand. There's a 1:1 replica of the Vampyr book which I as a Buffy collector already have; a 1:4 replica which just lays between Buffy's legs on her base would be iffy even it weren't redundant. If she were at least holding it beside her hip, I think it would add to the figure, but sitting at her feet it doesn't IMHO.

Buffy had 7 seasons of greatness to draw from. It's somewhat disappointing that Sideshow stuck with a very early photo shoot and a very early exclusive accessory which just lays there. If it had to be something which lays on the ground, why not something more interesting like a demon head, or her tombstone (the real one from her death in S5 not the one in the vampire dream), or a Hellmouth seal from S7, or Hellmouth tentacles from S1, or some Master bones, or Olaf's hammer, or the shadow casters, or the Glove of Mynnigon, or a hatching demon egg--or any number of things which would've probably looked better sitting on the base than the Vampyr book.

Again, it's just my opinion as a Buffy fan who only buys Sideshow's Buffy/Angel figures and none of their other lines, but I found Sideshow's choice of outfit/source material and choice of exclusive accessory to be disappointing. They're the sort of basic choices that people doing introductory research on the show would probably make, but which fans of the show would probably pass over in favor of more exciting possibilities. It's nice for a plain figure based on an early promo pic, and I'll buy one--but it's not as exciting as it could've been.

Last edited:
For me, likeness is the key. Sure PF Vader and Lurtz and Dracula have intricate details in costume, but they are "easier" statues to make compared to a human face. As long as it looks like SMG, and I believe this one really does, then the actual pose or exclusive accessory doesn't matter much. Just my .02

SergeiEsenin said:
I've been thinking of cancelling my exclusive order because of that, and getting the regular edition for $212 shipping included. The PF Buffy has a fantastic sculpt, but the promo pic outfit is fairly simplistic and uncharacteristic and the Vampyr book seems--just my opinion--to be an especially lame accessory since she doesn't hold it with her free hand. There's a 1:1 replica of the Vampyr book which I as a Buffy collector already have; a 1:4 replica which just lays between Buffy's legs on her base would be iffy even it weren't redundant. If she were at least holding it beside her hip, I think it would add to the figure, but sitting at her feet it doesn't IMHO.

Buffy had 7 seasons of greatness to draw from. It's somewhat disappointing that Sideshow stuck with a very early photo shoot and a very early exclusive accessory which just lays there. If it had to be something which lays on the ground, why not something more interesting like a demon head, or her tombstone (the real one from her death in S5 not the one in the vampire dream), or a Hellmouth seal from S7, or Hellmouth tentacles from S1, or some Master bones, or Olaf's hammer, or the shadow casters, or the Glove of Mynnigon, or a hatching demon egg--or any number of things which would've probably looked better sitting on the base than the Vampyr book.

Again, it's just my opinion as a Buffy fan who only buys Sideshow's Buffy/Angel figures and none of their other lines, but I found Sideshow's choice of outfit/source material and choice of exclusive accessory to be disappointing. They're the sort of basic choices that people doing introductory research on the show would probably make, but which fans of the show would probably pass over in favor of more exciting possibilities. It's nice for a plain figure based on an early promo pic, and I'll buy one--but it's not as exciting as it could've been.

OMG, U gave me the BEST Idea for an exclusive!!!!

have an ajoining piece that goes behind her with tenacle and the hellmouth heads like sort of coming up behind her, swinging round, and shes still standing there, as cool and an ice cube.

THAT WOULD HAVE BEEN THE GREATEST EXCLUSIVE EVER! and it goes with the PF attire.

now Im pissed that we dont have it, so thankyou very much!

Hmmm I'm kind torn on the exclusive, so I will most likely cancell unless its a small edition size which I kind of doubt it. What I thought was if it didn't go in her hand then have a cool sculpted stand for it, something like Doom's Stand. That you could display it and have either a closed version or open version.

Viking28 said:
Hmmm I'm kind torn on the exclusive, so I will most likely cancell unless its a small edition size which I kind of doubt it. What I thought was if it didn't go in her hand then have a cool sculpted stand for it, something like Doom's Stand. That you could display it and have either a closed version or open version.

Well maybe, sicne they listen to their buyers, they'll change the exclusive so it will have a stand open and closed like you said, but I'd prefer the cross necklace!

BigLeagueChu said:
For me, likeness is the key. Sure PF Vader and Lurtz and Dracula have intricate details in costume, but they are "easier" statues to make compared to a human face. As long as it looks like SMG, and I believe this one really does, then the actual pose or exclusive accessory doesn't matter much. Just my .02

Yeah, sure, getting the likeness at least remotely close is a big deal, and would have to be included in factoring the final price point...But, considering what goes into the costume etc. on this piece, which, lets face it, on the surface, doesn't seem much... $250.oo buckeroos, is a fair whack! Maybe it is to pay for Buffy's boob job!:wacky :D

And I agree, a WAY better/ more original exclusive could have been used...The rocket launcher to kill the Judge, would have been another cool one!

Buffy PF

What do you think of the PF Figure of Buffy? That is a great likeness of Sarah Michelle Gellar. I'm tempted....

7157_press03-001.jpg

There, so you all can see better. :naughty

Last edited:
Re: Buffy PF

The sculpter does many good sculpts of women. Here is another great "bust".

8410_image03.jpg

Re: Buffy PF

I think its beautiful, I have no problems with her 'bust':D

Cant wait for it, its also more exciting as its going to be my first PF.:D :D :D

Back