Preordering Hot Toys

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tcollector

Super Freak
Reaction score
Thought I'd open up this discussion with it's own thread since it seems to be a common topic on all the HT releases. Many seem to be concerned about the rising costs per figure with me included. My question is does preordering really benefit you other than possibly getting the figure earlier.

None of the figures seem to "sell out" before being in stock with most retailers. Also there seems to be some decent discounts if your willing to be patient.:impatient: Example being WM which most retailers have in stock at the preorder price or Gohastings has with a 20% discount. The other example is the T-1000 which FBNYC has on there site for around $125.00.

Unless it's a known limited release like the Guardian Pred. or the new Bat/Scarecrow there doesn't seem to be the urgent need to preorder as long as you purchase in a timely fashion.

So what's your take? :wave

Last edited:
We don't know what figure will set out faster and what won't. Some will take time. It's all guess work based on figure and previous experience.

DX Joker was on the market for quite a while... and now that it's sold out, the prices are marked up 200% or more.

Sideshow Exclusive stuff I pre-order immediately because they always sell out. DX Bruce Lee + extra non-BD body exclusive for example (and I can imagine it being very sought after now).

Yes that's my point with the DX Joker, as long as you buy the figure within a few months (or more) of release it's still available and in some cases at a better price. Now if you wait too long (when gone from relailers) that's when things might get spendy.

Like diminishin said it all depends. I have always been the wait and see philosophy but I waited too long and missed get the Mark 4 from the AlterEgo and they are my main supplier. So I ended up ordering through CornerStore instead. Not a big deal but I missed the points for future purchases. Also pre ordering can usually get you at least a 10% discount from many of the suppliers. That gohastings discount looks good but that's off retail. I also have to pay sales taxes so unless its a hard to find item or they have one of those crazy discounts(DX Bats for $108. Hell Yeah) I will stick with my normals.

I usually always wait a month after a figure is out depending on the figure. Someone like Royce or Hans Landa I'll usually wait out and snag from eBay or a sale. If I’m paying $145 bucks for these guys I might as well try to save $20 or $30 bucks. But someone like the T1T-800 or Predator who I know isn’t going to come down much in price I'll preorder and get right away.

Oh okay, thanks. I wasnt sure what he was talking about.

Last edited:
Sorry for the typo. I've always pre ordered and mainly from Alter Ego, but I'm noticing a trend on many figures that I could have waited till it was in stock and picked it up for the same price as the po. There are exceptions but often you can find it from somewhere other than your preferred retailer.

Sorry for the typo. I've always pre ordered and mainly from Alter Ego, but I'm noticing a trend on many figures that I could have waited till it was in stock and picked it up for the same price as the po. There are exceptions but often you can find it from somewhere other than your preferred retailer.

I order with alterego most of the time, but id say you might aswell preorder so you can get rewards points and also guarantee that you'll get one.

If it is a female figure, you are usually safe to wait. They seem to sit around and can be had for good deals later. Don't wait on most Marvel or Predator items though.

Back